Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Chargerfan, but I don't understand your question "what's the chances of getting CCS chargers"? I've not heard of Tesla providing CCS charger, (which is primarily the CCS end on a DC fast charger station). So who were you thinking of installing CCS chargers?

We are more interested in Superchargers for Hawaii and DC charging. And for a number of reasons. The Number 1 reason being its exclusively Tesla and Tesla owners will not be competing with non-Tesla owners to charge. At the same time, this lessens approximately the same number of Teslas that will not be trying to charge at non-Tesla chargers and more often/more likely leave those to non-Tesla cars.

Second, we've been tracking/counting with some details, the number of Teslas in Hawaii and on Oahu since 2013. The current count on Oahu is more than 1600 Teslas that can charge at Tesla Superchargers. Between 2013 and 2018, when Supercharging unlimited and free, there were about 800 here. That's 800+ that could "fill up" for free, and we believe via our commitment to Tesla over the years, we have earned more than one Supercharger on Oahu. Many of those first 800 and the second 800+ can't charge at home. So they are routinely/frequently in the wild looking for places to charge. Which brings me back to Number 1 reason.

(DC fast charging needs an adapter to connect to a Tesla be it, CHAdeMO adapter @ $450, or CCS adapter (that does not exist). And HECO's rate for DC fast charging is not economical - not as economical now as it was when first installed 3-4 years ago.)

Tesla has defined a new charging category called Commercial Charging. Its simply a Gen 3 Wall Connector. Gen 3 WC is WiFi enabled. So, their new "feature" is going to setup a method so a commercial entity, such as a business or apartment management or condo association can document, record and charge Tesla owners for electricity/service. Its coming, but we've not heard any one using it here yet. So, if someone's building or business was wanting to offer service but didn't want to provide free electricity, this would make a difference.

Now, I ask anyone reading. If you are a Tesla owner that needs a Supercharger to charge; as in it would make your charging life much easier to manage, what have you done, what have you done lately to remind Tesla of your needs? Have you written an email, even better a letter to the Supercharger Team requesting an SC. Remember the old saying, - Squeaky wheel - gets the Supercharger? Speak up. Take 5 minutes and let Tesla know. No one asks or complains, I guess things are fine, eh?

Reactions: Polly Wog
I don’t want to sound like a dick or anything, but is there a reason why you would actually need Superchargers in Hawaii (other than Big Island perhaps), like are there any trips on Oahu that would require Supercharging to reach your destination?

I don’t want to sound like a dick or anything, but is there a reason why you would actually need Superchargers in Hawaii (other than Big Island perhaps), like are there any trips on Oahu that would require Supercharging to reach your destination?

It's not for long trips, but also for people who can't have charging at home, or people who are renting a Tesla and need somewhere to go. Tesla super chargers are the easiest option, even if they're not free for the majority any longer.

You don't sound like a dick or anything. But I am curious why after your first seven posts in this Hawaii thread - what hmm, 7,000+ miles from us or so, you would wonder why when you seemed as if you understood the answer to your own question and supportive for us. I think you already know the answer.

The answer is the same as it is for cities in China and particularly Hong Kong where Elon first said, Tesla will install Superchargers for people to use that live in apartment and condo buildings that can't install EV charging infrastructure.

You don't sound like a dick or anything. But I am curious why after your first seven posts in this Hawaii thread - what hmm, 7,000+ miles from us or so, you would wonder why when you seemed as if you understood the answer to your own question and supportive for us. I think you already know the answer.

The answer is the same as it is for cities in China and particularly Hong Kong where Elon first said, Tesla will install Superchargers for people to use that live in apartment and condo buildings that can't install EV charging infrastructure.
Sure, I get that Urban Supercharging would be an advantage for some condo-dwellers, but wouldn't third party or Level 2 stations at home or nearby suffice?

No. If they would, we would not be seeking Superchargers. He can put Superchargers in third world countries, but not in the last two states in the good ole USofA?

Shucks, I predict the moon base will have a Supercharger before we do.

Thanks for reading into my poorly constructed comment! I was really referring to CCS charging as Tesla has adapted in Europe in addition to the standard Tesla charging port.

Yes, the DC charging stations we have here all require a CHAdeMO adapter, and as you state, it's not economical nor as fast charging as even the 1st Gen Tesla superchargers. Aren't the latest version of ElectrifyAmerica DC fast chargers able to deliver > 100kW ? Would love to have our state upgrade to those, though unlikely in the near term.

Anyway, yes, would love to have HI receive well deserved superchargers, selfishly as I am one of the 800 or so free supercharging owners of an MX. I'm fortunate to have a L2 charger at home and can rely on a "full tank" every morning. I've written letters of EV support to our state reps encouraging them to increase incentives for installation of more L2 chargers at community lots, ease bldg restrictions to allow for economical new build electrical infrastructure, but so far only the opposite outcomes- eliminated free parking at airport and meters, and imposed $50 annual EV surcharge to our registration fees!

Aloha, I don't know if EA's are capable of going higher than 100kW, but there's so few non-Teslas that could take advantage of them, I doubt they can do it today. That's my best shot at answer that for ya.

I reached out to EA a while back. I reminded them we coule use them here. And they wanted to know what business I represented. Because they don't take request except from businesses/corporations. They want EVSE installation space at the companies site.
So, who and where here?

And to your third paragraph above ---- yep. Me too. I don't think you are selfish wanting SCs. You and I and many others would not use them even free - because we can at home.

I'm getting tired of explaining to the people who don't live in Hawaii (so don't know the issues here) why we need them. :rolleyes: The Supercharger team is fully aware of the issues here so that's all that really matters.

And blunt as it going to seem on the surface, those people who don't live in Hawaii that don't think we need the Superchargers, - don't have any say in Supercharger approvals. They don't count anyway.

Thank you Akikiki for your post. I can’t believe there are no Superchargers on O’ahu. I live in an apt building here and I cannot install a L2 charger. I am left to compete with Leafs, Prius Prime, Porsche’s, Kias and other EVs at the Volta charging stations at Ala Moana Center (2 hr max). I have gone into the different Tesla stores to complain but they seem very removed from the decision-making. I’m surprised because I bet it would make their job of selling the cars easier. And Tesla would recoup their investment from those Tesla owners who pay for Supercharging. Something else seems to be going on here...

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
@HGREY, Sales folks including managers are removed from the process. Make their jobs easier? Yes, it would, yes, they know. I am vague here for reasons not worthy of being public. But we've been working on Superchargers for years here. Do your part. Ask mainland folks via the Supercharger Team. The Tesla folks here don't need us lobbying them. They are onboard.

FYI I am in the process of getting the FSD chip upgrade today and so I asked the Tesla mobile service rep what was up with the SuperChargers. He said that HECO has been the bottleneck. Interesting...but wouldn’t HECO make money from Tesla on the charging? Or do they want to own the entire fast charging market and see keeping Tesla out as part of that strategy??

FYI I am in the process of getting the FSD chip upgrade today and so I asked the Tesla mobile service rep what was up with the SuperChargers. He said that HECO has been the bottleneck. Interesting...but wouldn’t HECO make money from Tesla on the charging? Or do they want to own the entire fast charging market and see keeping Tesla out as part of that strategy??

With the rates that HECO is charging for their stations, it wouldn't surprise me. Heck, nothing HECO does surprises me anymore.