Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Powder Coating Wheels Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, this may sound "ghetto", but you can actually achieve good-looking results with rubberized paint; a.k.a. Plasti-Dip. It comes in a wide variety of colors. The one important characteristic is, if you (or your significant other) get tired of it, it's a fairly easy matter to peel the coating off and go with a new look, or just take it back to original. And yet, it's fairly durable. I did the wheels on one of my cars about a year ago and they are still holding up well. The "undo" ability was important for this car, since it's a lease :)

The material is fairly forgiving during application. So, if you don't mind a bit of DIY, you can do a set of wheels in an afternoon.

Kits are available on DIPYOURCAR.COM.

One thing to watch for with powder-coating alloy rims is embrittlement of the metal.

Ok, this may sound "ghetto", but you can actually achieve good-looking results with rubberized paint; a.k.a. Plasti-Dip. It comes in a wide variety of colors. The one important characteristic is, if you (or your significant other) get tired of it, it's a fairly easy matter to peel the coating off and go with a new look, or just take it back to original. And yet, it's fairly durable. I did the wheels on one of my cars about a year ago and they are still holding up well. The "undo" ability was important for this car, since it's a lease :)

The material is fairly forgiving during application. So, if you don't mind a bit of DIY, you can do a set of wheels in an afternoon.

Kits are available on DIPYOURCAR.COM.

One thing to watch for with powder-coating alloy rims is embrittlement of the metal.

I looked at the DIPYOURCAR.COM and was going to order the kit but the shipping was the same price as the products, $30. Do you know if there is a local distributor?

I looked at the DIPYOURCAR.COM and was going to order the kit but the shipping was the same price as the products, $30. Do you know if there is a local distributor?

If you just want white, Home Depot carries white plasti-dip and also the "glossifier" if you want a gloss look. The prep-work is key; just make sure the wheels are absolutely clean before starting. There are plenty of videos on the dipyourcar site to show you the techniques.