TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hawaii EV Charging Time-Of-Use (TOU) Info

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Akikiki, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

From Honolulu Star-Advertiser 3/27/15, Money section, page B2

EV savings estimator offered:

Hawaiian Electric Company has introduced an online electric vehicle bill savings estimator that can help residential customers who have or are considering an EV estimate how much money they can save by utilizing time-of-use EV charging rates offered by the three utilities.

The new EV Bill Savings Estimators and instructions are accessible at hawaiianelectric.com/EVSavingsEstimator, mauielectric.com/ EVSavingsEstimator, hawaiielectriclight.com/ EVSavingsEstimator.

There are estimator versions for a customer enrolled in the current TOU EV rate; a customer enrolled in the standard (non-TOU) residential rate, called Schedule R; or a customer enrolled in the standard (non-TOU) residential rate with a rooftop solar system under a Net Energy Metering agreement.

Sign up for TOU rates for EV charging can be done at hawaiianelectric.com/GoEV

Star-Advertiser staff

2. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

Great info!

3. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

Wondering which of you might be on TOU already and perhaps you can give your impressions of the program. Thx!

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I do. Have been almost two years. Worth doing.

5. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

I switched to TOU back in September--there's been a definite reduction in our bill (roughly ~$50/mo. less). Will need more time to get an accurate average though as my usage varies. Switching to TOU was painless and I would definitely recommend it.

6. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

- - - Updated - - -

Signing up on Monday. I'm convinced.

7. drtko147

drtko147 Member

Good idea. I have been doing it since I got my MS. It didn't take long to get it set up. For me, it helps for using other appliances after 9 pm, such as the dishwasher and washer/dryer. With PV, it makes a difference. Hopefully, HECO doesn't get rid of this.

8. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

I concur with all of the above - TOU-EV-R is great, and when combined with PV NEM, even better......