Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to figure this one out. My delivery estimate is now showing as "Late 2018" for a standard size battery. If by any chance the $7500 credit is not available when my car is, I would in effect be paying $7500 more because I waited too long. If that is the case, buying now and paying $9000 for the 310 mile battery would in effect cost $1500 after the credit. I was going to get the premium upgrades no matter what so that isn't a variable. I don't think I would ever need that range here in Hawaii, but there is a question if I would get the $1500 back in resale value eventually, AND be able to get the car now. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
RodF, Odub is correct, I believe. At least that long. The basicsof the expiration for the rebate is similar to this example.
If the 200th built and sale occurred on 5 April of ’18, the future purchasers of that manufacturer would have all of the 2nd quarter (ending 30 June ’18) And all of the next full quarter – the third quarter (ending 30 Sep ’18) before the next quarter’s buyers would only qualify for the $3750 tax credit.

My answer to your questions about “would get the $1500 back in resale”? I believe the longer battery would be worth considerably more than just the $1500 in our question/example.

RodF,
Agree with Akikiki that it would be worth more than $1500 in resale, but if you end up with the $3750 credit, the question would be, "would you get the $5250 back in resale?" Than is a harder question to answer and would probably have to do with how long you keep the car before selling.

RodF,
Agree with Akikiki that it would be worth more than $1500 in resale, but if you end up with the $3750 credit, the question would be, "would you get the $5250 back in resale?" Than is a harder question to answer and would probably have to do with how long you keep the car before selling.

Thanks Akikiki and odub. The question is whether even late 2018 and 3750 credit is a reasonable expectation. It is good business for Tesla to push the credit towards the higher margin units. I’m going to keep an eye on the credit and may pull the trigger in the quarter the units sold hit 200,000. Hopefully the turnaround time is still 4 to 6 weeks at that time.

The credit should be at least $3750 until the end of the year. Tesla has not hit the 200k EVs sold in the US yet and the $7500 credit is good until the quarter after they hit 200k EVs sold. Another thing to consider is the potential Hawaii EV tax credit which may come into play next year if it passes. See discussion in link below.

Hawaii 2018 Legislative Bills

Last edited:
There were 11 Model 3's at the service center when I picked up my X about 230 today... All of them were either Long Range with Premium Upgrade and most had 19" wheels. I kinda like the 18 Aero's even when the cap was off. Unfortunately, they would not allow pictures. I abided, only because my wife was with me. lol

Reactions: odub and nanimac
BTW. Also drove by the service center and the detailing shop across the alley was washing one of the Model 3's. Said they were helping with getting the cars prepped for delivery. It was a midnight silver. Looked great. Unfortunately, I couldn't get him to allow me to open the doors..... probably because the car was all soaped upo_O. Guy told me that the front lot was full of Model 3's a couple of days ago.

Also saw, white, silver, and red multi-coat being prepped in the delivery center. Wonder if the 11 deliveries mentioned by the Tesla Ala Moana store included those being prepped or if there were 11 deliveries prior to these.

Last edited:
Reactions: nanimac
Construction isn't scheduled until July to September. Here the floor plan of your interested.

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-02-16-20-29-25.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-02-16-20-29-25.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: nanimac