Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Service Center experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to drive the gray P85+ as a loaner. There were a couple of cool things, like the parking sensor and folding mirrors. But I didn't like the ride on the 21" wheels. And it seemed to be hotter inside the car compared to mine. I didn't notice a big difference in the stereo system, compared to my stock one. No buyer's remorse from me. I did like the fact that it had 100 miles more than mine, though.

There is nothing the Honolulu team won't do to make owning a Tesla outer island a wonderful experience! I cannot begin to tell you folks all the big and little things they have done for us on the Big Island. They've worked on my "wife's car" in a gravel parking lot at Kona Airport (her place of work) in the searing heat with no shade. They recently did the annual service at our house in our garage which is none too cool when the afternoon sun shines in at near sea level without any breeze. Next week they are picking the car up at our house, possibly dropping off a Tesla loaner, if not a Tesla then a rental car, taking our car 45 miles to Kawaihae Harbor, shipping it to Honolulu to do warranty work that was found needing to be done at the annual service and then bringing the car back to our house when it is done!

Last edited:
There is nothing the Honolulu team won't do to make owning a Tesla outer island a wonderful experience! I cannot begin to tell you folks all the big and little things they have done for us on the Big Island. They've worked on my "wife's car" in a gravel parking lot at Kona Airport (her place of work) in the searing heat with no shade. They recently did the annual service at our house in our garage which is none too cool when the afternoon sun shines in at near sea level without any breeze. Next week they are picking the car up at our house, possibly dropping off a Tesla loaner, if not a Tesla then a rental car, taking our car 45 miles to Kawaihae Harbor, shipping it to Honolulu to do warranty work that was found needing to be done at the annual service and then bringing the car back to our house when it is done!

Jeff, Thanks for reminding us. You are so right. There’s nothing that the Honolulu SC team will not do to keep our cars in excellent condition. I do not intend for this to sound like I taking anything away from their quality of service, but what you described is in fact their average – their baseline – their standard for service.

It’s like - what would be the worst possible Tesla service day would be many times better than the best service with any other manufacturer’s vehicle.

Each member of the Tesla Honolulu team excels in their attention to detail, genuine interest in how they represent Tesla and the quality of service they provide. I think they should get new shirts that say Tesla Super Heroes.

Agreed 1000%. Visited the SC last week to have them listen to the conductor whine on my car, since it was louder than I recall before. One of the techs took time away from their daily meeting to go for a ride with me. Everything normal!

My ONLY complaint (and it's a stretch really) is the SC is far outside my normal route so it's a special trip to go there. But that's ok, cause I love getting the chance to stretch my MS' legs a bit on the freeway and take advantage of our HOV/Zipper lane benefits!

I haven't dealt with the SC yet, but Susan from sales gets no "kudos" from me. She basically blew me off when I tried to buy one of the inventory vehicles. To this date, she has not returned one single email or phone call I left her. I was able to speak to her once and she wouldn't even give me the info on the cars in shop. I had to get it from a rep in CA. Once I get the spec sheet on a vehicle she had on hand that was eligible for sale (blue P85), she blew me off and never responded to my offer to buy.

Nothing positive to say about sales. I hope service is a better experience.

Last edited:
Once again, I just can't say enough good things about how well Tesla's employees treat us here on Hawaii Island. Erik dropped off the P85+ loaner at our house this morning and is now driving our car to Kawaihae Harbor some 45 miles away to be shipped to Honolulu for warranty work. While they have our car they will be giving it the "Full Monty". These folks are a textbook example of the business philosophy of under promise and over deliver!

Ditto on the continued great SC experience. I had my driver seat cushion "softened"* a few weeks ago and the staff was exceptional in every way. I even got a free lesson on car detailing while I waited.

*They remove a portion of the supporting springs which ever so slightly softens the seat. It is a very subtle change which many people might not notice. Yet it seems as if I now sit about a centimeter lower than before--feels more like I'm sitting in the seat than on the seat, something I missed previously compared to prior cars I've owned. This is an irreversible modification but it is free to all cars below a certain VIN (don't know which) and only on the driver's side.

Had a chance to deal with the service guys; they ARE pretty awesome. When my vehicle arrived from the mainland, via Matson, Matson destroyed my only programmed key fob. The SC guys drove out and changed out a part needed to add a new fob, then programmed it on the spot. All with about 30 minutes heads up and close to closing time. Today, they picked up my car from town to take it back to the center to swap out tires and perform some minor repairs. nBringing it back this afternoon. The guys are great!

Had a chance to deal with the service guys; they ARE pretty awesome. When my vehicle arrived from the mainland, via Matson, Matson destroyed my only programmed key fob. The SC guys drove out and changed out a part needed to add a new fob, then programmed it on the spot. All with about 30 minutes heads up and close to closing time. Today, they picked up my car from town to take it back to the center to swap out tires and perform some minor repairs. nBringing it back this afternoon. The guys are great!

Wow !. The SC Staff continue to impress me with their efforts to keep Tesla owners happy. I really admire the SC folks and appreciate how responsive they are to our requests. The really shocking part of your story is, 'that's their normal'. Nobody comes close to matching their service.

I had another wonderful experience at the SC on Tuesday. I was out in Kapolei and noticed that my windshield wipers stopped working. I was able to drive over to the SC and they found out that it was the wiper motor that needed to be replaced. They now have air conditioning in the waiting area so I was able to sit back and relax while they worked on my MS. They even washed the car for me (a good thing because we have been going through some renovations so there has been a lot of dust).

Took my car in for a safety check yesterday and a couple other minor things. As I was about to get on the freeway, an alert came on that the car needed service. So I went back to the SC. Turns out my cooling pump needs to replaced. It was already almost 6:30 but they still offered to do the repair which would take a couple hours. Any other dealership service center wouldn't stay late and would've said they would fix it the next day! I told them fixing it the morning was fine and got back into the roadster loaner and drove home. I've got friends visiting so it's a treat driving the roadster around :)

Took my car in for a safety check yesterday and a couple other minor things. As I was about to get on the freeway, an alert came on that the car needed service. So I went back to the SC. Turns out my cooling pump needs to replaced. It was already almost 6:30 but they still offered to do the repair which would take a couple hours. Any other dealership service center wouldn't stay late and would've said they would fix it the next day! I told them fixing it the morning was fine and got back into the roadster loaner and drove home. I've got friends visiting so it's a treat driving the roadster around :)

Awww, I'm jealous. I wanna drive the roadster around!

do you think you will have the roadster back by Wednesday morning when they pick my car up to have the center console replaced?

the SC picked up my MS on Wednesday, from my workplace, to replace the center console and install the acoustic blanket on the AC compressor.
it wasn't done by the time I got off work so I drove the loaner home. they dropped my car off later that night.
No more bubbles in my center console and my AC compressor is slightly less embarrassing.
I will have to drive the car some more with the acoustic blanket before I make my final judgment. I can still hear the compressor...
I'm just trying to decide if it is quieter or not. it seems that the bracket holding the acoustic blanket is transferring more vibration to the body of the car, that I can feel in the center arm rest. mmmmmm. (that's a thinking mmm not a vibration mmmmm)

Just a note about the loaner. I had the Blue P85. driving on the new smooth pavement on H1 I could feel an irregular high frequency vibration in the steering wheel. I reported it to the SC and they said that they would investigate. New pavement so I discounted the road itself. It was high frequency so I discounted pavement markings. It was intermittent and no regular pattern so I discounted tires. thinking about it since then I am leaning to it possibly being an alignment issue(?)

I guess with the storm looming they forgot to top me off. as soon as I got the car back I took it to the charger for 5 hours to get a full charge ahead of the storm(s). at least they washed it before the rain started.

Last edited:
Well this sucks! Tesla Palo Alto just informed me they have pushed back the delivery of my S from Aug 26 to sometime mid September! That will teach me to pay them money before the thing lands on the docks!

Awww man that sucks! Teslanxiety is brutal enough without adding more wait time. Did they give you a reason? I bet it has something to do with them shutting down the factory for 3 weeks for re-tooling to increase production and the ramp up time is not as smooth as anticipated.

Awww man that sucks! Teslanxiety is brutal enough without adding more wait time. Did they give you a reason? I bet it has something to do with them shutting down the factory for 3 weeks for re-tooling to increase production and the ramp up time is not as smooth as anticipated.
I'd give Tesla some credit for the retooling of the line had I not ordered the car during April - 6 months ago!!