Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - NEM Plus – You can add more PV/Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Hawaii NEM Plus – You can add more PV/solar

This thread/discussion is only applicable to Hawaii residents.
I visited the BIA Home Show today. BIA Home show is open one more day – Sunday 1/27/19.

I attended the Solar/Energy Storage seminar presented by Chris Debone of Hawaii Energy Connection (KumuKit). It was a very informative 45 minutes. He discussed adding PV to existing system. And adding PV with Energy Storage to existing or new systems.

There’s a new program called Net Metering Agreement Plus or NEM Plus. The rules have recently changed.
I am not going to try and explain it all – I can’t. But I was very pleased to learn:

If you are currently a Net Metering Agreement customer, you can add more PV/solar panels without violating your existing Net Metering Agreement. AND without adding batteries/energy storage. Let’s say you have PV but are not at $0 billing, but you want to add more PV to obtain $0 billing. You can.

Scenario: You have 30 PV panels and are on a current Net Metering Agreement. You generate enough electricity that you summertime bill is $0, (let’s call this quantity “Just-Enough"). But in winter, you don’t generate the same, you generate less (let’s call this “Not-Enough”) and your HECO bill is $100-$150. If you could add 10 new panels, that would reduce your wintertime bill to $0 – Just-Enough. Under NEM Plus, you can add those 10 panels or (more 12, 15, 20) whatever. Just like before you added more PV, your summertime $0 bill is still $0, but you are now generating an excessive amount (let’s call this "Too-Much").

What’s the catch, you ask? The catch is, you cannot/will not export more back to the grid/HECO than your Net Metering Agreement states you can. You are not going to get credit for the extra/excessive power you make. The extra you generate in early spring, summer early fall – that excess as a result of the new 10+ panels is lost. Unless you use it as it’s being generated – each day, it’s lost/wasted. You can’t send it back to the grid – your Net Metering Agreement limits you.

Your next question should be – well is this worth it to get me to $0 in the winter. Considering we still quality for the 35% state and 30% federal (65% total) tax credit on the entire system, YES, I think it’s worth it. With tax credits it’s costing you 35 cents on the dollar to install more solar.

If you only need 10 panels to get to $0 billing, should you consider adding more than 10? Even 20+. What are your plans? Another EV? Adding Air Conditioning? More Air Conditioning? Selling your house to someone that has a larger family and would likely use more power than your family currently is? If there’s extra now, does not mean there would be Too-Much or even Just-Enough later. But adding solar now, Just-Enough or even Too-Much is going to increase the value of your house even if you don’t use it. So, considering with the state and federal tax credit, making it cost 35 cents on the dollar, I say YES.

If you add energy storage or batteries, you can save that extra power you generated and use it that night or the next night. If you use most of your battery, you still have energy you banked under your Net Metering Agreement. If you add energy storage/batteries to your new panel installation, the energy storage qualifies for both state and federal tax credits.

If you don’t add the batteries with the additional PV and decide to add batteries later, it’s unlikely the separate energy storage system/batteries will qualify for the state and/or federal tax credit. I’m going to add more PV. Maybe even batteries too.

Keep this in mind:

The solar contractors warn us that towards end of year, there’s too many trying to get in before end of year, and you could miss the window.

Why is this important? The federal tax credit 30% reduces to 24% in 2020 and reduces again in 2021. 2019 is the last year for 30% credit.

Don’t forget the state tax credit is 35% up to a tax credit of $5,000 calendar year. So, adding enough that exceeds the annual limit? Plan and prepare for part in 2019 and other part in early 2020. You will lose 4% of the federal tax credit in 2020, so you must weigh the state tax credit limit against losing out on 4% federal tax credit in 2020.

Both the state and federal tax credits roll over. So if you don’t use all of it the year you do it, it rolls over and you can use it in following years.

If your state tax liability to too little or zero, you can sell back to the state your earned PV tax credit for 70 cents on the dollar.

There are many Hawaii residents with and without EVs that would benefit from this info. I encourage you to share with them. Many Tesla owners never check in on TMC – wish they would.

If I have peaked your interest, (gimme an atta-boy for my effort and) contact your favorite neighbor PV contractor. Verify for your own peace of mind and wallet what I have provided here.

You have piqued my interest. I am about to install PV and battery at my house on Big Island. I have had a Tesla roof and powerwalls on reservation since announcement but haven't been able to get a single response from Tesla in months. I had a quote for a 10kh system from Solar CIty/Tesla Energy a while back but it seems they are no longer installing on Big Island. Do you have any contacts who could give me the status of Tesla Energy products for Big Island before I cancel and go with competitors?

TIA

Hawaii NEM Plus – You can add more PV/solar

This thread/discussion is only applicable to Hawaii residents.
I visited the BIA Home Show today. BIA Home show is open one more day – Sunday 1/27/19.

I attended the Solar/Energy Storage seminar presented by Chris Debone of Hawaii Energy Connection (KumuKit). It was a very informative 45 minutes. He discussed adding PV to existing system. And adding PV with Energy Storage to existing or new systems.

There’s a new program called Net Metering Agreement Plus or NEM Plus. The rules have recently changed.
I am not going to try and explain it all – I can’t. But I was very pleased to learn:

If you are currently a Net Metering Agreement customer, you can add more PV/solar panels without violating your existing Net Metering Agreement. AND without adding batteries/energy storage. Let’s say you have PV but are not at $0 billing, but you want to add more PV to obtain $0 billing. You can.

Scenario: You have 30 PV panels and are on a current Net Metering Agreement. You generate enough electricity that you summertime bill is $0, (let’s call this quantity “Just-Enough"). But in winter, you don’t generate the same, you generate less (let’s call this “Not-Enough”) and your HECO bill is $100-$150. If you could add 10 new panels, that would reduce your wintertime bill to $0 – Just-Enough. Under NEM Plus, you can add those 10 panels or (more 12, 15, 20) whatever. Just like before you added more PV, your summertime $0 bill is still $0, but you are now generating an excessive amount (let’s call this "Too-Much").

What’s the catch, you ask? The catch is, you cannot/will not export more back to the grid/HECO than your Net Metering Agreement states you can. You are not going to get credit for the extra/excessive power you make. The extra you generate in early spring, summer early fall – that excess as a result of the new 10+ panels is lost. Unless you use it as it’s being generated – each day, it’s lost/wasted. You can’t send it back to the grid – your Net Metering Agreement limits you.

Your next question should be – well is this worth it to get me to $0 in the winter. Considering we still quality for the 35% state and 30% federal (65% total) tax credit on the entire system, YES, I think it’s worth it. With tax credits it’s costing you 35 cents on the dollar to install more solar.

If you only need 10 panels to get to $0 billing, should you consider adding more than 10? Even 20+. What are your plans? Another EV? Adding Air Conditioning? More Air Conditioning? Selling your house to someone that has a larger family and would likely use more power than your family currently is? If there’s extra now, does not mean there would be Too-Much or even Just-Enough later. But adding solar now, Just-Enough or even Too-Much is going to increase the value of your house even if you don’t use it. So, considering with the state and federal tax credit, making it cost 35 cents on the dollar, I say YES.

If you add energy storage or batteries, you can save that extra power you generated and use it that night or the next night. If you use most of your battery, you still have energy you banked under your Net Metering Agreement. If you add energy storage/batteries to your new panel installation, the energy storage qualifies for both state and federal tax credits.

If you don’t add the batteries with the additional PV and decide to add batteries later, it’s unlikely the separate energy storage system/batteries will qualify for the state and/or federal tax credit. I’m going to add more PV. Maybe even batteries too.

Keep this in mind:

The solar contractors warn us that towards end of year, there’s too many trying to get in before end of year, and you could miss the window.

Why is this important? The federal tax credit 30% reduces to 24% in 2020 and reduces again in 2021. 2019 is the last year for 30% credit.

Don’t forget the state tax credit is 35% up to a tax credit of $5,000 calendar year. So, adding enough that exceeds the annual limit? Plan and prepare for part in 2019 and other part in early 2020. You will lose 4% of the federal tax credit in 2020, so you must weigh the state tax credit limit against losing out on 4% federal tax credit in 2020.

Both the state and federal tax credits roll over. So if you don’t use all of it the year you do it, it rolls over and you can use it in following years.

If your state tax liability to too little or zero, you can sell back to the state your earned PV tax credit for 70 cents on the dollar.

There are many Hawaii residents with and without EVs that would benefit from this info. I encourage you to share with them. Many Tesla owners never check in on TMC – wish they would.

If I have peaked your interest, (gimme an atta-boy for my effort and) contact your favorite neighbor PV contractor. Verify for your own peace of mind and wallet what I have provided here.
Did you happen to discuss the average/going rate "per panel" to add to an existing system? Just wondering if prices have dropped since I installed about 6 years ago.

I'll answer you first with two words, then explain. No. Yes, they have to the second. I have asked a couple of contractors to contact me for visits. It didn't occur to me to ask about single panel prices. Sorry. But I do know that prices have come down and generate per panel has increased too. So we are getting a bigger bang for the buck. My first panels in 2009 were 200watt. Today's are 300+ from some contractors. Chris Debone said he's using one that is a larger form factor than he first installed in 2009/10, but they generate 360watt at peak.

Time for an update. Its taken me since Jan to get my project done. Paperwork to get most approvals, then a delay while my HOA approved. Then an install date, last week of July. With a few adjustments and finally access to my new Solaredge monitoring account, today was first full day of monitoring production on an average day.

Output for today was -62.5 kWh

With the update to the Solaredge inverter, I also opted for a version that has an EV charger built in. Later I will see how it performs, but looks like output will be about 32 amps. This inverter will permit me to charge another EV in my garage if needed. Sort of a bonus. The project removed 26 200-220 watt panels and installed 25 335 watt panels. Between the NEM (goes back to HECO); extra space that HECO had already approved but contractors don't use; and a little bonus they allow for moving to a smart inverter; and NEM Plus (I use what I make that exceeds what I can send back), I am producing three times (62.5 kWh today) more than I have previously used (20kWh) per day. I think I reached that "Too-Much" level that I was hoping for.

With federal tax credits reducing the end of this year and even lower end of next year, I encourage you to take a look at what you need and what you can do and if possible do something while its there. If you can't do a large upgrade maybe you could do a minor, maybe with some repurposed used panels? PM me if you are interested, I havea good deal on some panels for you.

With that, I am done. (Drop mic.)

Last edited:
Time for an update. Its taken me since Jan to get my project done. Paperwork to get most approvals, then a delay while my HOA approved. Then an install date, last week of July. With a few adjustments and finally access to my new Solaredge monitoring account, today was first full day of monitoring production on an average day.

Output for today was -62.5 kWh

With the update to the Solaredge inverter, I also opted for a version that has an EV charger built in. Later I will see how it performs, but looks like output will be about 32 amps. This inverter will permit me to charge another EV in my garage if needed. Sort of a bonus. The project removed 26 200-220 watt panels and installed 25 335 watt panels. Between the NEM (goes back to HECO); extra space that HECO had already approved but contractors don't use; and a little bonus they allow for moving to a smart inverter; and NEM Plus (I use what I make that exceeds what I can send back), I am producing three times (62.5 kWh today) more than I have previously used (20kWh) per day. I think I reached that "Too-Much" level that I was hoping for.

With federal tax credits reducing the end of this year and even lower end of next year, I encourage you to take a look at what you need and what you can do and if possible do something while its there. If you can't do a large upgrade maybe you could do a minor, maybe with some repurposed used panels? PM me if you are interested, I havea good deal on some panels for you.

With that, I am done. (Drop mic.)

Who was your PV contractor? Hawaii Energy Connection? I wasn't sure from reading your earlier post.

HEC? No. Creative Energy, Kailua has done all my work for me, including a city-required service panel upgrade.

I was one of HEC's first customers in 2008. This was before they had their own installation crews.
Creative Energy actually did the HEC installs back in 2008 and early 2009. After that I went directly to Creative Energy.
But don't misunderstand my comment. HEC does very good work and good to work with, talk to.
I wanted to be positioned to add Powerwalls later. My new setup will permit that. HEC is pushing an HEC/LG energy storage
solution and told me not interested in Powerwalls.

Reactions: HAWX 12 and gmtom1
Can anyone recommend a PV installer on the Big Island? I bought a house in Kailua-Kona earlier this year. It has solar panels and a grandfathered net metering agreement. However, the installation is tiny and barely offsetting a thing. I think I was credited for only 121 kWh last month. My system in Phoenix generates that in about 3 days this time of year. I was on island 14 days last month and had a $200 electric bill using the A/C.

This NEM Plus program looks to be right up my alley. Would love to get close to 100% offset.

HEC is an excellent company to work with. Late last year I noticed a decline in the production of my LG panels. HEC conducted a power audit using inductive wands to measure and monitor my PV output. They later found out that other installs during that time also were having the same issue. They really did their homework and traced it back to a bad batch of LG panels and now under warranty will replace all 14 NEM panels with the newer higher out put panels. Even though we are under constraints of our NEM contract, having higher efficiency panel will still product more power as the morning and evening energy curves will be higher. Our panels should be serviced in February, will post the results of the solar energy output difference after installation.

HEC is an excellent company to work with. Late last year I noticed a decline in the production of my LG panels. HEC conducted a power audit using inductive wands to measure and monitor my PV output. They later found out that other installs during that time also were having the same issue. They really did their homework and traced it back to a bad batch of LG panels and now under warranty will replace all 14 NEM panels with the newer higher out put panels. Even though we are under constraints of our NEM contract, having higher efficiency panel will still product more power as the morning and evening energy curves will be higher. Our panels should be serviced in February, will post the results of the solar energy output difference after installation.

Out of curiosity, approximately when were your panels installed?

If anyone is considering adding panels to their home and have a tile roof, double check that the portion of the roof that the panels will be located on has "decking" under the tiles. Apparently, it was a somewhat common practice back in the '80s for tile roofers to not put decking down under tile roofs. If you don't have this, they won't be able to install your panels.