Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having second thoughts about MYP after VIN assigned, open to ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3LR right now, ordered a MYP. While waiting for it, I read more about the lower ride quality as a result of the 21" summer tires and stiffer suspension, as well as the flat-prone nature of 21" wheels with low profile tires. I am in the northeast, where it does snow, etc.

I called Monday to change to a long range, knowing this would delay delivery for 7-8 months.

They never made the change, I got a VIN assigned for a MYP, called today, they said "now it's too late to change it." A supervisor is going to call me since I did request the change Monday, BUT they now advised me the MYP (at least my VIN) comes with all-season Michelin tires instead of the old summer tires and thus it's going to be better.

Bottom line, how bad will the ride quality be with the all-seasons and performance suspension rather than the old summer tires? Are the all-seasons as flat prone? I am open to taking delivery of the performance but am unsure whether I'll be satisfied based on being used to an M3LR, and since Tesla did away with the return window on the cars, I sort of need to be sure.

• Funny
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
The Michelins are the best A/S tire money can buy. Ride quality is improved and snow traction is an attribute, though for the Northeast you will still want winter tires if you drive every day and can’t pick & choose when you go out. (Work from home, etc.)

The size is the same, and the wheels will still be prone to damage if you hit large holes/curbs. Just something to keep in mind while driving.

Did you test drive the MYP? Only you can really decide if the ride quality is acceptable to you. I read all about how harsh the MYP's ride was when I was deciding to purchase, but when I test drove it I was satisfied that it won't bother me. And it hasn't bothered me in my 5 months of ownership. I came from a Honda Odyssey, which I'm guessing has a smoother ride than the M3LR, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find the MYP's ride more compliant than I do.

Since the new MYP's come with all-season tires, you could try it out but perhaps budget for a set of cheap wheels with winter tires in case it doesn't quite work in the snow for you.

Reactions: Soap and tm1v2
It's a tough situation if you had your heart set on a Tesla. About the only thing you can do is bite the bullet for a year or sell the MYP after your LR order gets delivered.

I feel your pain. New vehicles with new tires and suspension always seem to ride better than a year or so later when the real world creeps in. Of course it also depends on how well the roads are cared for where you live and drive.

I’ve been very happy with the Pilot AS on my MYP. Plenty of snow driving in Denver and the mountains lately and they have performed well. I traded in my M3P stealth. The YP is definitely a bit more firm of a ride, but doesn’t bother me in the least.

Reactions: WyomingEV
The ride quality between a MYLR and a MYP is only marginally different. The majority of complaints I have seen come from people either coming from a luxury SUV, a Model S or by their own admission are sensitive to harsh rides.

If you find the MYP to be too rough, since you had planned on buying new tires anyways you can look at the threads for putting on larger tires with thicker sidewalls and thus more cushioning. This gets you to a near MYLR level.

My personal (and this is a personal opinion) is the MYP is not bad at all and a MYLR is not a completely different ride. I’d stay with the MYP but I bought one anyways so… :)

The all seasons will help and reducing to 38psi will make a diff. I live in Toronto Can…the mecca of NE winter lol..and I have a PY on order for early March and my test drive yielded barely any diff between it and a former MY LR I had. There is more harshness but only if your paying attention to it. Overall I like handling over driving on a cushion of clouds so doesn’t bother me.

I have a M3LR right now, ordered a MYP. While waiting for it, I read more about the lower ride quality as a result of the 21" summer tires and stiffer suspension, as well as the flat-prone nature of 21" wheels with low profile tires. I am in the northeast, where it does snow, etc.

I called Monday to change to a long range, knowing this would delay delivery for 7-8 months.

They never made the change, I got a VIN assigned for a MYP, called today, they said "now it's too late to change it." A supervisor is going to call me since I did request the change Monday, BUT they now advised me the MYP (at least my VIN) comes with all-season Michelin tires instead of the old summer tires and thus it's going to be better.

Bottom line, how bad will the ride quality be with the all-seasons and performance suspension rather than the old summer tires? Are the all-seasons as flat prone? I am open to taking delivery of the performance but am unsure whether I'll be satisfied based on being used to an M3LR, and since Tesla did away with the return window on the cars, I sort of need to be sure.
MY rides like crap, MYP is worse...Like an M BMW...Coilover kit and smaller/lighter rims and good tires can help, or airbags if you have that kind of money

I would take delivery, enjoy it while you can, and put in another order for an LR or even one of the many other new EVs that have smoother rides than any of the Ys. Once you take delivery of the next car, you're likely to be able to your current YP for almost no loss.

I would only change the reservation if the PMY vehicle no longer met my needs, i.e. if I needed third row seating. Tires, wheels and suspension can be readily changed. Since you live in MA if you intend on driving your Model Y in winter you will probably end up purchasing winter tires or a wheel and winter tire package.

Wheels are super easy to replace, don't skip the MYP just because of the 21s. I ordered 18s for my M3P before I even picked up the car. Now it rides, handles, and grips better than stock (thanks to taller sidewalls + much lighter wheels + better tires).

Ride quality and suspension tuning is such a personal preference thing...you really need to test drive to know how you'll feel about it! Personally I really didn't like the Model Y ride quality. But many people are perfectly fine with it! You really need to test drive it to know.

Changing tires alone (keeping same size / same wheels) CAN make a difference in ride quality, but in my experience tires that really smooth out the ride also drive like mush, to be frank. Yeah you could put MXM4 on an M3P or MYP...but I sure wouldn't want to. Sportier all-seasons won't ride much or any smoother than a good street-focused summer tire. This is especially true with skinny sidewalls like the stock M3P and MYP setups. Taller sidewalls accentuate the softness of mushy tires.

Last thought, in my experience with changing wheel diameter / sidewall height, it makes the most impact on smaller bumps and road texture. For example, while my M3P rides better on 245/45R18 than 235/35R20, the overall feel of the ride and suspension is still the same, it's not transformed into a different-feeling car. I think wheels+tires and suspension complement eachother...no wheel+tire change will fix suspension tuning you don't like. Nor would new dampers & springs fix the effects of a wheel+tire combo you don't like.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I would take delivery, enjoy it while you can, and put in another order for an LR or even one of the many other new EVs that have smoother rides than any of the Ys. Once you take delivery of the next car, you're likely to be able to your current YP for almost no loss.
Careful there. With production increasing with new Austin factory, timelines have started to improve on PY…6-8 weeks max. The time for making $ on a used Tesla is starting to close as market adjusts. Also with new prices where they are, used market isn’t that far off now.

As the post said maybe some loss but not much…time will tell if used market starts to correct 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Wheels are super easy to replace, don't skip the MYP just because of the 21s. I ordered 18s for my M3P before I even picked up the car. Now it rides, handles, and grips better than stock (thanks to taller sidewalls + much lighter wheels + better tires).

Ride quality and suspension tuning is such a personal preference thing...you really need to test drive to know how you'll feel about it! Personally I really didn't like the Model Y ride quality. But many people are perfectly fine with it! You really need to test drive it to know.

Changing tires alone (keeping same size / same wheels) CAN make a difference in ride quality, but in my experience tires that really smooth out the ride also drive like mush, to be frank. Yeah you could put MXM4 on an M3P or MYP...but I sure wouldn't want to. Sportier all-seasons won't ride much or any smoother than a good street-focused summer tire. This is especially true with skinny sidewalls like the stock M3P and MYP setups. Taller sidewalls accentuate the softness of mushy tires.

Last thought, in my experience with changing wheel diameter / sidewall height, it makes the most impact on smaller bumps and road texture. For example, while my M3P rides better on 245/45R18 than 235/35R20, the overall feel of the ride and suspension is still the same, it's not transformed into a different-feeling car. I think wheels+tires and suspension complement eachother...no wheel+tire change will fix suspension tuning you don't like. Nor would new dampers & springs fix the effects of a wheel+tire combo you don't like.

What 18" wheels and tires did you go with?

I'm running Toyo Proxies A/S tires on my 21" wheels (35-series tires) and it's a decent ride on my MYP and smooth enough for my tastes. My car felt about the same, if not smoother feeling, compared to my friend's MYLR with 20" Gemini wheels & factory tires on it.

And that's coming from a Model 3 that was lowered on Eibach springs with 20" Performance wheels on 35-series tires (also a smooth ride but more bouncy feeling than the MYP), and from a M-Sport 530e with 35-series and 30-series tires on 20" 7-series wheels (that was surprisingly smooth but a lot more jarring when you hit a small pothole). Obviously a taller sidewall and softer tire compound is going to ride a lot smoother in general.

Like others said, you need to test drive the car to determine what feels best for you.

What 18" wheels and tires did you go with?
@WyomingEV 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires on 18x8.5" Titan7 T-S5 forged wheels. That's on an M3P. For a Model Y I would want 19", probably 19x9.5". Unfortunately the only proper Model Y fitment those wheels offer is 20x9.5". That's still useful sidewall vs 21" though, should be a good option.

Edit: I would go with a square setup even on an MYP which I know comes staggered from the factory. That's just my preference.

Pic with lug nut covers
Day 1 impressions (still too much new tire grease to judge grip)
Early thoughts and comparisons with some past tires
After further wet driving (early grip and traction impressions as new tire grease is wearing off)
Verdict after proper twisty road driving

I've since put a lot of twisty road miles on this setup and I'm still extremely happy with it.

Before anyone asks...I haven't used the popular PS4S that older M3P (and older MYP?) came with. So no comparison there, sorry. I was going to try them first but they were out of stock everywhere in the size I wanted. When I use up these Potenza Sports I might try PS4S if available just to compare, or maybe I'll stick with the Bridgestones because I'm liking them so much. Haven't really decided yet.

Last edited:
Ride quality is super subjective. I have zero problems with our MYP ride and neither does my pregnant wife. It IS a firm ride and it isn't for everyone. If you drive on broken roads often, it might not be the best fit. FWIW, I just went on a 2,000 mile road trip with my pregnant wife and 22 month old. We were perfectly comfortable and the ride didn't wake my kid up when he was asleep. But it IS subjective and you should see if you can go ride/drive in one.

Reactions: tm1v2