Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - best or recommended options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I don't have a Model S ordered yet, but am very interested. I have been trying to decide which options are considered necessary and which are not. Have been reading the problems with the pano roof, but it seems that everyone has one. I rarely open the sunroofs on my cars and so are considering not ordering one. I am curious about the suspension option. Do any of you use it regularly? For sure the tech package is necessary. Am considering the 85kwh, but I already have an M56 which gives me plenty of hourse power and so my consider the 60 kwh car. My wife will probably drive it most of the time, and she keeps my car on the eco mode when she drives it. Anyway, any help you can give to me will be appreciated.

Hi,

I don't have a Model S ordered yet, but am very interested. I have been trying to decide which options are considered necessary and which are not. Have been reading the problems with the pano roof, but it seems that everyone has one. I rarely open the sunroofs on my cars and so are considering not ordering one. I am curious about the suspension option. Do any of you use it regularly? For sure the tech package is necessary. Am considering the 85kwh, but I already have an M56 which gives me plenty of hourse power and so my consider the 60 kwh car. My wife will probably drive it most of the time, and she keeps my car on the eco mode when she drives it. Anyway, any help you can give to me will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Here's my input. Hope it helps.

Panoroof: Most of my cars have had sunroof, so I got the pano roof. They seem to have fixed the problems as I haven't noticed any creaking or excess noise from it. It gives a couple more inches of headroom in the backseat if that matters to you.

air suspension: I use it everyday to pull into my driveway (which is not even with the road) and also for my parking garage at work which has some steep ramps. Also good for clearing high parking stall curbs/blocks.

60kwh: Very very fast! 85kwh is supposedly super scary fast! So I think 60kwh is fine for your wife.

Tech package: I got primarily for the convenience of auto keyless entry, power rear lift gate, and Homelink. The lighting was a bonus factor.

The Pano roof is more personal. Some like to use it. Some like the look. As far as the creak: my understanding is that it is corrected on newer vehicles. I have the creak, and will get the "fix" when I take the car in for service. I understand the "fix" works too but some here have said that it didn't.

I'd get the S85 just for the additional range. Even if you hardly ever use it. It's nice to know that it's available when you do. I haven't driven a 60 but understand it's plenty fast. I have driven a S85 and for anyone except real fast car enthusiasts, it's very fast. The P85 is unbelievably fast, and impresses people who regularly drive the fastest cars. I don't need the speed but the extra range is important to me. Particularly in cold weather.

I have no experience without air suspension. I use it to wash the car. Be aware that it works on it's own at highway speeds to lower the car for better aerodynamics. I got it simply because Elon was so proud of it and thought it was a must have on the car.

Not sure where you're located, but I would try to drive as many different options as I could before deciding.

Al's not in Hawaii so doesn't understand our geographic limitations, lol. I'd go for the 60 kWh battery unless the difference in performance is important to your wife (my guess it that it's not, judging by the Eco mode). We use our 60 to go all around town and have yet to see the rated miles number go under 100 at the end of the day. Honestly, the discontinued 40 is perfect for Oahu.

The pano roof adds some nice light into the cabin without adding significant heat so even if you never open it, it's still a very nice option. Increased head room in the back is a bonus. I think the tech package is a must have. Single charger is fine for Hawaii. Don't bother with the HPWC unless you really like the aesthetics of it for your garage. Supercharger access might be worth something if you're going to sell the car eventually to the mainland but seeing as it's unlikely that we're going to be getting superchargers in Hawaii any time soon (if ever) and it can be activated later, I'd skip it for now. Stick with the 19 inch wheels for better tire life, more forgiving ride, reduced blowout potential, less rim damage. I would get the paint armor done locally aftermarket for better coverage for cheaper. I like the air suspension for its ability to handle driveways and concrete tire stops in parking lots and also to raise the car to assist in cleaning the lower body but realize that it may increase future repair costs once warranty is expired (historically, air suspensions have been pricey to fix) so you may need to balance that out for yourself. Sound upgrade depends on how important sound is for you in a car but I haven't heard a car that DOESN'T have the upgrade so I have no basis for comparison.

Everything else is cosmetic so that part is up to you. Hope that helps some! All of the above is IMHO, of course.

Welcome!

I agree with what has been said. 60kWh is very fast and has more than sufficient range. So unless you really want or need the higher performance specs, save money.

Sound: I appreciate a good sound system, and I think the upgrade is nice. Like spleen, I have not heard the stock system, so I have no basis for comparison.
21": Have them, but don't need them. They look good, but as spleen noted, they're higher maintenance. I haven't driven or been a passenger in a Model S with 19", so I can't compare the ride. My ride is smooth even with the 21".
Tech: I really like this package and consider it necessary for my needs/preferences.
Air: Necessity for me because I have a steep driveway. I use it all the time over high speed bumps and certain driveways.
Pano: I use it everyday and haven't had any problems with creaking. It's huge, so far more impressive than most ordinary sunroofs.
Rear Seats: Great if you have kids, but it does get hot back there.

Good luck!

I was wondering if any of you had a chance to see a model s up close before you bought one. Did you have to go to the mainland to see it. I don't have to drive it, but if someone wanted to trade rides sometime just to drive, I have a 2012 Infiniti M56 420hp V8 that is scary to stomp on the first time. Anyway, I don't want to be pushy, so if I offend anyone, forgive me. I'm just an old guy trying to get more than 15.7 mile per gallon.:smile:

I was wondering if any of you had a chance to see a model s up close before you bought one. Did you have to go to the mainland to see it. I don't have to drive it, but if someone wanted to trade rides sometime just to drive, I have a 2012 Infiniti M56 420hp V8 that is scary to stomp on the first time. Anyway, I don't want to be pushy, so if I offend anyone, forgive me. I'm just an old guy trying to get more than 15.7 mile per gallon.:smile:

I never drove or closely examined a Tesla before purchasing, so I was slightly concerned, especially because I had never driven an electric car. The MS has exceeded my expectations and the acceleration is unbelievable. My other car is a 2013 luxury V8 SUV with decent horsepower. I thought it had great acceleration, but now it feels like a lumbering piece of junk after driving the MS. I think I was lucky to get 13 miles per gallon. :tongue: Now, no gas and hopefully no electricity with all of the excess energy my PV system generates.

Welcome!

I agree with what has been said. 60kWh is very fast and has more than sufficient range. So unless you really want or need the higher performance specs, save money.

Sound: I appreciate a good sound system, and I think the upgrade is nice. Like spleen, I have not heard the stock system, so I have no basis for comparison.
21": Have them, but don't need them. They look good, but as spleen noted, they're higher maintenance. I haven't driven or been a passenger in a Model S with 19", so I can't compare the ride. My ride is smooth even with the 21".
Tech: I really like this package and consider it necessary for my needs/preferences.
Air: Necessity for me because I have a steep driveway. I use it all the time over high speed bumps and certain driveways.
Pano: I use it everyday and haven't had any problems with creaking. It's huge, so far more impressive than most ordinary sunroofs.
Rear Seats: Great if you have kids, but it does get hot back there.

Good luck!

I got the 40kWh option with the 60kWh battery. The range is definitely sufficient for Honolulu.

I have the stock sound system and it sounds great. Didn't think I needed the upgrade.

Definitely the tech package is worth it. I have the 19" and they work great. Like you, I needed the air suspension for I have a steep driveway. Makes a big difference.

I have the Pano roof as well. It does add head room and my wife loves to have it open on those drives to Waikiki or around Kahala. I open it in the afternoon traffic with the windows down and the air conditioner off, especially when there is a cool breeze and the traffic is backed up. I even cruise through Waikiki with it open. It is so cool. And with it closed, there is no extra heat.

- - - Updated - - -

I had put in the deposit. Both my wife and I had the opportunity to ride in one. I had a business trip to San Francisco and did a test drive in Menlo Park. You should come out on July 28 at 11 am at Kakaako Waterfront park. I can let you drive it around a little.

I test drove one in San Jose in December when i was visiting family. Had already put my deposit down a week before my trip though to get myself in the queue, figuring I could cancel if I didn't like it. I think you will very surprised at the power of even a 60kwh Model S :)

I was thinking that coming to the Tesla's 1st group get-together would be a great time to seem the Model S up close, and I'm going to try to come, but many Sundays I am asked to stay at church to help out, so I don't always know when I am finished. Thanks for the invite and the generous offer.

Welcome!
Seems like the responses are all pretty consistent.
Tech Pkg - a necessity. The convenience it provides me is invaluable
Pano Roof - nice. I like the look, but don't often open it when driving. It's just been too hot. Head room in back seat is great.
Air Suspension - like others, I have a steep driveway. I use it often. If the standard level is what cars that do not have the adjustable air suspension is set to, then I would be scraping it horribly.
I think most people select the battery size based on the mile range, rather than the HP, but I could be wrong. I have the 60 and it flies! I got it over 90+mph (but don't tell anyone:wink:) and it feel like 65. Very stable.

Had a chance to test drive at the Santana Row store in February. I finalized my order on the spot.

Hope to see you at the meet up!