Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having trouble unpluging home charging cable...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it's related..

But as the weather is getting colder, I'm finding that when I get to my M3 in the morning and unlock the charging port, the cable won't freely come out of the port. I hear a click, and the light goes blue

I'm having to apply some force and almost yank it out...

Any thoughts on what the issue might be, should I be worried about either the tesla port or my home charger itself....

It’s probably not really cold enough to be freezing yet but that will soon start to affect charge ports although I did see some comment about new cars having heated charge port (older ones just leak air) but a general comment rather than anything specific for MiC cars.

From the manual:
  • WHITE: The charge port door is open. Model 3 is ready to charge and the connector is not inserted, or the charge port latch is unlocked and the connector is ready to be removed.
  • BLUE: Model 3 detects that a connector has been plugged in.
  • BLINKING BLUE: Model 3 is communicating with the connector. Either Model 3 is preparing to charge, or a charging session is scheduled to begin at a specified future time.
I must admit that I've not looked closely at how the light changes as you issue the unlock request, but I would have thought that the lock is in place when the light is blue?

Reactions: MrBadger
Will look more closely at the light colour in the morning, and perhaps more patience is required...

Is it slower to go white after its gone to sleep...

As I plugged it in tonight, I did a quick test and it turned white with 5 seconds of sending the unlock command. Its not been that quick in the morning, hence I guess why in impatience I'm trying to pull it out while it's still blue.

It’s probably not really cold enough to be freezing yet but that will soon start to affect charge ports although I did see some comment about new cars having heated charge port (older ones just leak air) but a general comment rather than anything specific for MiC cars.

Mine has a heated charge port, an early Fremont 2021 model. I presumed all 2021 refresh models onwards do. Comes on with defrost.

Other than noticing the temperature of the port, I think you can tell by the location of the T logo. An example photo is here...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger