Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having owned a Model Y would you consider the F-150 lightening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The F150 Lightning is an amazing vehicle, which I see as IDEAL as a locally used working vehicle.

I see no comparison to the Model Y, they are completely different.

Once it arrives my Model Y will likely replace my F150 for runs into town that dont require truck functionality. MY may replace the ICE F150 as the preferred road trip vehicle, we will see.

Right now I am unconvinced the Lightning will charge fast enough for road tripping, but for use around the county where it can charge in the garage overnight it looks sweet. The ability to power job site tools is a hard win for people that work outside with tools.

I plan to hang on to my current F150 for some years. However, if I was shopping for a truck today the Lightning would be on the short list.

Reactions: Ogre
I plan to hang on to my current F150 for some years. However, if I was shopping for a truck today the Lightning would be on the short list.
An electric truck can only be on someone's short list if you can actually buy it in a timely fashion.

Cybertruck? Nope.
F150 Lightning? If you have a reservation coming up.
Rivian? If you have a reservation coming up.

Hummer? ... Are you insane?

Reactions: zpaul and Whtrbt7
I traded my 2014 F150 5.0 for my current Model Y. I really didn't have use for a truck any longer, If I ever did the F150 would be on my short list of EV Trucks to consider. Not that there is a long list of EV Trucks anyway...

An electric truck can only be on someone's short list if you can actually buy it in a timely fashion.

Cybertruck? Nope.
F150 Lightning? If you have a reservation coming up.
Rivian? If you have a reservation coming up.

Hummer? ... Are you insane?
Same goes for a Model 3 long range. Now you can't even place one on order.
Even the Model Y is now 8 months out.

Reactions: Ogre
The F150 Lightning is an amazing vehicle, which I see as IDEAL as a locally used working vehicle.

I see no comparison to the Model Y, they are completely different.

Once it arrives my Model Y will likely replace my F150 for runs into town that dont require truck functionality. MY may replace the ICE F150 as the preferred road trip vehicle, we will see.

Right now I am unconvinced the Lightning will charge fast enough for road tripping, but for use around the county where it can charge in the garage overnight it looks sweet. The ability to power job site tools is a hard win for people that work outside with tools.

Only when they sell the cheaper "working people" version. maybe in 10 years? LOL.

The MS/MX are not premium by any means. Compared to other vehicles in the same price range, the interiors and features of the S/X are barebones.
The interior is "barebone" by design. However, the materials used on Tesla cars are nowhere near as good quality as other brands. But, that comes with the Tesla brand. It is what it is. You want it. You take it. No one is forcing anyone to purchase a Tesla.

Cyber truck!
Yes, this what I was thinking about finding a thread such as:

"Would you consider the F-150 lightening or the Rivian R1T"​

or when available. then:

"Would you consider the F-150 lightening, the Rivian R1T, or the Cybertruck"​

About switching beteween the Model Y and any EV pickup truck,
would be more choosing between if you need to transport passengers or freight.

- the Model Y rear trunk, when the seat are folded, provides already a lot of room.

- adding a roof rack allow carring items who would be too long,

- for big and heavy items, like furniture, since the Model Y has a tow hitch, renting a U-Haul trailer is a very simple solution.

- big trucks cannot fit in major home garages, and to park in the street or in public parking can be challenging.

- road trips is my major concern, so efficiency to lower the number of charging stops and charging duration is premium.
I can always find a solution to carry big and heavy stuff otherwise. I can also rent a larger vehicle for a weekend trip if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: nate704

or when available. then:

- the Model Y rear trunk, when the seat are folded, provides already a lot of room.

- for big and heavy items, like furniture, since the Model Y has a tow hitch, renting a U-Haul trailer is a very simple solution.

- big trucks cannot fit in major home garages, and to park in the street or in public parking can be challenging.

- road trips is my major concern, so efficiency to lower the number of charging stops and charging duration is premium.
I can always find a solution to carry big and heavy stuff otherwise. I can also rent a larger vehicle for a weekend trip if needed.
I have a Model Y. Adding racks quickly tanks range and efficiency.

The Y would probably be fine for my needs otherwise, but I'd like to be able to actually get close to 300 miles range on a road trip. (Or at least ~250 miles per leg accounting for reserves and not charging over 80%).

If you don't need racks on your longer range trips, you are spot on, but I've put many more miles on my Y with bike racks on than off.

Of course... I wouldn't buy the Ford Lightning to replace the Y, it's likely going to charge so much slower I wouldn't save any time.

or when available. then:

You are basing your post on logic... most vehicle purchases are based on emotion not logic, otherwise we would all be driving the modern equivelent of a Spark EV 90+% of the time and renting an ICE or flying for long trips.

Keith

Reactions: Watts_Up
You are basing your post on logic... most vehicle purchases are based on emotion not logic, otherwise we would all be driving the modern equivelent of a Spark EV 90+% of the time and renting an ICE or flying for long trips.

Keith
This is why I am so surprised that the Model Y becomes so popular in Asia and Europe.

I was thinking that Tesla in Shangai and Berlin, would had built in parallele
to the Model Y, another factory line to build a smaller Model 2/Q
more fitted to the streets and parkings of those countries.

Reactions: Puma2020
IF i wanted a truck MAYBE, however the Rivian looks way nicer and Ford reliability with cars is crap, not sure about trucks
This. Ford's is having quality issues with their vehicles in general. Recall after Recall on the MME, some very serious. And it seems the Lightning has a lot of electrical problems as well. Their service sucks and the management is worse. It's a real shame because the vehicles themselves have so much potential.

If I was into traditional looking trucks, it would be a Rivian. However, the Cybertruck's coolness factor is on a different level. A coworker who retired ordered one a while back and said he'd make a special trip for me to check it out when he finally gets it. I told him to get ready for the insane amount of attention it's going to get.

This. Ford's is having quality issues with their vehicles in general. Recall after Recall on the MME, some very serious. And it seems the Lightning has a lot of electrical problems as well. Their service sucks and the management is worse. It's a real shame because the vehicles themselves have so much potential.

If I was into traditional looking trucks, it would be a Rivian. However, the Cybertruck's coolness factor is on a different level. A coworker who retired ordered one a while back and said he'd make a special trip for me to check it out when he finally gets it. I told him to get ready for the insane amount of attention it's going to get.

They sell a lot of cars and I suspect the more cars you sell the more recallable issues pop up. I use Ford exclusively for my work fleet and my lowest mileage vehicle has 80k miles on it and all of them have ran with no major issues, except the f250 whose transmission failed two days after taking off the lot; warantee repair.

That said I’d be wary about fords first major foray into EVs….

That said I’d be wary about fords first major foray into EVs….

The 2012 Ford Focus Electric was a real flop...

2012 Ford Focus Electric .jpg

Last edited: