Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having problem setting up Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my Gen 3 Wall Charger installed in my garage. I am using my iPhone 13Pro Max to set it up. When I press the button on the charger and it starts to bling I go to wifi on my phone and connect to the wall charger. It then says no internet connection. If I press the information button next to the wall charger listed on my wifi on my phone there is nothing for me to fill in or put in any passwords. I tried shutting of the power to the charger and starting over but it still does not work. Can anyone help me? If you try to call Tesla there is no one you can speak with. They keep referring you to the internet. I appreciate any help.

When you connect to the local broadcasted WiFi, you have to navigate to the IP address associated to device just like you would with a router or modem. That web address info should be in the instructions or on the device itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I just had my Gen 3 Wall Charger installed in my garage. I am using my iPhone 13Pro Max to set it up. When I press the button on the charger and it starts to bling I go to wifi on my phone and connect to the wall charger. It then says no internet connection. If I press the information button next to the wall charger listed on my wifi on my phone there is nothing for me to fill in or put in any passwords. I tried shutting of the power to the charger and starting over but it still does not work. Can anyone help me? If you try to call Tesla there is no one you can speak with. They keep referring you to the internet. I appreciate any help.
I'm having a similar problem. I'm able to connect to the wall charger's broadcast signal and enter all relevant info and commission it to 60 amps, but it continually says "no internet connection". I've tried changing security protocols WPA3, WPA2, ...etc. but it never connects to the internet. I was able to download the latest firmware update locally, then connect to the charger's network and install it, but the wall charger never reaches the internet. Does it even have to? What's the point of it? If I can DL the firmware updates and install them locally, why do I need internet access on my charger?

This whole thing has me confused.

I'm having a similar problem. I'm able to connect to the wall charger's broadcast signal and enter all relevant info and commission it to 60 amps, but it continually says "no internet connection". I've tried changing security protocols WPA3, WPA2, ...etc. but it never connects to the internet. I was able to download the latest firmware update locally, then connect to the charger's network and install it, but the wall charger never reaches the internet. Does it even have to? What's the point of it? If I can DL the firmware updates and install them locally, why do I need internet access on my charger?

This whole thing has me confused.
When you connect (with your phone) to do the commissioning of the HPWC, during commissioning are you declaring the correct local wifi network to connect to? Can your phone, in the same spot, connect to the local wifi network? How do you even know that the HPWC is or isn't connected to the internet?

There is indeed not much value add to the wifi connection of the HPWC in a residential setting. Its used for power sharing(but I don't think that's using the local wifi network, surely not reaching off the local network!), automatic download of new firmware, potentially billing of tesla users for the energy their car uses, and monitoring/diags by Tesla if needed.

When you connect (with your phone) to do the commissioning of the HPWC, during commissioning are you declaring the correct local wifi network to connect to? Can your phone, in the same spot, connect to the local wifi network? How do you even know that the HPWC is or isn't connected to the internet?

There is indeed not much value add to the wifi connection of the HPWC in a residential setting. Its used for power sharing(but I don't think that's using the local wifi network, surely not reaching off the local network!), automatic download of new firmware, potentially billing of tesla users for the energy their car uses, and monitoring/diags by Tesla if needed.
Hi...thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm selecting the proper local wifi network, and the signal is very strong. I have a beacon (repeater) very near the garage. Regarding your "how do I know..." question, it literally says "not connected to the internet" below the HPWC SSID.

I'm picking up my new car today, so I'll run this by the folks at the Tesla shop...and I've also opened up a ticket with Tesla Support. As long as I can update the firmware on my own, it's not really a big deal, but it still bugs me.

Regarding your "how do I know..." question, it literally says "not connected to the internet" below the HPWC SSID.
That last bit is what concerns me. Where is that being displayed? Is it in your phones general networking screen, or the commissioning screens once you are connected to the HPWC. It is normal for the HPWC SSID to not supply internet access to your phone. Somewhere along the commissioning process you are giving the HPWC your local wifi network/password, and I wouldn't expect the HPWC SSID to be on the screen once that's been done.

I don't right at the moment have a Gen3 wired up, but I'll probably give it a try and see if I can figure out what you are seeing. I checked youtube for some Gen3 provisioning, but unsurprisingly no one wants to share their local network details screens!

I dont know anything about your wall charger but I've had issues connecting several devices to my Wifi network. The culprit has almost always been the way AT&T set up the network to combine 2.4 g and 5 g under the same ID. If a device is 2.4 g only often times it wont make the initial connection. I have to go into the router and disable 5g connect the device and then re-enable 5g. One day im going to go back and give them separate names to avoid this in the future but I.m to lazy.

• Helpful
That last bit is what concerns me. Where is that being displayed? Is it in your phones general networking screen, or the commissioning screens once you are connected to the HPWC. It is normal for the HPWC SSID to not supply internet access to your phone. Somewhere along the commissioning process you are giving the HPWC your local wifi network/password, and I wouldn't expect the HPWC SSID to be on the screen once that's been done.

I don't right at the moment have a Gen3 wired up, but I'll probably give it a try and see if I can figure out what you are seeing. I checked youtube for some Gen3 provisioning, but unsurprisingly no one wants to share their local network details screens!
When I'm looking at my WiFi connections in the "Settings" app, I see the HPWC SSID connected to my router, but right below it, it says "not connected to the internet". It's connecting to my network on 2.4 ghz, as it should, so I'm not sure why it can't reach the outside world.

I dont know anything about your wall charger but I've had issues connecting several devices to my Wifi network. The culprit has almost always been the way AT&T set up the network to combine 2.4 g and 5 g under the same ID. If a device is 2.4 g only often times it wont make the initial connection. I have to go into the router and disable 5g connect the device and then re-enable 5g. One day im going to go back and give them separate names to avoid this in the future but I.m to lazy.
I have an Eero mesh network through RCN, and my router (as most all do) broadcasts 2.4 and 5 GHz, but when the HPWC is connected to the router, it says that it's connected at 2.4 GHz. I think the issue might be WPA protocol. It automatically initiates WPA2 AND WPA3, I don't have the option to deselect WPA3. I'm reading that Tesla might correct this issue in a future firmware release. We'll see.

When I'm looking at my WiFi connections in the "Settings" app, I see the HPWC SSID connected to my router, but right below it, it says "not connected to the internet". It's connecting to my network on 2.4 ghz, as it should, so I'm not sure why it can't reach the outside world.
That's not actually saying that the HPWC itself can't connect to the internet. Its saying that while your phone is connected to the HPWC's wifi via the HPWC SSID, it isn't supplying an internet connection. You can only go further on your phone by entering the commissioning screens by browsing to 192.168.92.1. It is in that commissioning process that you tell the HPWC about your home network. In theory once it is connected, you can go to one of the other devices in your home network and browse to the right address(allocated by your access point, most likely starting with 192.168.1.) to see a really mundane status screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrwug
That's not actually saying that the HPWC itself can't connect to the internet. Its saying that while your phone is connected to the HPWC's wifi via the HPWC SSID, it isn't supplying an internet connection. You can only go further on your phone by entering the commissioning screens by browsing to 192.168.92.1. It is in that commissioning process that you tell the HPWC about your home network. In theory once it is connected, you can go to one of the other devices in your home network and browse to the right address(allocated by your access point, most likely starting with 192.168.1.) to see a really mundane status screen.
Hmm...so when I go to 192.168.92.1, I see all the proper info and was able to commission the charger, but in order to get internet access back on my phone, I need to disconnect the charger from the router. I can't seem to keep the charger connected. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
There is almost zero purpose in connecting the wall connector to the internet/home wifi, unless you need power sharing.

Any software updates can be manually pushed through local direct connection, and you cannot view or edit any settings except through local direct connection.

Hmm...so when I go to 192.168.92.1, I see all the proper info and was able to commission the charger, but in order to get internet access back on my phone, I need to disconnect the charger from the router. I can't seem to keep the charger connected. Am I missing something?
'disconnect the charger from the router' is a strange statement. You are not supposed to be able to go to 192.168.92.1 except during provisioning.

Once you have commissioned the router(complete with your home wifi ssid and password), don't touch it. Instead, reset your phone's wifi to your home wifi ssid, and you should be all set. If you really want, you can use your wireless access point (probably living at 192.168.1.1) to figure out the IP address of the HPWC(look for the mac address on the side of the HPWC in the arp table of the access point) and then browse to the appropriate address from either your phone or another PC on the local network.

Hi...thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm selecting the proper local wifi network, and the signal is very strong. I have a beacon (repeater) very near the garage. Regarding your "how do I know..." question, it literally says "not connected to the internet" below the HPWC SSID.

I'm picking up my new car today, so I'll run this by the folks at the Tesla shop...and I've also opened up a ticket with Tesla Support. As long as I can update the firmware on my own, it's not really a big deal, but it still bugs me.
What did you find out? I'm having the same problem.

Hello all, I installed yesterday and having same issues as listed above…I connect to TWC then I type the IP address and does nothing after that

I tried it several times with different phones (with cellular data) and still can’t commission

What am I doing wrong

Sorry but new to Tesla and this forum

Hello all, I installed yesterday and having same issues as listed above…I connect to TWC then I type the IP address and does nothing after that

I tried it several times with different phones (with cellular data) and still can’t commission

What am I doing wrong

Sorry but new to Tesla and this forum
Turn off cellular data!

Go to airplane mode and then only re-enable Wifi.

• Helpful