Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Safety Check Sticker Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone remember this reply that I wrote about back in Mid-June?
Today I was down at Min Plastics, (just off Dillingham near King). I discussed with them this plate
and doing it again. I gave them my pattern and discussed material and cost.
Bottom line: Min Plastics will make/sell you this safety inspection backing plate for your license plate for $ 18.00 + tax.
It will be a about 1/8-3/16th thick, and clear plastic like. I don't know the material, but clear is cheapest,
and I think will blend better with all cars. They are also going to drill holes where a tag would overlay the plate.
It will be a little smaller so as to fit behind and be covered by the license tag in case you use a frame that surrounds the tag and hooks around the edges of the tag.

My beta versions of this cost $ $ 20.00 for material and $ 15.00 to be cut. Min sells it car-ready for $ 18.00

Min Plastics
921 Kaamahu Place
Honolulu, 96819

Questions?

Sweet! Thanks Akikiki!

Akikiki:
I sure do remember your safety check mounting plate. Thanksnfor showing it to me. You inspired me to do something similar in aluminum so I could trim it myself with metal snips. Turns out that Home Depot sells 18"x6" aluminum sheets. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I put it--otherwise, I'd give everyone the SKU number.

Like you, I'm also interested in getting a spare 19" wheel & tire, preferably with a TPM system set up to work with my car. Anyone try that yet?

Ok just a heads up on safety stickers. I was getting my new stickers for my ICE car and was told in November of this year the stickers are going away. Looks like they are going to use a tablet to take pictures of the vin and other stuff. Looks like some new program for the next 3yrs. This is the first I have heard of it anyone else hear anything?

Ok just a heads up on safety stickers. I was getting my new stickers for my ICE car and was told in November of this year the stickers are going away. Looks like they are going to use a tablet to take pictures of the vin and other stuff. Looks like some new program for the next 3yrs. This is the first I have heard of it anyone else hear anything?

They did a story on this a few week ago on TV. I don't remember the details but the change was to modernize the system and provide anti-counterfeiting details to the sticker.

Yeah. It has been on the news. They're just gonna modernize the system to combat the problem of safety check thefts. I don't think they're going away though. The price of safety checks are going up to fund the update.

Just picked up my safety check on Friday and the service manager was explaining how they are getting new stickers soon to replace the old ones. He said the left half of the sticker is the same, but the right half that has the color is being changed to a number to signify the year, instead of the color. He also mentioned the electronic submission info too, but didn't say anything about them going away.

I'd be surprised if they do away with the sticker. It shows the police without them searching a database.
But the news also reported that stations would be required to get tablets with internet connection to update the database immediately and reduce the processing time for the inspections to be entered into the database. The fee would increase to a total of about $ 19.19, or so. Can we live with that, or should we protest?

Akikiki: I think a $5 boost is a small fee to pay if it can cut down sticker thefts. A friend of mine had a hole cut in his bumper so they could steal his safety check sticker. That's why I like those sticker plates such as yours. Far less costly to replace the plate than an entire bumper. An electronic database where everything has to match (car, VIN, lic #, safety check sticker #) would be even better yet. If it can make sticker thefts moot, I'm all for it.

Updated 8/27

Anyone remember this reply that I wrote about back in Mid-June?
I visited Min Plastics, (just off Dillingham near King) and discussed this sticker plate. I gave them my pattern and discussed material and cost.
Bottom line: Min Plastics will make/sell you this (they like to call it a) "Sticker Holder" for your Safety Inspection Sticker Plate for $ 18.00 + tax. Its about 1/8" thick and milky plastic. They drilled oblong holes where a tag would overlay the plate. It is a little smaller so it disappears behind and is covered by the license tag. If you use a frame that surrounds the tag it will hook around the edges of the tag. It looks good. Very nice alternative to sticking it on the bumper. Easy to mount behind the tag. My beta versions of this cost $ 20.00 for material and $ 15.00 to be cut. Min sells it car-ready for $ 18.00+ tax.

Min Plastics
921 Kaamahu Place
Honolulu, 96819

Note: It's not to late to change to this setup after you already have a Safety Inspection and sticker. Pickup the Sticker Holder or the metal side bracket some people like to use. Go back to your Safety Inspection station, and tell them that you want to move (replace) your sticker next to the tag. For $5 they will issue you a new sticker on the plate and remove the old one.

Questions?

I had a question for those on the forum. With the new safety check process and the new stickers being placed on the bumper, do you have any recommendations as to a bracket to use? I currently have one that places the stickers vertically but it looks like the new stickers are only mounted horizontally.

drtko:
I have the same situation & concern. Akikiki showed me his blank plastic plate at the service center last year. That same idea could be modified to fit the new horizontal only sticker. I intended to use a variation of the plastic sheet. My plan was to use the 6" x 18" 21 gage sheet aluminum that I bought from Home Depot and copy Akikiki's idea, but adapt it for the new horizontal sticker. Since license plates are 6"x12" aluminum, I'd cut the sheet aluminum the same size as a license plate, but with a horizontal tab that sticks on the right side. Just need to drill plate mounting holes and file the cut edges. Here is the stock #: Crown Bolt 6 in. x 18 in. 21-Gauge Aluminum Metal Sheet-47640 at The Home Depot. Sorry, no pics because I haven't gotten around to it yet. Busy with family issues right now, which is why I never could make it out to those get togethers or even wash my car for the past 3 months. If you beat me to it, please post a pic.

Hi, did I miss something about the stickers? Has the Hawaii statute changed that allows the sticker to be mounted stacked vertically?

The Hawaii statutes permitted the stickers we have been using to be mounted vertically. It's legal unless the act changed.

FYI, the safety inspection sticker design changed. I recently had my car inspected, and the new sticker is different from the old sticker. Maybe if I get a chance I'll post a pic.

My husband's car has the same sticker holder next to the license plate that some of us has and the sticker is vertical. The dealer said it's not supposed to be like that so I guess we'll see if he ever gets in trouble for it. :eek:

Under the previous version of the Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) 19-133.2-24(b), you were allowed to have the safety check sticker in a vertical orientation on a plate next to the license plate, provided the stickers were placed month on top, then year. The new rules submitted to the Governor in June 2013 by the Hawaii DOT revised this to only allow for the new sticker to be placed in a horizontal orientation, either directly on the bumper or on a special plate attached below the bumper or to the license plate:

"(b) After the certificate of inspection is signed, an inspection sticker shall be affixed by the inspector upon the right, most nearly vertical portion of the rear bumper of the vehicle or on another appropriate place, such as, a special bracket installed under the right portion or center of the rear bumper or a bracket attached to the rear license plate oriented so the sticker can be affixed in an upright position and clearly viewed by a person who is fifty feet behind the vehicle. The rear window or the face of the license plate is not an appropriate place."

Fortunately, my current sticker is good til August, so I have a few months to go shopping for a new bracket. They carry them at Ron's Auto Parts in Iwilei. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pdf of the new Hawaii Admin Rules, just in case you need it to prove to the inspection station that it's allowed to have it on a bracket. I've had many occasions where inspectors argued with me under the old rules that the bracket wasn't allowed.

View attachment HAR 19-133.2-24 Rvsd June 2013.pdf

drtko:
I have the same situation & concern. Akikiki showed me his blank plastic plate at the service center last year. That same idea could be modified to fit the new horizontal only sticker. I intended to use a variation of the plastic sheet. My plan was to use the 6" x 18" 21 gage sheet aluminum that I bought from Home Depot and copy Akikiki's idea, but adapt it for the new horizontal sticker. Since license plates are 6"x12" aluminum, I'd cut the sheet aluminum the same size as a license plate, but with a horizontal tab that sticks on the right side. Just need to drill plate mounting holes and file the cut edges. Here is the stock #: Crown Bolt 6 in. x 18 in. 21-Gauge Aluminum Metal Sheet-47640 at The Home Depot. Sorry, no pics because I haven't gotten around to it yet. Busy with family issues right now, which is why I never could make it out to those get togethers or even wash my car for the past 3 months. If you beat me to it, please post a pic.

Thanks for this information. I'm in no rush yet since my safety check doesn't expire until June. If I do get around to doing this, I can make some for others if they want.

Thanks for this information. I'm in no rush yet since my safety check doesn't expire until June. If I do get around to doing this, I can make some for others if they want.

I'm due for inspection and just picked up a new inspection mounting plate at Ron's Performance. Ouch. $24 for one that mounts next to the plate and sticks out horizontally. the ones that mount under the bumper were only $15. (I guess supply and demand...) I am thinking that I may stop by home depot and make my own. I don't like the one screw hold down that allows the bracket to move up and down slightly (like my current old style vertical bracket)

I'm due for inspection and just picked up a new inspection mounting plate at Ron's Performance. Ouch. $24 for one that mounts next to the plate and sticks out horizontally. the ones that mount under the bumper were only $15. (I guess supply and demand...) I am thinking that I may stop by home depot and make my own. I don't like the one screw hold down that allows the bracket to move up and down slightly (like my current old style vertical bracket)

From an earlier discussion, solar powered mentioned copying akikiki's design with buying an aluminum sheet from Home Depot. It would cut out to match the license plate with a tab to accommodate the horizontally mounted safety inspection sticker. I am trying to figure out the dimensions of the safety inspection sticker to make sure that I cut out the right size tab. This design should minimize any movement and avoid scratching the paint.

From an earlier discussion, solar powered mentioned copying akikiki's design with buying an aluminum sheet from Home Depot. It would cut out to match the license plate with a tab to accommodate the horizontally mounted safety inspection sticker. I am trying to figure out the dimensions of the safety inspection sticker to make sure that I cut out the right size tab. This design should minimize any movement and avoid scratching the paint.

I measured the sticker that was on another car but didn't write it down... I think it was 3" W X 2" H. the bracket I got is in the car, I'll measure that later tonight or find a car with the new sticker and measure that again.