Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compare to last year, I see so many more Teslas on my annual vacation to Oahu this time (2024). I understand that superchargers are especially useful for long road trips, and on a small tropical island you can always make the round trip home before needing to charge. But level 1 charging is really slow, and not everyone has/can install level 2 charger at home. So My question is do all the Tesla I see on Oahu's streets have level 2 at home? Or does everyone has really short commutes? Am I missing something because I would not consider having an EV without home charging or convenient SC?

Compare to last year, I see so many more Teslas on my annual vacation to Oahu this time (2024). I understand that superchargers are especially useful for long road trips, and on a small tropical island you can always make the round trip home before needing to charge. But level 1 charging is really slow, and not everyone has/can install level 2 charger at home. So My question is do all the Tesla I see on Oahu's streets have level 2 at home? Or does everyone has really short commutes? Am I missing something because I would not consider having an EV without home charging or convenient SC?
For people living in older condos in town I have to imagine the situation sucks. I have a house with an L2 charger so generally no issues... however, I did get run-flats as replacement tires and the extra energy consumption on my 2020 Y makes my ~80 mile round trip to town consume about 130 miles of range. (Before it was about 100-110 miles.) With an effective maximum range now of ~295 miles, and a 50-mile reserve for getting home, the car starts to be a bit of a challenge without reliable public charging options on the island.

More supercharger stalls on the south side, and at least a supercharger at Turtle Bay are pretty important IMO.

Reactions: nanimac and Akikiki