Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii 2018 Legislative Bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's that time again. I've only had a chance to skim the bills this session but this one limits the free EV parking at the airport to 24 hours! :eek:

THE SENATE

SB2122
" For non-metered parking at all state airports under the jurisdiction of the department of transportation, the maximum allowable time for the exemption shall be limited to twentv-four hours, after which time the parking fee shall be the applicable regular per hour fee or regular daily or monthly parking fee, as applicable; provided further that the department shall not charge a card activation fee if the parking is by the month."

There’s no reason for airport parking to be free for EVs. It’s perks like this which cause a backlash against EVs and their owners. We need places to charge, which we should be willing to pay for, not special parking privileges.

This benefit was one of many that was meant to help increase the number of EVs in the state and has been in place for years with a sunset in 2022. It applies to ALL State and County public parking facilities and metered parking. I can guarantee that alot of EV owners will go back to just having people drop them off like they did before they had an EV and the airport parking lots will be empty again. LOL

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
You would be absolutely right. I would not park in the airport anymore. Though it would be nice still to pick people up and park free without having to deal with the curb Nazi’s. But it’s a senseless bill. Those lots are never full. They won’t generate any more revenue. It will just take away another incentive to drive an EV. But of course in our case, driving a Tesla really is all the incentive I need. So sure whatever.

There’s no reason for airport parking to be free for EVs. It’s perks like this which cause a backlash against EVs and their owners. We need places to charge, which we should be willing to pay for, not special parking privileges.
Do Tesla owners really NEED a place to charge on Oahu. Especially not at inflated rates above schedule R rates.

I’d like to see a bill authorizing or requiring condos to install electric chargers in parking stalls for residents. That kind of bill would be much more useful. Really it shouldn’t cost that much to run conduit in a parking garage. The metering is really where the hang up would be but not insurmountable.

Reactions: bpmharris
Condo's huh? You don't see any problem with so many buildings that were built long before anyone thought about the additional infrastructure provisions to provide sufficient (how much is sufficient, by the way) sufficient electrical power for EVs in the parking structure? Who would pay for this. Sort of mirrors the issue with water sprinklers in older buildings here, doesn't it? If there was a barrel of extra money (BOEM) in the condo's basement, which would be the priority? In unit, in foyer installation or electrical power in the garage for EVs?

I am not against it. But I doubt its just a question of running conduit. What does your survey reflect as the cost? :)

I’d like to see a bill authorizing or requiring condos to install electric chargers in parking stalls for residents. That kind of bill would be much more useful. Really it shouldn’t cost that much to run conduit in a parking garage. The metering is really where the hang up would be but not insurmountable.
It costs more than you think. when you consider the long runs on the parking level you are on, the distance from the main electrical room up to your floor, the heavy load that an EV charger puts on the line would probably require transformers (disclaimer: I am not an electrician) and other things that are not needed with a typical home installation of a NIMA 14-50 plug. Not to mention the number of other condo residents that are doing the same thing which just multiplies the complexity and price.

It costs more than you think. when you consider the long runs on the parking level you are on, the distance from the main electrical room up to your floor, the heavy load that an EV charger puts on the line would probably require transformers (disclaimer: I am not an electrician) and other things that are not needed with a typical home installation of a NIMA 14-50 plug. Not to mention the number of other condo residents that are doing the same thing which just multiplies the complexity and price.
Let’s say they put 10 stalls. From the breaker room run a 200 amp circuit,(Which is likely in or near the garage for building service connections.) install 10 chargers that can each say pull a respectable 20 amps each. Or 40 when not all 10 are used. The Tesla chargers can multiplex like this but aren’t the only ones. Most chargers say like chargepoint can share feeders and proportion the charging rate. Then have an access card you swipe when charging, to send the bill to your account. In fact they could even use a already in service business like charge point. Charge a few cents above the residential r rate or even use the lower EV charging rate, to pay for the equipment. I mean really it wouldn’t be that hard. If the condo association did it you could do it without profit. Or an outside company could come in make it a for profit venture.

It's that time again. I've only had a chance to skim the bills this session but this one limits the free EV parking at the airport to 24 hours! :eek:

THE SENATE

SB2122
" For non-metered parking at all state airports under the jurisdiction of the department of transportation, the maximum allowable time for the exemption shall be limited to twentv-four hours, after which time the parking fee shall be the applicable regular per hour fee or regular daily or monthly parking fee, as applicable; provided further that the department shall not charge a card activation fee if the parking is by the month."

That is horrible!

Let’s say they put 10 stalls. From the breaker room run a 200 amp circuit,(Which is likely in or near the garage for building service connections.) install 10 chargers that can each say pull a respectable 20 amps each. Or 40 when not all 10 are used. The Tesla chargers can multiplex like this but aren’t the only ones. Most chargers say like chargepoint can share feeders and proportion the charging rate. Then have an access card you swipe when charging, to send the bill to your account. In fact they could even use a already in service business like charge point. Charge a few cents above the residential r rate or even use the lower EV charging rate, to pay for the equipment. I mean really it wouldn’t be that hard. If the condo association did it you could do it without profit. Or an outside company could come in make it a for profit venture.
it all sounds so simple, but it's not. I have had two electrical surveys and requested quotes from three different companies (with recognizable names) in the last 5 years. one company lasted about a month before they stopped responding to my calls/emails.

Reactions: bpmharris

The last time I looked and this was some time ago (the law lets you). You can install a charger in your condo. But you pay everything to have it installed. I can see a 120V outlet and slow charge the car. (as the car would be parked in your stall most of the time) Not a huge load on the condo or electrical system. The better option is 240v but not all condos can support that extra load. If charging at night only maybe. (say after 10 PM when most people are sleeping and the electrical load is low) The 120v option could be done more easily. I know it's not the answer to all but its a start. A meter can be installed on that circuit.

THE SENATE

SB2122

I will be VERY sad if they pass the bill regarding the parking at the airport. I use it almost every month for the past 6 months :)

Reactions: Akikiki and nanimac