Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think the Superchargers should start at a more central location on the island. Or does that not make sense at all?
That does make sense. Having a charger in Pearl City (or maybe Halawa) area seems like it would cover a lot of highways in a very accessible location. If Tesla were even to build only one charger, either location would probably work well.

Normally, I'd think that Tesla looks at their location/driving data and makes a carefully-informed decision when choosing potential supercharger locations on the map, but the map may be woefully out of date now. ;) If only they hadn't waited so long...

That said, having a charger in Honolulu makes a lot of sense, especially given the population density and number of people who may live in apartments and not have the ability to install charging.

Also, a charger in Kailua/Kaneohe seems like it would give good coverage east of the Ko'olaus.

Ultimately, it might even make sense to have one in Kapolei, given the number of new homes in the area and the coverage it would it offer on the western side.

Just my theories...

Last edited:
Good theories. I agree (if my opinion matters). An important factor here, is to add to the list, is property owner's willingness to give up the space. On the opening of the IMP store, I was with club reps and we discussed Superchargers with a visiting Tesla regional mgr. He told us Tesla wanted to install more than one Supercharger location, however the challenge was property owner permission for any practical location. And that was (I think) two years ago. Nothing has changed that would open the gate for them. Anyone here reading this own or control the land that would allow Tesla to build a Supercharger for our use?

There's a few of us that have been lobbying (and will continue to lobby) Tesla for Superchargers in Hawaii, not just Oahu since 2013 when Tesla announced Superchargers. Funny thing is, most of that "few of us", don't need them, won't need to use them, because we can charge at home. But we support those that do need/will use them. I think its odd that we very seldom directly or indirectly hear from those folks that do need them. We have encouraged folks to write the Supercharger Team but we don't see or hear often that anyone does.

Last edited:
After 8 years of empty Supercharger promises, not permit for one even filed on Hawaii (REAL HAWAII big Island)
So... I sold the 3. I'm tired of dreaming for something that's not coming, ever.

You sold your M3 because there were no Superchargers! Not that's sad!!!
When we purchased our M3, Supercharging never entered our minds for us here on Oahu. What we planned for was a EV and a way to save on gas.

Reactions: MarcoRP
After 8 years of empty Supercharger promises, not permit for one even filed on Hawaii (REAL HAWAII big Island)
So... I sold the 3. I'm tired of dreaming for something that's not coming, ever.

Aren't there any other electrical outlets on the island at all?

We don't have any superchargers in our island state of Tasmania, that hasn't stopped dozens of Teslas being bought here (half of them being Model 3s in the last 2-3 weeks).

I think it likely that the Superchargers installed in Hawaii (and there will be superchargers, it's just a matter of time) are going to be the solar-canopy, battery-backed up style - which would contribute to the delay. This would reduce the cost to Tesla long-term. Besides, the majority of Tesla' vehicles shipped today charge for supercharging.

Reactions: TerranApart
I think it likely that the Superchargers installed in Hawaii (and there will be superchargers, it's just a matter of time) are going to be the solar-canopy, battery-backed up style - which would contribute to the delay. This would reduce the cost to Tesla long-term. Besides, the majority of Tesla' vehicles shipped today charge for supercharging.

Let's assume the average Tesla will supercharge 50kwh. Assuming at a busy 8 stall station you get 100+ cars in a 24 hr period. You're looking at 5000 kwh needed to be produced in one day. My loaded large roof of my 4 bedroom home produces 75 kwh per day max in the summer. Powerwalls hold 13.5 kwh. Powerpacks hold 210 kwh. Even with cutting edge high efficiency panels, these numbers just won't add up logistically. I can see MAYBE, mildly supplementing power at a supercharger station as a PR stunt. That's about it.

If Tesla isn't going to build out the supercharger Network on the islands, they should at least offer the Chademo adapter at cost rather than the regular $500 price so we can utilize the existing fast charge network.
If Tesla isn't... Why would you say that? That's akin to saying, if Tesla isn't going to build a smaller EV than the S? Oh wait, that's the 3. If Tesla isn't going to build a pickup truck. Oh wait, - yeah waiting is what we are doing, but also waiting for superchargers.

Let's assume the average Tesla will supercharge 50kwh. Assuming at a busy 8 stall station you get 100+ cars in a 24 hr period. You're looking at 5000 kwh needed to be produced in one day. My loaded large roof of my 4 bedroom home produces 75 kwh per day max in the summer. Powerwalls hold 13.5 kwh. Powerpacks hold 210 kwh. Even with cutting edge high efficiency panels, these numbers just won't add up logistically. I can see MAYBE, mildly supplementing power at a supercharger station as a PR stunt. That's about it.

I was primarily speculating on one of the reasons why the construction of Hawaii Superchargers have been delayed, in addition to permitting/location issues and the switch to V3 technology. However, on the mainland, the solar canopy/battery backup combination helps with peak power demand charges that can be ridiculously expensive to Tesla. I haven't done the research to know if that would be an issue here.

Aloha Jeremy and Amy here from WeedriveTesla. We are looking to help get the superchargers and more destination chargers on the island of Oahu and eventually on the other islands.

With the growing number of Tesla’s especially Model 3’s and the soon to be very popular Model Y, Tesla will have to get supercharger’s installed on the islands or it could potentially impact their sales here and we think they realize that.

Most of the population on Oahu lives in a condo or does not have the upgraded electrical system’s in their homes to charge a Tesla properly. Upgrading an electrical panel can cost upwards to 10k (We know from experience), this is why a supercharger on the islands is very important for Tesla’s continued growth here. HECO’s fast charging system is okay, but not sufficient and requires a CHaDeMo.

We are actively looking for locations (business/property owners) on the island willing to help. One big hurdle right now is educating business owners of the benefits of having them installed on their property.

Right now only a select few Hotels have destination chargers on Oahu and you can only use them if you are staying at the hotel or paying the Outrageous parking fee. Additionally, several of the regular public chargers are abused and not taken care of, making it difficult or unpredictable to find a good charging spot.

In the end we will get superchargers soon! We are going to continue to push for them, as well as getting other businesses/property owners on board for destination chargers!

Mahalo,

Jeremy and Amy
WDT

I had a little spare time this weekend, so I wrote a program to scan the Honolulu permit database and archive a summary of the permit data for year 2019 for off-line searching.

After taking a quick look through the collected permit data, I found a vague possibility (which went inactive, so it's a dead-end):
Honolulu Internet Permit System - Internet BP Application - 2019/IBP00720
Not sure which address is associated with the permit, though.

I'll search in a little more detail soon.

Also, since I can tune the program to scan permits from a specific range of days, I'll monitor the new permits weekly and report back if anything interesting turns up.

If anyone thinks it would be worthwhile to search 2018 as well, let me know and I'll load up that data.

I had a little spare time this weekend, so I wrote a program to scan the Honolulu permit database and archive a summary of the permit data for year 2019 for off-line searching.

After taking a quick look through the collected permit data, I found a vague possibility (which went inactive, so it's a dead-end):
Honolulu Internet Permit System - Internet BP Application - 2019/IBP00720
Not sure which address is associated with the permit, though.

I'll search in a little more detail soon.

Also, since I can tune the program to scan permits from a specific range of days, I'll monitor the new permits weekly and report back if anything interesting turns up.

If anyone thinks it would be worthwhile to search 2018 as well, let me know and I'll load up that data.

The permit description has a partial property tax map key (TMK) number which points to Hawaiki Tower. The permit was probably for a planned Tesla destination charger of some sort.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and mociaf9