Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - 2019 Legislative Session - EV Related Bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HB238 - The House Transportation committee deferred the bill today. I could be mistaken, but I think that means it's not moving forward and thus the proposed changes to airport parking are not moving forward. :) Bad part is the sunset date extension to 2030 that was part of this bill is also not moving forward. :(

Measure Status

I'm actually FOR deferment, if this means the open-ended non-metered parking is still in effect until the original sunset date of June2020. They can always extend the other parking to 2030 at a later date but we would lose the airport parking almost immediately.

I'm actually FOR deferment, if this means the open-ended non-metered parking is still in effect until the original sunset date of June2020. They can always extend the other parking to 2030 at a later date but we would lose the airport parking almost immediately.

If the sunset date doesn't get extended this year, I think it's important to write our state reps and the transportation committee to push for the extension so hopefully a bill can get passed next session.

SB657 - Senate bill extending EV parking benefits sunset date to 2030. Passed with amendments by transportation and energy, econ dev & tourism committees. Moving on to Ways and Means. Amendments were to add limits to EV free parking (2-hours metered; 4-hours non-metered).

SB657 SD1

Ways and Means Committee hearing for the following bills below on Wednesday, 2/20/19 @ 10am, so ideally any testimony would go in before 10:00 AM today or late submittal before hearing.

SB 657 SD1 (extends EV parking benefit to 2030) - Testimony to SUPPORT is important as HB238-1 was deferred.
SB 653 SD1 – Requires new state/county buildings of certain size make at least 20% of the parking spaces be EV-ready. Testimony to SUPPORT needed. Note importance to expand beyond than just government buildings.
SB 409 SD1 - Establishment of additional registration fee for EVs to address the forgone fuel tax monies to pay for roadway maintenance. Proposed fee set at $15 and only applies to model years 2018 and after. Testimony to support is optional for this bill. More important to COMMENT and relay to legislature to not adopt fees that will penalize people for buying an EV, given how important EV adoption is to the State's long-term clean energy plans.

SB409 passed out of Ways and Means today with amendments. The amended bill is not posted yet. We'll have to see what the committee changed.....:(

Maybe they're adding in fuel cell vehicles? lol

Ulupono Initiative had some good recommendations and comments about Airport Parking. 24-hour limit would seem more reasonable. Their testimony is attached.

Attachments

• Pages from SB657_SD1_TESTIMONY_Ulupono_02-20-19_.pdf
    948.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
SB 409 SD1 - Establishment of additional registration fee for EVs to address the forgone fuel tax monies to pay for roadway maintenance. Proposed fee set at $15 and only applies to model years 2018 and after. Testimony to support is optional for this bill. More important to COMMENT and relay to legislature to not adopt fees that will penalize people for buying an EV, given how important EV adoption is to the State's long-term clean energy plans.

The bill description states, "Establishes an annual vehicle registration surcharge fee for electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, alternative fuel vehicles, and hybrid vehicles manufactured after 2018 to be deposited into the state highway fund. (SD1)"

Seems like this would mean that vehicles manufactured in 2018 would not be subject to the surcharge. Or am I reading it wrong?

The bill description states, "Establishes an annual vehicle registration surcharge fee for electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, alternative fuel vehicles, and hybrid vehicles manufactured after 2018 to be deposited into the state highway fund. (SD1)"

Seems like this would mean that vehicles manufactured in 2018 would not be subject to the surcharge. Or am I reading it wrong?

Looks like the surcharge is applicable to all, not just those manufactured after 2018 :(.

SB409 SD2

Reactions: nanimac