Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Get ready to pay more registration fees for owning an EV!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes a lot of sense. Think of it. The "Great state of Illinois" rewarding EV owners for their contribution in efforts to help the economy, the environment, and helping the American auto industry, by allowing a payment from those owners 10 times what the average consumer in same state would pay in gas tax, he said with sarcasm dripping from the lower corner of his mouth.

:eek:

Gas is .16 per gallon for the State. If filling up 10 gallons a week - $1.60, 52 weeks - $83.20. The non plug-in hybrids are the winners. The Plug-in hybrids are paying two sides.
An Illinois legislator wants to increase their States EV registration to $1000 annually.

Proposed Illinois bill would force EV owners to pay $1,000 annual registration fee

Other states that already have EV surcharges are looking to significantly increase those fees too! I can totally see that happening here in the future...$50 now, $200 or more later!

State/Existing Fee/Proposed Fee
Minnesota $75/$200 also seeking to increase gas tax
North Carolina $130/$230
Illinois $17.5/ $1,000
Ohio $200/just passed

Other states that already have EV surcharges are looking to significantly increase those fees too! I can totally see that happening here in the future...$50 now, $200 or more later!
Unfortunately, I can see that happening too. It is easier to upset 1% of registered vehicles than 99%. It also looks like a victory for the 99% too. I can also see an increase in gas tax because they punished the 1% and now it looks more fair for an increased gas tax.

Well, how else will the gov't pay for a $2 trillion infrastructure bill? Look on the bright side, it won't be forever. In 2120 someone born in 2090 (what slick expression will we call a person born in 2090? ninials? ) will be reviewing all the laws on the books via their Microsoft headset with built-in Google glasses while laying out behind their house built from recycled plastic from the Pacific Garbage Patch sitting on beach front prpperty on top of Maunaloa, and will spot an old law that punished people for driving an electric. By then everyone will have been driving an electric for 50 years. They will pass a bill to rescind this Hawaii law.