Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Safety Check Sticker Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my car from Florida and wanted to keep my Jaguars plate for as long as possible, so I got that giant out of state sticker.... I found this thread while searching, so I wanted to share how I dealt with it.

I bought a $5 Rubbermaid container from Walmart and cut the lid to fit under the license plate. Then I stuck the sticker to it and trimmed. Here's the end result. Better than paying the $25 on Amazon and waiting 30 days for it.
IMG_20190112_193448.jpg
IMG_20190108_193301.jpg

Min Plastics, 921 Kaamahu Place, Honolulu, can provide a plastic license backing plate that includes a safety sticker tab extending horizonally to the right of the license plate.

We went by Min Plastics and requested a mod to the previous backing plate design. The were happy to accommodate the change. They usually have one already cut from their template. But I recommend a short call to verify before you make a trip.
(847-1511 ask for Claudio)

I'll add a picture here later when I get my new plate.
Not sure if you talked about this somewhere else in this thread, but wondering if the acrylic touches the paint, or if you used rubber washers or something to elevate it off the paint? I’m afraid that dirt and grit will get between the acrylic and the paint, and scratch an impression of the holder.

I stopped by Min’s today and looked at their sample. The gentleman working there asked, “you own a Tesla?” and when I replied ‘yes,’ the lady across from him asked him, “how did you know that?” :p

Anyway, they didn’t have any in stock, so I left my info with him and told him I’d call and let him know if I wanted to order. Just wanted to make sure that the acrylic doesn’t rub up against the paint before I do.

Thanks!

Reactions: Akikiki
They used to keep a half dozen made up. We even went through a version 1 to version 2 change when the statute changed the vertical to horizontal mounting. I've had this plastic plate on mine now for 7 years. I've removed it a couple of times to clean behind the tag. I think the plastic plate sets closer to the body than the metal tag does and reduces the dust back there. We use all four holes to secure the plastic and tag to the car, so don't scratch it mounting it, you don't need to worry about a scratch later. The two hole metal mount can come loose and scratch the body moving up and down. Nothin' purrfect :)

Reactions: fseir
I'm guessing it's similar to the one seen in the video of the Model Y. It's for the license plate itself.

Now I'm wondering how it'll work with a safety sticker bracket. Could the bracket go between the plate and the plastic holder?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 10.03.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 10.03.22 PM.png
    680.5 KB · Views: 114
I guess. But that's not what we have encouraging people to use. Go to Min Plastic just off Dillingham and ask for the safety sticker plate.
Thin, clear plate like that, but has a tab out the side where the sticker is mounted. About $20.