Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Bill SB2651 - EV parking/charging station requirement penalty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a lady actually complain that I wasn't parked in an EV stall.:confused:
to her friend: "Oh, That's one of those electric cars. Why is he parked in that spot, he should be parked in the painted stall that says its for EVs"

Heh. Reminds me of my grad school professor, who drove his own car. Until he parked, whereupon he would throw down a platform looking like a shortened creeper, jump on it, and paddle off to the office or store or where ever.

Dr. Vogely, you see, possessed no legs. And only one "real" arm - the other one ended in a fleshy hook rather than a hand.

AND - he NEVER would park in handicapped sites. "Those are for people who are disadvantaged", he would say.

Here is what I was sent by HPD/Virtual Unit:

"You can call 911 and have an officer respond.

§291-72 Parking spaces reserved for electric vehicles; penalties. (a) Beginning January 1, 2013, any person who parks a non-electric vehicle in a space designated and marked as reserved for electric vehicles shall receive a warning.
(b) Beginning July 1, 2013, any person who parks a non-electric vehicle in a space designated and marked as reserved for electric vehicles shall be guilty of a traffic infraction under chapter 291D and shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $100, and shall pay any costs incurred by the court related to assessing the fine.
(c) Any citation issued under this section may be mailed to the violator pursuant to section 291C-165(b). [L 2009, c 156, pt of §4; am L 2012, c 89, §3]

HPD/Virtual Unit"

Here is what I was sent by HPD/Virtual Unit:

"You can call 911 and have an officer respond.

§291-72 Parking spaces reserved for electric vehicles; penalties. (a) Beginning January 1, 2013, any person who parks a non-electric vehicle in a space designated and marked as reserved for electric vehicles shall receive a warning.
(b) Beginning July 1, 2013, any person who parks a non-electric vehicle in a space designated and marked as reserved for electric vehicles shall be guilty of a traffic infraction under chapter 291D and shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $100, and shall pay any costs incurred by the court related to assessing the fine.
(c) Any citation issued under this section may be mailed to the violator pursuant to section 291C-165(b). [L 2009, c 156, pt of §4; am L 2012, c 89, §3]

HPD/Virtual Unit"

I ran into a friend of mine who is charge of the Hawaii renewable energy branch for the State. She saw my testimony for SB2651 which her department supports so we started talking about EV issues. I told her about the issue of ICE cars parking in EV stalls and she said they're working on getting HPD to add a box to the ticket forms for EV space parking violations. I guess that's an issue with enforcement. She also said they're working on a few EV related initiatives this year. I told her to contact me if she needed testimony to promote these initiatives and I would spread the word.

The bill has passed the second reading and has been referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Labor.

- - - Updated - - -

Me as well for the testimony. Feels silly though calling 911 for a parking violation.

I agree. But if we don't do this, then none of the ICE drivers will know that it is against the law to park there. They will feel like there is no consequence for their actions.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran into a friend of mine who is charge of the Hawaii renewable energy branch for the State. She saw my testimony for SB2651 which her department supports so we started talking about EV issues. I told her about the issue of ICE cars parking in EV stalls and she said they're working on getting HPD to add a box to the ticket forms for EV space parking violations. I guess that's an issue with enforcement. She also said they're working on a few EV related initiatives this year. I told her to contact me if she needed testimony to promote these initiatives and I would spread the word.

Count me in for testimony as well. Like the handicapped parking stalls, this should be enforced. The signage is clear enough for the ICE drivers to read.

Was at the zoo parking lot in Waikiki and saw this (sigh). This obviously looks like a rental (also had a huge GPS unit attached to the window). A big problem is also going to be educating visitors to the islands about the laws regarding EV parking.

ujydy2yn.jpg

Was at the zoo parking lot in Waikiki and saw this (sigh). This obviously looks like a rental (also had a huge GPS unit attached to the window). A big problem is also going to be educating visitors to the islands about the laws regarding EV parking.
A leaf owner told me today that he saw a truck parked at the zoo with a ticket for parking in the EV stall.

Latest update on this bill...it's moving along :)

3/4/2014SReport adopted; Passed Third Reading, as amended (SD 2). Ayes, 23; Aye(s) with reservations: none . Noes, 2 (Senator(s) Ruderman, Slom). Excused, 0 (none). Transmitted to House
3/4/2014HReceived from Senate (Sen. Com. No. 159) in amended form (SD 2).

They need a bill to fine people who unplug someone else before they are done charging.:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:
Leaf with license plate EV4009 just unplugged me at the Blaisdell. I looked at VT to see how much time I had left and it showed me unplugged.
I trudged across the street and found them plugged in to my station (2 lights steady and 1 blinking on their dash) with about an hour on the charger it looks like they didn't even need a charge. I left a gentile (not) reminder to not unplug someone else if they are not done charging, which is easy to do on the chargepoint charger.
I only had about an hour and a half remaining to complete my charge, now I won't be done until after 10

That amazes me that people unplug other peoples cars. Why does anyone think that this is ok to do?! Maybe they're thinking that their shorter range gives them priority at the public chargers?