Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Let's Count Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slim pickings this past month for me, as I've not been out and about much, so only 10 new ones added to the spreadsheet this time. I also relocated a couple of entries in the sheet, as someone other than me had added a couple, but didn't put them in the proper location (for Maui, we list in plate order, not by just the first 3 numbers, so all "A" plates come before any "B" plates, etc.) :)

Reactions: nanimac
I wasn't counting on a spreadsheet, but I saw the most on Oʻahu by far. Hawaiʻi Island and Maui had way more Teslas than I saw 2 years ago (didn't go last year because of the pandemic). I even saw one Model 3 on Oʻahu near the Waipahu Costco that had California plates on it, although I suspect that its owner may have temporarily shipped it there due to high rental car rates and will be shipping it back to CA soon.

Tesla at Waipahu.jpg

But the most Tesla vehicles I saw together in Hawaii was here, at the Sensei Lānaʻi:

Teslas at Sensei Lānaʻi.jpg

I wasn't counting on a spreadsheet, but I saw the most on Oʻahu by far. Hawaiʻi Island and Maui had way more Teslas than I saw 2 years ago (didn't go last year because of the pandemic). I even saw one Model 3 on Oʻahu near the Waipahu Costco that had California plates on it, although I suspect that its owner may have temporarily shipped it there due to high rental car rates and will be shipping it back to CA soon.

View attachment 695105

But the most Tesla vehicles I saw together in Hawaii was here, at the Sensei Lānaʻi:

View attachment 695110
Hotel fleet. Did you happen to find the supercharger site?

Hotel fleet. Did you happen to find the supercharger site?
There is no supercharger site on Lānaʻi. I did see some 2nd gen WC in that area where all of the Teslas were parked. I don't think Lānaʻi needs a SC site, to be honest. It's only 9 miles from the Manele Small Boat Harbor to the Sensei Lānaʻi, and a long range vehicle could do that trip 20-30 times without needing a charge. And furthermore, it's not going to be doing that journey all night long, because no ferries run at that time, so the 2nd gen WC can recharge those cars at that time.

If there's an island that needs a supercharger, it's Hawaiʻi Island. Put one in Hilo and another in the Kona area.

There is no supercharger site on Lānaʻi. I did see some 2nd gen WC in that area where all of the Teslas were parked. I don't think Lānaʻi needs a SC site, to be honest. It's only 9 miles from the Manele Small Boat Harbor to the Sensei Lānaʻi, and a long range vehicle could do that trip 20-30 times without needing a charge. And furthermore, it's not going to be doing that journey all night long, because no ferries run at that time, so the 2nd gen WC can recharge those cars at that time.

If there's an island that needs a supercharger, it's Hawaiʻi Island. Put one in Hilo and another in the Kona area.
There is a supercharger somewhere (might be under construction by now) which is most likely not a public one and just for the resorts/Larry Ellison's fleet of Teslas since it doesn't show up on Tesla SC maps.

There is a supercharger somewhere (might be under construction by now) which is most likely not a public one and just for the resorts/Larry Ellison's fleet of Teslas since it doesn't show up on Tesla SC maps.
I have no idea where it might be then. I didn't see any superchargers under construction. Most logical place would seem to be the parking lot at the Sensei Lānaʻi but if it's going to be there, they haven't even broken ground yet.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and nanimac
Just added 12 more for Maui, including our first U and V plates (spotted within 3 days of each other). I also had to fix the Maui spreadsheet again, as somebody added a few in the wrong places (again). Oh well, at least somebody other than me is finally adding some for Maui! It is very obvious that a lot of people on Maui were waiting for the Y, because they have exploded! I've spotted at least 10 in the last two weeks that I couldn't add to the spreadsheet because they either had paper tags or no front plate. Cool to see! :)

Reactions: nanimac