TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hawaii - Oahu Plug-in America event - who's interested?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by nanimac, Sep 3, 2013.

1. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

Some of us have expressed interest in having an Oahu Plug In America event. National Plug in Day weekend is Sept 28th & 29th. The Big Island EV Association has scheduled events for both days.

Am looking for feedback on who's interested.

For those interested, please provide input on:

- which day(Saturday or Sunday) and time (morning/afternoon) works for you
    - possible venues
    - meetup and drive?
    - should it be just Teslas or invite other EVs?

Here's a link to the plug in website.

National Plug In Day

Let me know your thoughts..would love to see everyone again and meet new owners!

2. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Sign me up :smile:
    Sunday is better but I can get Saturday off if I have to.
    Venues would depend on level of interest I would presume, and I have no idea how many would attend.
    If Spleen could use his printing prowess perhaps we could put fliers on EV's we run across to try and drum up interest.
    It should definitely be open to all EV's IMO.

3. drtko147

drtko147 Member

I think both days would be good. Maybe if we had a contact at the Sierra club, it could be bigger. I would think that it would be good for all EVs, not just for Tesla owners.

4. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

I'm open to either day, as both are equally busy for me, so it will likely be a game-day decision. Agree that it should be all EVs, in line with the national campaign. Would be nice to get some press out of it and hopefully remind our legislators to add some teeth to the existing EV parking laws.

5. kekolohe

kekolohe Member

Sounds like fun. Is there an Oahu EV club or group? If we could get organized, maybe we could get HECO or Tesla or other dealers to donate snacks, or something.

On the National Plug In Day website the only Hawaii events shown are on the Big Island.

6. spleen

spleen Active Member

Saturday afternoon (I'm working in the AM) or Sunday any time for me. Is there a generic flyer for National Plug In Day where we can just fill in details? I agree, it should be all plug in vehicles.

7. jeffdhood

jeffdhood Member

Aloha Everyone, I just got the email below and thought some of you might find some of the information useful...

Yeah!

Sent from my mobile phone - pardon any typos.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: September 4, 2013, 6:19:23 AM HST
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Plug In Day: We have a national sponsor - Nissan
    Reply-To: Chad Schwitters <[email protected]>

Hello,

Great news – Nissan is a national sponsor of National Plug In Day!
    Here are the implications that may matter to you:

1. This does NOT have any impact on National Plug In Day’s mission
    to support all plug-ins. LEAFs should not get special treatment at
    events. Nissan understands that the event is about all plug-in
    vehicles, and that a growing market helps all brands.

2. This could help some of you with insurance costs. If you are having
    your event at a site that requires an insurance certificate (most
    don’t), this may apply to you. If you are a Sierra Club member, this
    does not apply to you (they have a separate insurance method; see
    http://pluginday.org/resources.php#insurance). The rule used to be
    that if non-Sierra Club organizers needed an insurance certificate,
    Plug In America could provide one - but it would cost your local group
    $100. We now can cover this cost from the national funds.

3. Nissan has asked for contact info for city captains in key markets.
    A few of you may hear from a Nissan marketing team member soon. There
    is no need to be frightened; working with them is very pleasant. Their
    goal is to support your event and make it better. They will show up at
    some events with employees, cars and banners. (A few cities are
    charging automakers a booth fee to show up like this - please let me
    know if this is the case in your city). While they will obviously
    require some of your time to coordinate, we don’t expect them to
    have other demands from you, and we fully expect the net result to be
    positive for your event. We would appreciate hearing from you if you
    have any issues (or what the heck – we’d like to hear from you if
    things go well!).

4. If you are making signs or posters for your event, you should
    include Nissan’s logo (top left of NissanUsa.com) when you can.
    HOWEVER: please note that Nissan’s logo can not appear on the same
    sign as Sierra Club’s logo! (Details here:
    http://pluginday.org/resources.php#sponsor). Some signs may not have
    the Sierra Club logo; please put the Nissan logo on those signs. If a
    sign does have Sierra Club’s logo, then instead of Nissan’s logo
    instead please use non-prominent text similar to “National Plug In
    Day is brought to you in part by the Nissan LEAF”.

5. We are putting together a “Charging 101” flyer – very
    high-level information for curious non-owners to take home with them.
    This will have sponsor logos on it (it will not have Sierra Club, Plug
    In America or Electric Auto Association logos – just the National
    Plug In Day logo). We hope you will make the fliers available for
    attendees to take home with them. We are looking for a reasonable
    method to print and distribute them at no cost to your event; you may
    hear from Erin on this topic (her first question will likely be how
    many attendees you expect for your event).

If you have any questions about this sponsorship, please let me know.
    We want this to work for Nissan – but it has to work for city
    captains as well! We appreciate your support; we can't do this event
    without you.

Thank you,
    Chad Schwitters
    Plug In America

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

#8 Akikiki, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    Today, I received an email from Plug In America that has a tie to the Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo at the Hawaii Convention Center, Honolulu 9-11 Sep. I am pasting most of the contents here for everyone to see.

Plug In America's Dan Davids will moderate a panel at the upcoming Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo taking place on September 9-11, at the Hawaii Convention Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. Among many other great sessions, the panel Dan is moderating is titled:
    How Hawaii Can Lead the World in EV Deployment
    To help reduce fossil fuel dependency across the islands, Hawaii is looking at the adoption and widespread deployment of electric vehicles as a key approach towards building a clean transportation future. Hear prominent industry and university executives, researchers and electric vehicle advocates discuss how Hawaii can remain a competitive leader in an evolving EV industry. Panelist will examine national and international best practices and market trends, infrastructure interoperability and deployment and EV policies.

The Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo is the preeminent meeting place for international leaders and energy experts at the forefront of the clean energy movement. Securing energy independence and developing a clean energy industry that promotes the vitality of our planet are two reasons why it is critical to reaffirm already established partnerships and build new ones throughout the Asia-Pacific region and the world. The Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo and the Islands & Isolated Communities Congress provide a forum for the high-level global networking necessary to advance this emerging clean energy culture.
    View the full program or register on their event website.
    We hope to see you there!

9. 1.21Gigawatts

1.21Gigawatts Member

Count me in, and should have be open to all EV's Let me know if I can help I know some of the local dealers and a few contacts with HECO. This might be a good idea for some of the Solar companies as well. To make this a great event we need time to set everything up. Looks like this is starting to build into some thing bigger then we planned.. But that's OK. We might need a bigger meeting place. Any ideas? http://blaisdellcenter.com/ ? Aloha Stadium LOL ok not sure why this is changing my text :( sorry. We should plan some meetings to brain storm like at Starbucks Friday or Saturday one with lots of open parking like Pearl city,:smile: can park on the Walmart side.

10. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

One issue I hope they will address at this conference and to address the topic of "how Hawaii can lead the world in EV Deployment". what model can they come up with to address the issues and to help with the adoption for EV chargers in multi-family unit dwellings. Condos and apartments in Hawaii represent the majority of residents in Hawaii. without adequate measures to help them comply with HI law with regard to number of EV parking spaces required for their parking lots, people will not adopt EV vehicles in sufficient numbers for any type of lead with EV deployment. Hawaii will remain an ICE dominated location.

Just my 2 cents.

11. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Agree 100%. I personally have lived in apartments most of my adult life and only recently moved into a house (just 4 years ago). I don't think I would have considered the Tesla Model S if I wasn't living in a house at the time I discovered it. If/when the infrastructure is widespread in apartments is when you'll really see some serious EV adoption in Hawaii.

12. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Hawaii was the first state to adopt a law stating that condo associations can't "unreasonably" disallow unit owners from installing EVSEs. This was after a Roadster owner was denied for no reason other than the condo association didn't want to deal with it.

I don't recall if it applied to apartments or not (Dan would know; introduce yourself if you see him at the event - he is always happy to talk to owners). But in any event, encouraging new apartments & condos to have wiring is a great idea too. Vancouver BC was the first city I know of to do this; developers made a huge fuss about the expense, but soon discovered the wired units sold faster and for a premium, and now they happily wire more than they are required to. Incidentally, Vancouver did it because EV owners volunteered for on committees that approved building codes.

13. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Thanks ChadS. That's some great insights. Having wired apartments ready (or at least somewhat easily installed) for EVSEs would be a huge lure for me if I was in the market now, because there's no way I'm giving up my Tesla now that I've had a chance to own one. Perhaps we are closer to the "tipping point" than I thought, but it would help for us (somewhat) early adopters to be more activist and get more done on behalf of EVs.

14. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

I was looking at some of the resources that Plug-in has for its events National Plug In Day - Resources
    And am thinking this event is too big to plan in a few weeks..work is insanely busy for me this month so I won't be able to take the lead on this one. Maybe we should save this event for next year?

15. spleen

spleen Active Member

Yeah, was wondering how we were going to pull this off with such a short lead time. Think that's fine too. We could still do an informal drive just to celebrate plug in day without it being an official event.

16. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

I'm up for an informal drive..Sunday works best for me. Maybe afternoon this time so those who have morning commitments can make it?

17. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Yeah, I'd be up for an informal drive too. Sunday would be better for me as well.

18. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Informal drive sounds great! Sunday works fine for me.

19. drtko147

drtko147 Member

An informal drive sounds good. Sunday afternoon is fine. We can send out this information via the news media. Maybe Spleen can make up signs to stick on the rear windows.

20. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

That's fine; but just to be clear, those resources are to help people that want to plan a big event. You don't have to have a big event - small events are fine! If you want three cars sitting in a parking lot, that still counts. If you just want a drive, that counts. If you still have it as an NPID event, it will be listed on the NPID map, so people in your area may hear about NPID and join in. It's just another way to get the word out about what you're doing.