Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Safety Check Sticker Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dsmith: +1--agree it's 3x2. Please post photos if you beat me to it.

I took a photo of the bracket I bought (measures 3 1/8" X 2 1/8" to fit the 3" x 2" sticker.) and the USB connection on my phone died before I could download it.:cursing: I had to buy a new phone.:cursing: It will probably take me a little bit to figure out my new phone. I was just hoping I could plug it in with the USB and download a photo using the new phone, but that didn't work. someone said something about reading the instructions. What are instructions and how do they tell me how to do something? I don't understand.:confused:

Last edited:
I took a photo of the bracket I bought (measures 3 1/8" X 2 1/8" to fit the 3" x 2" sticker.) and the USB connection on my phone died before I could download it.:cursing: I had to buy a new phone.:cursing: It will probably take me a little bit to figure out my new phone. I was just hoping I could plug it in with the USB and download a photo using the new phone, but that didn't work. someone said something about reading the instructions. What are instructions and how do they tell me how to do something? I don't understand.:confused:

finally got the blurry:cursing: photo off my :cursing: phone...:cursing:
IMAG0203.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out that Home Depot sells 18"x6" aluminum sheets. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I put it--otherwise, I'd give everyone the SKU number.

My plan was to use the 6" x 18" 21 gage sheet aluminum that I bought from Home Depot and copy Akikiki's idea, but adapt it for the new horizontal sticker. Since license plates are 6"x12" aluminum, I'd cut the sheet aluminum the same size as a license plate, but with a horizontal tab that sticks on the right side. Just need to drill plate mounting holes and file the cut edges. Here is the stock #: Crown Bolt 6 in. x 18 in. 21-Gauge Aluminum Metal Sheet-47640 at The Home Depot.

finally got the blurry:cursing: photo off my :cursing: phone...:cursing:
View attachment 42772
Stopped at Home Depot and picked up an aluminum sheet.
Sheet Metal Aluminum.jpg

to protect the car from the backside of the tab I also picked up some ...
option A) Electric Outlet & Switch Sealers (Plastic foam) and Outdoor Mounting tape. (Pro: resistant to water, Con: multiple layers and unknown durability)
option B) Self Adhesive Vinyl Bumpers (Pro: easy to apply and sturdy, con: may be a bit hard)
option C) Self adhesive felt pad (Pro: easy to cut and apply, Con: wet environment and felt don't go together)

Min Plastics, 921 Kaamahu Place, Honolulu, can provide a plastic license backing plate that includes a safety sticker tab extending horizonally to the right of the license plate.

We went by Min Plastics and requested a mod to the previous backing plate design. The were happy to accommodate the change. They usually have one already cut from their template. But I recommend a short call to verify before you make a trip.
(847-1511 ask for Claudio)

I'll add a picture here later when I get my new plate.

Min Plastics, 921 Kaamahu Place, Honolulu, can provide a plastic license backing plate that includes a safety sticker tab extending horizonally to the right of the license plate.

We went by Min Plastics and requested a mod to the previous backing plate design. The were happy to accommodate the change. They usually have one already cut from their template. But I recommend a short call to verify before you make a trip.
(847-1511 ask for Claudio)

I'll add a picture here later when I get my new plate.
I tried to stop on Friday but got caught in traffic.:cursing: (They close at 4:30 M-F) by the time I got there they were closed.:frown: I guess I'll just use my homemade aluminum one:rolleyes:

dsmith, they are holding one for you of the two they just made up. I will give you through Wednesday to decide. Else I have commmitted to them to come get it. Just let me know your final decision.
Unfortunately I can't wait. The only time in my schedule to get my car inspected is this weekend, so I will have to go with the one I made. Sorry, I tried:frown: but the traffic was terrible on Friday.

Thanks for the ref to Min Plastics. I stopped by on 03 Sept to pick up the placeholder with the sticker. The current mid they have has the sticker oriented horizontally. One of the guys at the desk noted that placing the sticker sideways was not an option as some places wouldn't even install that way. $19.95 with taxes.
Aloha

Thanks for the ref to Min Plastics. I stopped by on 03 Sept to pick up the placeholder with the sticker. The current mid they have has the sticker oriented horizontally. One of the guys at the desk noted that placing the sticker sideways was not an option as some places wouldn't even install that way. $19.95 with taxes.
Aloha

Yes, with the new design of the sticker, there's also a change to the rules regarding its placement. Sometimes the inspection station resists using the position that you wish for them to use. Its a good idea to take with you a copy of the appropriate pages of the Hawaii Administrative Rules to show them that's is an acceptable position. The section you want to use is HAR 19-133.2-24

Google brought me here. Quick question...does anyone here make a bracket to put the out of state permit and safety sticker on a plate on the bottom of the bumper. As a detail fanatic and someone keeping my out of state tags...im dreading this huge blue sticker on my car. Thanks guys. Ive seen more Teslas here than on the mainland.

Google brought me here. Quick question...does anyone here make a bracket to put the out of state permit and safety sticker on a plate on the bottom of the bumper. As a detail fanatic and someone keeping my out of state tags...im dreading this huge blue sticker on my car. Thanks guys. Ive seen more Teslas here than on the mainland.

If you're here in HI, this post still applies.

Originally Posted by Akikiki<br />
@solar powered, I made a plate bolted it to two long steel strips that I got at City Mill. Then I mounted to the lower hard plastic (mine is chrome colored, some are black) on the bottom of the rear of the car. It draws your eyes to it on the back, and I don't particularly like that. But I could not think of a better way. I didn't want it on the bumper. I saw one on a plate that was attached some how to the right far end of the license plate, but it looked odd that way.<br />
<br />
I heard O'Reily's had a sticker mounting plate. But three I went to, didn't have them. Could not find one of Amazon either.<br />
Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you.
<br />
<br />
Razor Sports in Pearlridge had them, the last time I checked.

I originally had it on the bottom of the bumper, but it was too low to pass safety inspection.

No, not that I am aware of, but there's a plastics company that made the plate some of us use. Its a full license plate sized plastic sheet with holes for the plate. It resides behind the license plate and prevents the plate from touching the paint. We need a notch out the right side for our safety inspection sticker. I suspect they could make for you what you are looking for - out of plastic. Contact them if you are interested. Google Min Plastics, Honolulu.

Check Ron's auto parts in the Iwilei area. They sell the metal safety check sticker plates and had both the side license plate mount and bottom mount plates when I stopped in there a week ago to get a new plate for the new style sticker. Mine was $12, IIRC.

Check Ron's auto parts in the Iwilei area. They sell the metal safety check sticker plates and had both the side license plate mount and bottom mount plates when I stopped in there a week ago to get a new plate for the new style sticker. Mine was $12, IIRC.

Weren't you concerned about that metal mount scratching the MS paint?
Its for that reason we got Min Plas to create the clear plate.

Weren't you concerned about that metal mount scratching the MS paint?
Its for that reason we got Min Plas to create the clear plate.
No, the new horizontal plate is bent up away from where it attaches to the license frame bolt, so it can't touch the body. When I had the old style plate, I used some black weatherstrip self-adhesive on the back of the plate.