Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Model 3 reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to give Tesla props. I went to the X reveal in October and it was a zoo. So many people (in the thousands)...many of them were poorly behaved (e.g. like the guy who was yelling "no pushing," yet he totally pushed his way in line and cut in front of a bunch of people)...I wanted to punch more than just a couple of people. Elon was an hour late so people were getting restless. It was quite packed and there was no order. Everyone just rushed the stage when they let us in. I wanted to punch a few more at that point. They did give numbers to take a test ride, but I calculated with the high number I had because I arrived late, I would have had to wait until past 1am to get a test ride. I didn't bother. After that experience, I told myself that I probably won't go to any more Tesla reveals. It wasn't a pleasurable experience at all.

So, low and behold, I read this invitation and they are limiting the number of people. And they are restricting it to owners. I'm guessing a lot of people with no class at the X reveal were either potential buyers or freeloaders. I'm pleasantly surprised that Tesla learned its lesson from the X reveal event. I would actually go if I wasn't busy.

I do want a Model 3, and I'm up at 5am in the morning anyway, so....

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'll be vacationing in Hawaii on 3/31 so I'm going to swing by in the morning to join all of you for this loooooooong-anticipated event (certainly for me, hehe) and put down my deposit. Just from reading this thread I can tell you have an awesome HI club, so I hope you don't mind me joining your group, if only for a day. :)

Ryan
Hi everyone,

I'll be vacationing in Hawaii on 3/31 so I'm going to swing by in the morning to join all of you for this loooooooong-anticipated event (certainly for me, hehe) and put down my deposit. Just from reading this thread I can tell you have an awesome HI club, so I hope you don't mind me joining your group, if only for a day. :)

Aloha, You are certainly welcome to join us. Please do. In case you had not already seen the information provided earlier, the Tesla store at Ala Moana Center is not taking reservations. You will need to come to the Service Center, near Waikele. Get your directions and head west from Waikiki area. Hope to meet you there.

Hi everyone,

Love your podcast & heard your dilemma a few episodes back when you talked about being here. Glad you're able to join us!

That just might be decoy language to get you to stay home.

However, here's some interesting info from the TM Press page.
"In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region, meaning that the fastest way to buy a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or Model X."

So are we in our own region?
Anyone still going out to the Service Center - early on the 31st?
There's still a week for TM to change the process more than once.

You all should have received another email from Telsa today, March 23, regarding the process of ordering Model 3. That email confirmed that orders are taken when each store opens, which implies the stores will open at normal times (someone said Waipahu SC may open the doors early to welcome visitors prior to its normal opening time). This plan is different from the every store opening at 10am PDT that was alluded to earlier. Thus, maybe the SC won't open for orders at exactly 7 am. We need to check with the SC with the release of this most recent email, just to be sure.

The new message indicates only one priority Model 3 per Model S or Model X already owned.

I'm thinking parking is going to be an issue at the Waipahu SC location. Be prepared to do some walking. Now, if I can just grab that perfect spot with my dark blue S before Nanimac slips in with that deep blue S!

Last edited:
You all should have received another email from Telsa today, March 23, regarding the process of ordering Model 3. That email confirmed that orders are taken when each store opens, which implies the stores will open at normal times (someone said Waipahu SC may open the doors early to welcome visitors prior to its normal opening time). This plan is different from the every store opening at 10am PDT that was alluded to earlier. Thus, maybe the SC won't open for orders at exactly 7 am. We need to check with the SC with the release of this most recent email, just to be sure.

The new message indicates only one priority Model 3 per Model S or Model X already owned.

I'm thinking parking is going to be an issue at the Waipahu SC location. Be prepared to do some walking. Now, if I can just grab that perfect spot with my dark blue S before Nanimac slips in with that deep blue S!

papafox, One per, huh? So how many are you going to reserve for? We know you have at least to Model S's. Of course you might also have a S on the east coast and maybe even one in Australia.

papafox, One per, huh? So how many are you going to reserve for? We know you have at least to Model S's. Of course you might also have a S on the east coast and maybe even one in Australia.

Well, I had one on the East Coast until I drove it to the West Coast, and with all the distractions of Iceman in the backseat I could always make a wrong turn and end up in Australia. I'll send you a postcard if that ever happens, Akikiki.

I may just show up at 7am anyway. Papafox, can you bring me breakfast since I'll be there before you? ;)

Now, how can I bring you breakfast if I'm trying to steal your parking space? I'll have something waiting for when you arrive ; )

Here's the text of the email I received from [email protected]:

We’re excited to share more details about our Model 3 unveil plans. We’ll be live streaming the event on Tesla.com beginning at 8.30pm PDT on March 31. Tune in to join in the experience. We can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on.

Reservations for Model 3 begin on March 31st worldwide. There are two ways to make a reservation. The first, which will allow you to get a better spot in the queue, is to visit your local Tesla store when it opens on March 31st. Second is to make a reservation online at Tesla.com when the live unveil starts at 8:30pm PDT.

FIND US
Reservation amounts in each currency can be found here.

In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for reservations in each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region (one priority reservation for each Tesla they own). For those who aren’t Tesla owners yet, this means the fastest way to buy a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or Model X.

Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets.

Thank you for your continued support!

The Tesla Team

Did all of you receive the same email today? What I find odd is that the email arrived on an email address that is different than either of the two emails I used for ordering the two Teslas.

Then I am somewhat suspicious of this email. I just called the SC in Waipahu and they're still planning to begin taking reservations at 7am on March 31. They confirmed that no reservations will be taken at Ala Moana.

None at all at Ala Moana, or just that they're not taking any until they open when the mall opens? A friend of mine wants to place a reservation, but can't make it out to Waikele and thinks he can place one at Ala Mo. I think a lot of the general public will probably think this too, so I'm surprised if they're not taking ANY reservations at all. Seems like a mistake to me.

None at all at Ala Moana, or just that they're not taking any until they open when the mall opens? A friend of mine wants to place a reservation, but can't make it out to Waikele and thinks he can place one at Ala Mo. I think a lot of the general public will probably think this too, so I'm surprised if they're not taking ANY reservations at all. Seems like a mistake to me.

gmtom1, the SC employee was very clear: Ala Moana will not take any reservations on March 31. Someone else previously posted that the Ala Moana store has still not received some type of sales license. You're right, though: there will be people showing up at the Ala Moana location on March 31, looking to place their reservations, and they will be miffed.