Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Owners - Lessons Learned and other Tesla Revelations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to start a new thread where Hawaii owners can share experiences with Tesla whether it be the car, service and the SC, sales, etc. I think these stories sometimes gets lost in our general Hawaii Owners thread.

I'll start...this is a long one..

As many of you know I recently picked up a new ocean blue 70D. I was without a Tesla for two anxious and sometime stressful months.

When I ordered my 70D, I didn’t want to pay for the then $5,000 premium package just to get a power lift gate I wanted, so opted out. Then decided I should try the manual lift gate at the SC. I hated it. It was heavy, bulky and not easy for me to use. Susan mentioned that there was still a push to get the PLG separated out of the premium package so I decided to wait a couple weeks until the end of the month before paying the change fee and adding the overpriced PLG package.

The day BEFORE I was going to change my order, my car went into production! From following the delivery threads, I figured I had at least another week before production. I rushed to contact my DS to see if I could still add the Premium package but she said it was too late.

I couldn't see myself paying so much $$ for a car with a manual lift gate that I would resent the whole time I owned it. I emailed Jerome G. who is in charge of Customer Satisfaction that night and let him know my issues with the PLG and that I would not take the car without it. He responded (within a few hours!) and said they would do everything they could to make sure I was satisfied with my new car! My email was forwarded to the production and regional sales managers who also got back to me quickly..but alas it was too late in the production for them to do a last minute change :(

My options...order a new one which they would expedite but lose my $2,500 deposit or they could find me an inventory car in Hawaii or California.

I opted to see what inventory cars were available first. Susan said she would be looking for me. My anxieties and stress levels increased as I was in Tesla limbo for almost a week until she found me the perfect car in California. Yay! She said it was difficult to find my configuration because the new color inventory cars were snatched up once available for sale. So I was lucky. The car was is likely one of the first 70Ds produced as I've seen several pictures posted of it on the forum right after the new color and 70D was announced. It had everything I wanted with the addition of upgraded cyclone wheels. But with the showroom discount it was a good deal.

I reserved right away and the wait for delivery and the race to get my car before Papafox ensued :eek:

SO…the LESSON LEARNED is NOT to wait to make any changes to the car if you decide you need to make one. OR just make sure your order is exactly what you want the first time! Unfortunately I got caught in the middle of some major changes to the MS. Overall, I am extremely impressed with the prompt responses from the Tesla corporate office and regional managers. At what other car company do the execs personally respond to your email and within a few hours!

But of course, all the anxiety and stress was forgotten once I saw my car for the first time :)

Last edited:
Great story. I am always freshly impressed with the personal attention that come from all levels of TM representatives and management. And they do it with a genuine smile on their faces. They make every person feel special. The treat everyone like family (maybe even better). What other car company or even non-car company treats everyone like that?

Now nanimac, you still owe us a report on the 70D performance and features. More, more, more.

I think the moral of the story is to just let Papafox win the competition next time. Glad there was a satisfactory resolution ; )

Decided to start a new thread where Hawaii owners can share experiences with Tesla whether it be the car, service and the SC, sales, etc. I think these stories sometimes gets lost in our general Hawaii Owners thread.

I'll start...this is a long one..

As many of you know I recently picked up a new ocean blue 70D. I was without a Tesla for two anxious and sometime stressful months.

When I ordered my 70D, I didn’t want to pay for the then $5,000 premium package just to get a power lift gate I wanted, so opted out. Then decided I should try the manual lift gate at the SC. I hated it. It was heavy, bulky and not easy for me to use. Susan mentioned that there was still a push to get the PLG separated out of the premium package so I decided to wait a couple weeks until the end of the month before paying the change fee and adding the overpriced PLG package.

The day BEFORE I was going to change my order, my car went into production! From following the delivery threads, I figured I had at least another week before production. I rushed to contact my DS to see if I could still add the Premium package but she said it was too late.

I couldn't see myself paying so much $$ for a car with a manual lift gate that I would resent the whole time I owned it. I emailed Jerome G. who is in charge of Customer Satisfaction that night and let him know my issues with the PLG and that I would not take the car without it. He responded (within a few hours!) and said they would do everything they could to make sure I was satisfied with my new car! My email was forwarded to the production and regional sales managers who also got back to me quickly..but alas it was too late in the production for them to do a last minute change :(

My options...order a new one which they would expedite but lose my $2,500 deposit or they could find me an inventory car in Hawaii or California.

I opted to see what inventory cars were available first. Susan said she would be looking for me. My anxieties and stress levels increased as I was in Tesla limbo for almost a week until she found me the perfect car in California. Yay! She said it was difficult to find my configuration because the new color inventory cars were snatched up once available for sale. So I was lucky. The car was is likely one of the first 70Ds produced as I've seen several pictures posted of it on the forum right after the new color and 70D was announced. It had everything I wanted with the addition of upgraded cyclone wheels. But with the showroom discount it was a good deal.

I reserved right away and the wait for delivery and the race to get my car before Papafox ensued :eek:

SO…the LESSON LEARNED is NOT to wait to make any changes to the car if you decide you need to make one. OR just make sure your order is exactly what you want the first time! Unfortunately I got caught in the middle of some major changes to the MS. Overall, I am extremely impressed with the prompt responses from the Tesla corporate office and regional managers. At what other car company do the execs personally respond to your email and within a few hours!

But of course, all the anxiety and stress was forgotten once I saw my car for the first time :)

Papafox, there's always next time...we are tied now :)

Akikiki, my impressions of the 70D...

So many changes from my "classic" 40...but besides the power folding mirrors and parking sensors...

- Tried TACC today for the first time. All I could say while I was driving without stepping on the pedal as the car slowed down and sped up with traffic and as I switched lanes without stepping on the accelerator was THIS IS SO F*!@$# AWESOME! Some quirks to get used like the car doesn't recognize when there's a bend in the road so keeps it's speed..65mph can be a little fast! It's like learning to drive a totally different way now with autopilot.

-Other autopilot stuff: Blind spot alerts show up on the dash to the left or right of the speedometer as a curved line. Am thinking they are/were getting ready for the camera side mirrors so put them there. Speed assistance: I like how you can set the amount over the speed limit that you would like to get alerted. I didn't even realize parts of the H-1 were 45mph! Lane departure warning..annoying rumble so I turned off..

- The Ride... the D is definitely more solid on the road..but also feels a little bumpier. And fast?..of course you Know the answer :)

- Next Gen seats - much more support and a lot more comfortable...I no longer need my seat cushion which helped provide support and height..lol

- Improvements made - charge port door is no longer magnetized and shuts automatically now. Standard stereo sounds better.

Overall, am very HAPPY with the car and amazed at the improvements made in just 2 short years....

Last edited:
I wish to add my thumbs up to the already glowing comments made by Nanimac about the 70D. The TACC is fabulous on a long drive. I had major traffic at times on I-5 and with my max speed set and distance set between myself and the car ahead, the Tesla took care of all the work. All I had to do was watch out for big surprises and keep the car in the lane. Starting later this month, the keeping the car in the lane feature will be taken up by the Tesla too.

Truly, I can sit in the Next Gen seats all day without any discomfort. Now, if I can just get one of these for my office chair!

You didn't mention the auto-dimming of the headlights, and there's not too much opportunity to use on Oahu, but driving at night down from Oregon in deer country this feature was wonderful.

All in all, the better seat comfort, the cruise control, and the auto-dimming lights results in a very comfortable driving experience. I took one day off from driving so far, but in the other four days I've put more than 2000 miles on the car. I attribute this high mileage to the fact that I don't get tired driving like I did in every previous car and because the car is so dang fun to drive.

Last edited:
nanimac, all I can say is good things comes to those who wait.

My experience with TACC has been a little amusing. Since my car was built in the last quarter of 2014, it came with the autopilot hardware dormant. The first update to enable the TACC was around late January, I think??? Knowing I would be the lucky guinea pig for this, figure I'm in no rush to try it. Couple of days past, no news of crashes, so decided to give it a go, and oh yeah, it worked! It was a little jerky, but yeah, it did its thing. Although, I did find out she had a slightly mischievous tendency. It took exceptions to someone wanting to get into my lane. When some car wanted to merge into my lane, she would accelerate as if “Not if front of me you don’t!!!” This happened a couple of times early on so I assume it’s fixed, and along with a couple of updates since, it operates a lot smoother now. This been taking the work out of stop and go traffic for my commute. Although, I still tentatively have one foot ready to hit the brakes, just because.

I'm sure we'll have more to discuss when full autopilot is enabled, but for now, glad to here Tesla 2.0 is actually so much more that 1.0.

Thanks For sharing Cohn and welcome to the forum! I use auto pilot everyday on my commute. It's actually entertaining on my long drive and keeps me from "accidentally" speeding! I had read the issues with TACC so was a little hesitant to use it at first and to "trust" the car... am still a little leery that a car might cut in front of me unexpectedly if I leave too big of a gap so have my foot ready just in case. But really like it overall and can't wait for lane keeping and self-parking :smile:

Can anyone provide me help on fighting my HOA who has harassed me since I bought my townhouse in Makakilo? I have done everything I can to prove the way I connect is safe including hiring someone to inspect my connectivity and now they are saying I am not following those guidelines which is all crud! HELP!!!!

Reactions: SW2Fiddler