Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Let's Count Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, things didn’t go so well! I got a text telling me someone backed (the car I was supposed to take delivery of) right into another model 3 that someone else was buying. I saw photos and I couldn’t believe it.

@Amped driver, So sorry you were impacted by this! I unfortunately had to witness the accident yesterday while we were having our Maui Owners/Tesla drive event at King Kamehameha Golf Club. I was about 60 feet away, and watched it happen like it was in slow-motion, with no way to do anything about it! The red 3 (your car) backed into a midnight silver S. Your 3 didn't appear to have much damage (still needs to be fixed, of course), but the S driver's door was significantly damaged. It is always painful to see a Tesla get damaged, but excruciating to see one Tesla crash into another! :eek:

Reactions: Amped driver
Oh c**p, sorry to hear about the error on the part of some other driver in their lot! Geez, I would NOT take delivery of that car, even if they repaired the damage! Just knowing that there's damage under the paint is a rejected car in eyes! IMO, No sale...NO delivery!!!

Oh c**p, sorry to hear about the error on the part of some other driver in their lot! Geez, I would NOT take delivery of that car, even if they repaired the damage! Just knowing that there's damage under the paint is a rejected car in eyes! IMO, No sale...NO delivery!!!
Nope! No sale. Waiting to see if they have another mid range in inventory on Oahu. Torn between red and midnight silver.

Reactions: nanimac
@Amped driver, So sorry you were impacted by this! I unfortunately had to witness the accident yesterday while we were having our Maui Owners/Tesla drive event at King Kamehameha Golf Club. I was about 60 feet away, and watched it happen like it was in slow-motion, with no way to do anything about it! The red 3 (your car) backed into a midnight silver S. Your 3 didn't appear to have much damage (still needs to be fixed, of course), but the S driver's door was significantly damaged. It is always painful to see a Tesla get damaged, but excruciating to see one Tesla crash into another! :eek:
Ugh! When I got the text that said “due to unforeseen issues that had arisen”, I thought it was a joke, until I saw the photos. I have waited since 3/31/16 to make this purchase and was so amped Saturday afternoon after my test drive, my wife and I decided to go for it. Hopefully the wait is not too long before I take delivery. Anyone have a favorite color or disappointed with the color that you received?

Counting Tesla's. Drove through the three airport parking lots today. Found and counted 84 Tesla's. Exactly half that number were new tags we had not recorded before. New count as of today is 1271. Saw about 4 new Tesla's with paper tags.

Didn't keep an exact count this time, but there are hundreds of Leafs, Volts, Bolts, and i3's in all the lots. Saw one i8. People parking at the airport are really using the free EV airport parking these days. I've driven the parking lots several times now. The number of EVs parking there is (rough guess) double what it was just over a year ago.

And in the What's The Craziest Thing Tesla Category, I saw and took a picture of a white Model X with a Hybrid emblem on the left above Model X and the battery size was P69D. I'm not going to post the picture, because I don't want to black out the tag just to show the picture. But watch for the X around town. The sides of the X have a business advertisement, so it will be easy to recognize then look at the back for the emblems.

Reactions: nanimac
Question? So after the mishap with the Red M3 that was banged up at the Test Drive event a couple weeks ago, I was able to purchase another M3 Mid Range. My question is, did anyone receive their initial $1000 deposit back in the mail from Tesla? I thought it would have been applied to the purchase, but I just got home from work and opened my mail. There is no explanation on the check or page that the check was attached to.

Question? So after the mishap with the Red M3 that was banged up at the Test Drive event a couple weeks ago, I was able to purchase another M3 Mid Range. My question is, did anyone receive their initial $1000 deposit back in the mail from Tesla? I thought it would have been applied to the purchase, but I just got home from work and opened my mail. There is no explanation on the check or page that the check was attached to.

I got mine back in my bank account when I cancelled my res. Maybe a bonus from Tesla for the mishap? So contract doesn’t show it?

Question about hooking up a 14-50 Nema plug. Does anyone know if you can run # 10 wire or #8 wire. I know the #8 is more expensive and that isn’t the issue. Just want to know if both size wires would pull the full 30 amps that the Tesla adapter that came with the car, would pull. The # 10 wire would be easier to pull thru the junction box. Any insight is appreciated.

Question about hooking up a 14-50 Nema plug. Does anyone know if you can run # 10 wire or #8 wire. I know the #8 is more expensive and that isn’t the issue. Just want to know if both size wires would pull the full 30 amps that the Tesla adapter that came with the car, would pull. The # 10 wire would be easier to pull thru the junction box. Any insight is appreciated.

I am a do-it-yourselfer, but in this case I would consult a licensed electrician. an EV is pulls power constantly while charging and improper connections have caused heat issues and have resulted in fires for some people who did it themselves. if there is a fire and it is determined that your 14-50 installation was not performed by a licensed electrician they could refuse to pay any claims. Just my 2 cents, but saving a few bucks in this case is not worth the risk in the long run.

My installation indoor garage with Maui County permit for NEMA 14-50 breaker 50A and wall connector max 48A (tesla 3 AWD LR) breaker 60A.
Wire #6
Southwire 50 ft. 6/3 Stranded Romex SIMpull CU NM-B W/G Wire-63950032 - The Home Depot

Last edited:
I am a do-it-yourselfer, but in this case I would consult a licensed electrician. an EV is pulls power constantly while charging and improper connections have caused heat issues and have resulted in fires for some people who did it themselves. if there is a fire and it is determined that your 14-50 installation was not performed by a licensed electrician they could refuse to pay any claims. Just my 2 cents, but saving a few bucks in this case is not worth the risk in the long run.
Ithanks. I have an electrician doing the work the work. He mentioned the difference between the 2 types of wires and wasn’t sure which way he was going to go. He said it is easier if he uses the #8 wire but he wants to make sure I get the most amperage possible. If both types provide the same amount of current, why not take the easier road. But I have a feeling the right way is the harder way.