Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Service Center experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called to reschedule my service appointment. I know I can do it online but wanted some human interaction ;) It took a little over 10 minutes of holding time before I spoke to someone I didn't know and another 2 to 3 minutes between holding again, giving all my info, and finally rescheduling my appt. So total of about 13 minutes vs less than a minute if I changed it on-line. I really MISS those days when you could just call the SC, they would pick up right away, and you knew the SC adviser and they knew you. It used to be so personal before :(

Reactions: Akikiki and gmtom1
I called to reschedule my service appointment. I know I can do it online but wanted some human interaction ;) It took a little over 10 minutes of holding time before I spoke to someone I didn't know and another 2 to 3 minutes between holding again, giving all my info, and finally rescheduling my appt. So total of about 13 minutes vs less than a minute if I changed it on-line. I really MISS those days when you could just call the SC, they would pick up right away, and you knew the SC adviser and they knew you. It used to be so personal before :(
and you could get same day service at 4PM.

I attempted a service appointment today to fix some delivery issues with my 3D (autopilot still doesn't work, passenger side mirror tilt-down is weird, still waiting on my sport wheels instead of the aeros, etc.).

I remember before when you could actually park in the parking lot and maybe if you were lucky, one of the HPWC stalls in the front were open. Now there's so many 3s stacked door-to-door bumper to bumper waiting for delivery, there was literally no space in the lot up to the gate/fence line and cars were stacked 2-3 deep along the side too. :eek::confused:

Since none of my problems were significant, I figured (since I had an appointment and they knew what the issues were) that they would plan the workload so my vehicle could be worked on and perhaps returned today. The SA said they don't have time to work on it today and it probably won't be ready until Thursday. :confused::eek: He offered to take my car in and set me up with an Enterprise loaner, but I declined. I don't see the point in leaving my car to sit down there while I drive a rental for 4 days for an admittedly minor problem that doesn't affect the operation or safety of the vehicle. Got another appointment scheduled for next Tuesday and the SA (Brian) assured me that it would get looked at then and they would "try" to have a service loaner available for me.

I too miss the days when I could just call up Jimmy for a service appointment. :( It was nice when here were only a couple hundred of us out there. :cool:

Maybe they should re-open the Waipahu service center as a delivery prep annex instead of handling all deliveries and service at Kakaako. The drive back into town would be a nice way to get to know your new Tesla. :cool:

Reactions: neroden and fseir
I attempted a service appointment today to fix some delivery issues with my 3D (autopilot still doesn't work, passenger side mirror tilt-down is weird, still waiting on my sport wheels instead of the aeros, etc.).

I remember before when you could actually park in the parking lot and maybe if you were lucky, one of the HPWC stalls in the front were open. Now there's so many 3s stacked door-to-door bumper to bumper waiting for delivery, there was literally no space in the lot up to the gate/fence line and cars were stacked 2-3 deep along the side too. :eek::confused:

Since none of my problems were significant, I figured (since I had an appointment and they knew what the issues were) that they would plan the workload so my vehicle could be worked on and perhaps returned today. The SA said they don't have time to work on it today and it probably won't be ready until Thursday. :confused::eek: He offered to take my car in and set me up with an Enterprise loaner, but I declined. I don't see the point in leaving my car to sit down there while I drive a rental for 4 days for an admittedly minor problem that doesn't affect the operation or safety of the vehicle. Got another appointment scheduled for next Tuesday and the SA (Brian) assured me that it would get looked at then and they would "try" to have a service loaner available for me.

I too miss the days when I could just call up Jimmy for a service appointment. :( It was nice when here were only a couple hundred of us out there. :cool:

Maybe they should re-open the Waipahu service center as a delivery prep annex instead of handling all deliveries and service at Kakaako. The drive back into town would be a nice way to get to know your new Tesla. :cool:

I dropped my car off on 8/29 and they didn't work on it until the following Tuesday and I got it back the next day . Luckily, I had a Model S loaner. I would not be happy having to drive around an enterprise rental for a week. I did complain though via email that while service was great, really wish I would've know ahead of time how backlogged they were from the hurricane. I would've just rescheduled my annual maintenance.

I am worried that service will only get worse with the amount model 3s coming. I've heard not so good things about service centers in other parts of the country and I hope our SC doesn't become like them.

I came back from Kona on Sunday and found that one tire was flat. I was able to inflate it to get home but it went flat. I had called Tesla service but was told that I don't have roadside assistance. They were going to have a tow truck to take my car to the service center. Fortunately, I was able to contact our service center. They came out with a spare tire to take my tire back to the service center for repair. They were able to deliver the tire back to me without having to tow the vehicle. simple patch. Great service.

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki and nanimac
I came back from Kona on Sunday and found that one tire was flat. I was able to inflate it to get home but it went flat. I had called Tesla service but was told that I don't have roadside assistance. They were going to have a tow truck to take my car to the service center. Fortunately, I was able to contact our service center. They came out with a spare tire to take my tire back to the service center for repair. They were able to deliver the tire back to me without having to tow the vehicle. simple patch. Great service.

I thought we all had roadside Tesla service. Is it because you didn’t buy the extended warranty?

For general knowledge, if you purchased the additional 4 year "Anywhere plan" (no longer available, includes Ranger service) - I confirmed with Tesla that Roadside Assistance is included with this plan. I checked before committing to a AAA policy for roadside emergencies.
Most people at Tesla don't know this, however, and you will get people trying to deny you Roadside Assistance. Happened to me. :-(

Tesla employees are poorly trained.

My screen has the same problem. I reported it to them the first time about 8 months ago, and they said that they didn't have any screens and would advise me when more come in so they could replace. I didn't get a call back and it is just a minor cosmetic nuisance rather than a functional problem so I didn't follow up right away. I called for a separate problem relating to my "Tire pressure system needs maintenance" message popping up sometime in November and reminded them about the screen problem. They didn't seem to have anything in their reports about it and apologized, saying they will check on availability again and get back to me for a service appointment on the same day. Got no call back. Mid-December I started to hear whirring sounds coming out from behind the dash/center console and called service again. They said it's likely the cooling fans for the touch screen, and that it requires replacing the entire module as the fans don't come off separately. I've also been advised that I am now out of warranty as I'm sitting at 58k miles. I'm a bit worried because after looking on these forums I've seen that replacement of the center screen and accompanying hardware behind it runs $4100 and with labor comes out to $5k. I don't know if I was under 50k miles when I called the first time, but this could be a very expensive mistake on my part for not following up with them sooner. I'll update with the results after I take my car to service on the 10th of January. Wish me luck!
Ugh. Always get a record of when you reported the problem the first time.

I see this was back in 2017. Did you get the screen replaced under warranty?

Ugh. Always get a record of when you reported the problem the first time.

I see this was back in 2017. Did you get the screen replaced under warranty?

Unfortunately, not under warranty, though the cost wasn't as high as anticipated. Came out to $2300 after labor was included. It didn't fix the fan noise, as that is behind the instrument cluster and not the main center screen, but that sound has either gotten quieter, or I've gotten really used to it. I'm starting to see that even though electric cars have less things that go wrong than a typical ICE car, they have different problems, that cannot be remedied as simply. The BMW repair bill quotes have actually been A LOT higher overall though when out of warranty.

Reactions: nanimac and Akikiki
Got my 3D back from the SC today (dropped it off on Tuesday) to fix 1) EAP that never calibrated/activated after delivery on the 30th & 500+ miles, 2) Due bill for 19" wheels (had the aero wheels on delivery); 3) due bill for a scratch on the back side of the passenger seat and a few other miscellaneous items.

They're still overflowing with vehicles and they even took over the space that was directly across the alley from them. Overall, I was happy, but definitely a step down from the stellar service that we used to get before there were 1k+ Teslas here. Also, I got an X 100D service loaner to use, but it was disgustingly filthy on the inside when they gave it to me. :oops: When I turned it back in today, they immediately took the CA manufacturer plates off of it and the tech told me it had been sold. o_O Hope the buyer got a good price. :)

Reactions: nanimac
Got my 3D back from the SC today (dropped it off on Tuesday) to fix 1) EAP that never calibrated/activated after delivery on the 30th & 500+ miles, 2) Due bill for 19" wheels (had the aero wheels on delivery); 3) due bill for a scratch on the back side of the passenger seat and a few other miscellaneous items.

They're still overflowing with vehicles and they even took over the space that was directly across the alley from them. Overall, I was happy, but definitely a step down from the stellar service that we used to get before there were 1k+ Teslas here. Also, I got an X 100D service loaner to use, but it was disgustingly filthy on the inside when they gave it to me. :oops: When I turned it back in today, they immediately took the CA manufacturer plates off of it and the tech told me it had been sold. o_O Hope the buyer got a good price. :)

I wonder if they're hiring temp employees for deliveries like on the mainland? I'd apply ;)

I’ll be discussing with local Tesla staff about an organized way for a Tesla Hawai’i Club members to volunteer vs just showing up for this final week push of deliveries. Details coming in next couple days but basically job would be for post orientation/paperwork questions on the car, charging, etc.

I’ll be discussing with local Tesla staff about an organized way for a Tesla Hawai’i Club members to volunteer vs just showing up for this final week push of deliveries. Details coming in next couple days but basically job would be for post orientation/paperwork questions on the car, charging, etc.

Chatted with our local staff and while they are very appreciative of our willingness to help and think it's a great idea, it's a regional delivery manager decision and unfortunately it may be soon to mobilize us and their staff for this weekend. Told them to keep us in mind for year-end deliveries and i'll follow up with them at least a couple weeks before then.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki