Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HAWAII - Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if it is from the update or the new drive unit, but I am seeing that I only can charge up to 126 or 127 and seem to lose energy quicker. It seems to be about 6-7 miles difference.

I just had my drive unit swapped out a few weeks ago, and though I never really looked at the energy depletion, I felt like the regen braking is less aggressive. I don't know if that's software, hardware, or my imagination. I used to easily come to a near-stop in almost all traffic conditions and now it seems like I have to have a longer runway to slow down enough without pressing the brakes. (and yes, I did check my regen braking setting and it's on normal).

I don't know if it is from the update or the new drive unit, but I am seeing that I only can charge up to 126 or 127 and seem to lose energy quicker. It seems to be about 6-7 miles difference.

Curious. Do you mean when it is just sitting after charging its losing 6-7 miles? Or do you mean you are traveling the same distances before and now its taking you 6-7 miles of range more to go that distance?

I just had my drive unit replaced this week. Haven't noticed any regen differences yet, and I'll keep an eye on the charging/range. I do notice it's much quieter now, like how it was when my S was new. Funny how you slowly get accustomed to something until it's not there. I'm sure TM is using re-manufactured units for these warranty replacements, but I wonder how thorough the process is, and if the re-manufacturing is done in house or by a supplier?

I just had my drive unit replaced this week. Haven't noticed any regen differences yet, and I'll keep an eye on the charging/range. I do notice it's much quieter now, like how it was when my S was new. Funny how you slowly get accustomed to something until it's not there. I'm sure TM is using re-manufactured units for these warranty replacements, but I wonder how thorough the process is, and if the re-manufacturing is done in house or by a supplier?

Supplier? I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video where they made the entire unit in house. (second floor at Freemont)

I just charged to 132 post update so it may not be the update that is affecting your range.

I called this in and the technicians checked out everything. things are working fine. It may be the chargers I use. At home, I can charge to 127 but at work it is only 123. The weird thing is that when I went back to my car this afternoon, it was down to 121. I am going to continue to watch this. I am hoping that it doesn't continue to drop.

Last edited:
I called this in and the technicians checked out everything. things are working fine. It may be the chargers I use. At home, I can charge to 127 but at work it is only 123. The weird thing is that when I went back to my car this afternoon, it was down to 121. I am going to continue to watch this. I am hoping that it doesn't continue to drop.

If you want to test that theory sometime you are welcome to try topping off your battery on my charger to see if it charges to the same level as mine, since I live right down the street from you.

Not good. :-o

I have taken screenshots and making sure I don't use the app or go back into the car until the morning.

When I got home at 6:11 pm, it was at 95 miles rated, 110 miles ideal, 52% energy (there was heavy traffic and I had to pick up my daughter at school). I was at 13.7 miles at last charge with 7.3 kwh used, 534 Wh/mi and since 5:37 pm, it was 5.0 miles, 14 min, 760 Wh/mi. This morning, again without going into the car or using the app remotely, at 6:37 am, with the exact same readings as 6:11 pm on energy consumption, I was 88 miles rated, 102 miles ideal and 48% energy. That is a significant drop overnight.

I have taken screenshots and making sure I don't use the app or go back into the car until the morning.

When I got home at 6:11 pm, it was at 95 miles rated, 110 miles ideal, 52% energy (there was heavy traffic and I had to pick up my daughter at school). I was at 13.7 miles at last charge with 7.3 kwh used, 534 Wh/mi and since 5:37 pm, it was 5.0 miles, 14 min, 760 Wh/mi. This morning, again without going into the car or using the app remotely, at 6:37 am, with the exact same readings as 6:11 pm on energy consumption, I was 88 miles rated, 102 miles ideal and 48% energy. That is a significant drop overnight.

Something is definitely wrong :eek: The SC had me say "report bug" to file a report so they can take a look at your whole system at a certain point in time when I had issues with my AP before. Maybe do that instead of just a screen shot to help pinpoint the problem?

Something is definitely wrong :eek: The SC had me say "report bug" to file a report so they can take a look at your whole system at a certain point in time when I had issues with my AP before. Maybe do that instead of just a screen shot to help pinpoint the problem?

I called Tech Support. Basically, I was told because of the firmware update, the 123 mile charging reflects the true level of the battery. Also, he said that the drain that I see over the 12 hours is the normal drain. It has been colder on the hill and this affects the battery as well because the car has to keep components warm. He did send the information to the local service center and I did send the screenshots to Jimmy.

Of course, I also have the option to increase my battery to the 60 kWh. But I don't think I will be doing that any time soon.

Looking over the rest of the forum, I do see this as a reported issue. I guess I will turn on the energy savings part.

I called Tech Support. Basically, I was told because of the firmware update, the 123 mile charging reflects the true level of the battery. Also, he said that the drain that I see over the 12 hours is the normal drain. It has been colder on the hill and this affects the battery as well because the car has to keep components warm. He did send the information to the local service center and I did send the screenshots to Jimmy.

Of course, I also have the option to increase my battery to the 60 kWh. But I don't think I will be doing that any time soon.

Looking over the rest of the forum, I do see this as a reported issue. I guess I will turn on the energy savings part.

Funny how low 60s is "cold"....

Do you start your charge at night before 12:00 am? You might want to start that charge at 2:00 am or so, so its finishing closer to daylight.
It will still love range waiting until 2, but it will have less time to lose range as it finishes closer to daylight. Its just an idea.
And do you have your Energy Savings set to Off or On? Do you also have it set for Always Connected?

Do you start your charge at night before 12:00 am? You might want to start that charge at 2:00 am or so, so its finishing closer to daylight.
It will still love range waiting until 2, but it will have less time to lose range as it finishes closer to daylight. Its just an idea.
And do you have your Energy Savings set to Off or On? Do you also have it set for Always Connected?

Most of the time on the weekdays, I only charge at work. I don't usually charge overnight at home. I only charge overnight on Saturday nights. The energy savings is on. I have Always Connected on. I just changed the range setting on to save some energy.

Most of the time on the weekdays, I only charge at work. I don't usually charge overnight at home. I only charge overnight on Saturday nights. The energy savings is on. I have Always Connected on. I just changed the range setting on to save some energy.

That's efficient (IMO). I think turning Energy Saving off and turning Always Connected off will help determine what part of your range is being eaten by vampire drain. What do you think?