Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii 2016 Legislative Session - EV bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's that time of year again..Here are some bills that are active in the leg this year. There are also some carry over bills from last year which have not been addressed yet.

HB1546
Repeals provisions exempting electric vehicles from the payment of parking fees.
HB1546.DOC

SB99
Establishes fines beginning 1/1/2016 for owners of parking facilities with at least one hundred parking spaces that do not provide at least one parking space equipped with a charging system exclusively for electric vehicles.
SB99.DOC

[url]http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/

[/URL]

What they really should do is redefine "electric vehicle" now to 100% electric, 100% of the time and keep all of the incentives ongoing as most of the other vehicle types are really just hybrids in one form or another.

HB1546, which would repeal the free parking we all enjoy, was deferred by the transportation committee at today's hearing. Don't know if it will be heard again, but that's good news for EV owners, since we don't want this measure to move forward. :smile:

This bill was carried over from last session, so if it doesn't move in this session, it's dead until next year.

Does anybody know if airport parking is going to change any time soon? Or was that part of HB1546 and is now deferred? I know that they had been talking about fixing the gap in the airport parking policy that allowed for free parking there and changing it to just 24 hours.

As of today, EV parking at the airport has not changed, still free.

Does anybody know if airport parking is going to change any time soon? Or was that part of HB1546 and is now deferred? I know that they had been talking about fixing the gap in the airport parking policy that allowed for free parking there and changing it to just 24 hours.

SB2515, which is the bill that adds enforcement and penalties to the EV charger parking requirement, has passed out of Transportation & Energy and moved on to Ways and Means. It was amended in the committee to add an additional requirement:

Places of public accommodation with at least one hundred parking spaces available for use by the general public shall have at least one parking space per one hundred spaces by July 1, 2017, and two parking spaces per one hundred spaces by July 1, 2022,

There is some bad news - the enforcement provisions they added are pretty weak and the committee made it "defective" by making the effective date of the bill to July 1, 2050. Legislators will often do this to appease constituents, but ultimately will prevent the provisions of the bill from becoming law even if it makes it to the floor for a vote.
- - - Updated - - -

There's 11,000 parking spaces in Ala Moana. That would mean 110 stalls are required. I hope the Volta/Semaconnect/Chargepoint people submit testimony to support SB2515 and get it fixed - it's a huge business opportunity for them. Anyone have any contacts at these companies?

Can anyone provide me help on fighting my HOA who has harassed me since I bought my townhouse in Makakilo? I have done everything I can to prove the way I connect is safe including hiring someone to inspect my connectivity and now they are saying I am not following those guidelines which is all crud! HELP!!!!