TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hawaii And Alaska Superchargers!

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by ilovtesl, Jul 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

I don't live here but when I visited Hawaii I saw so many teslas on each of the islands I visited. Do u think they have plans there. Plus the model s makes a great winter vehicle

2. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

I don't know about Alaska, but I'm fairly certain that Tesla will not build a Supercharger in Hawaii. Their main reason for doing so isn't the density of how many Teslas are on the road, but to aid in interstate mobility. Not an issue here, though it would be nice to have a place to juice up quickly.

3. emupilot

emupilot Member

I think the main reason not to have superchargers in Hawaii is that on most islands you can get anywhere and back on a full charge. The Big Island has distances long enough to justify a supercharger or two, but there need to be enough cars there to justify the expense. Likewise, there need to be more than the current handful of Teslas in Alaska before they will build the superchargers.

4. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Population density/urban living (like China) can make a cause for Superchargers within cities. However I don't think it will happen for a while.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Elon has stated more than once this year that Tesla will be placing Superchargers in cities in China, London, and maybe in San Francisco and other American cities. This is because in cities there are many potential buyers who cannot get adequate electrical power to their overnight parking location.

There are already two Superchargers in Shanghai, one in Beijing, and one in London. More are on the way, including in Los Angeles.

Initially Tesla had the mindset that Superchargers would only be outside cities and were exclusively for long distance travel. But the company has realized that it will boost sales to have them in some large cities even though they will in part be used by locals to charge at instead of charging at home. It's a trade off: more cars sold but Tesla will have to absorb the added construction and operating expense of more Superchargers.

6. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I meant in Hawaii. I don't think Hawaii will get a Supercharger due to population density for a while.

7. republic

republic Member

That's interesting. It'd be great to have Supercharger coverage in wealthy cities with a high proportion of non-single-family housing, such as Boston or Chicago. Honolulu fits that bill. 2016, maybe? :)

8. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

I agree they should have it in honolulu and maui because there are a lot of cars there and maui there are lots of land and mountains. Also lots of rich things

9. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Agreed. Hong Kong is getting two supercharging stations at the same time of Model S launch which is just coming up, with more on the way. And driving from one end to the other of Hong Kong is less than 100 miles, so it's not because of long distances. Only cars with dual license plates are allowed to cross between China and Hong Kong, so for most, they won't be able to drive into China (like me).

The main purpose for superchargers in Hong Kong is definitely the very high level of people who don't own or control their own parking space.

On July 23rd (5 days from now), the launch event will take place in Hong Kong, and at that location, "Kai Tak Ocean Terminal", there is a supercharger being installed as I write this, the other one being in Hopewell Centre in downtown Hong Kong.

While supercharging is free, it seems parking is not. Price to park should be something like 1.3 USD pr hour, as far as I have heard.

Similar for London, and some other cities - superchargers are not always just for long distances.

10. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Well this makes a lot of sense then. There is a lot of urban dwellers on Oahu with no control over their charging situation (or a very costly proposition of paying for an install when they may be renting). If I was still living in apartments, which I did for the first 20 years here, it would certainly deter me from getting a Tesla. Hopefully we will see one eventually, though I think this is a bit in the future.

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I have provided TM with SpC locations that would make travel around Alaska effortless; their official response (some 9-12 months back) was that they hadn't any plans for same on the horizon.

As emupilot writes,
    The appropriate and important counterarguments to this include
    1. Tesla would be far more popular in Alaska were the SpCs extant - there is a very large fraction of AK residents with a lot of disposable income; and
    2. As Larry's thread "Trip to Alaska" is evidence, the road trip to and around Alaska is on a spectacularly large number of Americans' bucket lists. And it IS the epitome of a trip of a lifetime. It would be fantastic if TM could see their way to threading SpCs through western Canada and around Alaska. H*ll....I'll even throw in my highly-priced consulting fees for a discount of....oh, about 101%. ;)

12. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

Even though I can't use one, I don't think there's a need for a supercharger on Oahu. I have a 40/60 and did the circle isle drive with 30 miles to spare. The laws here require an EV charger for public parking lots with over 100 stalls so there's a lot of chargers around the island although they're leaf'd most of time :cursing:. But the argument about apartment dwellers is a good one though although one owner here just charges at one of the 3 or 4 free chargers around him that are walking distance. Am sure he would appreciate a faster charge though!