TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hawaii Powder Coating Wheels Options?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by StephenM, Feb 10, 2014.

1. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Hello fellow owners. Just wondering if anyone knows a shop locally that can do powder coating of wheels. I like the look of the powder coated white wheels in this thread:

Tesla 21' rims, sensors caps any color you want

Though I'm not so sure I could get this through with my wife (pretty sure she will hate it). But I've found that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tesla service centers all have local out-sourcing for powder coating rims (due to the high amount of curb rash repairs on the MS 21" wheels). Ask your local service guys and they'll likely share their contact with you.

3. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

Ok, this may sound "ghetto", but you can actually achieve good-looking results with rubberized paint; a.k.a. Plasti-Dip. It comes in a wide variety of colors. The one important characteristic is, if you (or your significant other) get tired of it, it's a fairly easy matter to peel the coating off and go with a new look, or just take it back to original. And yet, it's fairly durable. I did the wheels on one of my cars about a year ago and they are still holding up well. The "undo" ability was important for this car, since it's a lease :)

The material is fairly forgiving during application. So, if you don't mind a bit of DIY, you can do a set of wheels in an afternoon.

Kits are available on DIPYOURCAR.COM.

One thing to watch for with powder-coating alloy rims is embrittlement of the metal.

4. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Thanks for the tips, Nigel and Nubo. I'll look into them both!

5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

StephenM, yes, there's a company in Hawaii that powercoats wheels.
    Charges about $ 95 each for 19" wheels.

Hi-Tech Coatings
    91-202 Kalaeloa Blvd
    Kapolei

682-2000

6. drtko147

drtko147 Member

I looked at the DIPYOURCAR.COM and was going to order the kit but the shipping was the same price as the products, $30. Do you know if there is a local distributor?

7. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

If you just want white, Home Depot carries white plasti-dip and also the "glossifier" if you want a gloss look. The prep-work is key; just make sure the wheels are absolutely clean before starting. There are plenty of videos on the dipyourcar site to show you the techniques.

8. drtko147

drtko147 Member

Nubo,

Thanks for the information. I am wondering if they have grey to match what I have now.

9. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Crap. I ran it by my wife thinking there was a chance she may like it. She gave an unequivocal "NO!"
    Lol! I'll just shop for some aftermarket wheels when I run into more money.

10. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Yours are 21's right? You should be able to sell your old ones here for a backup/spare.

check out the wheels at formytesla.com

11. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! :cursing: