Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Superchargers

OldSenileGuy

Apr 24, 2014
NY
I'm staying in Oahu for a week in September, and thinking of renting a Tesla while I'm there. But with no Superchargers on the island, I'm a little wary of spending my whole vacation with range anxiety. Can anyone comment on the number of quick charging stations on the island, and whether or not they're reliable or if they're broken half the time?

I've already checked with my hotel and they don't offer EV charging. But if anyone's familiar with the area, I'm staying in Laie, HI. PlugShare tells me there is charging stations in the parking lot of the Polynesian Cultural Center, but there's a note that they are enforcing a "PCC visitors only" policy for them. Does anyone know if I'd be able to use these chargers at night, or while visiting the nearby shopping center but not necessarily the PCC?

If I could start every day with a 75% charge I think I'd be fine, but I don't want to have to drive a half hour out of my way every night to top off.

gmtom1

Apr 25, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I'm staying in Oahu for a week in September, and thinking of renting a Tesla while I'm there. But with no Superchargers on the island, I'm a little wary of spending my whole vacation with range anxiety. Can anyone comment on the number of quick charging stations on the island, and whether or not they're reliable or if they're broken half the time?

I've already checked with my hotel and they don't offer EV charging. But if anyone's familiar with the area, I'm staying in Laie, HI. PlugShare tells me there is charging stations in the parking lot of the Polynesian Cultural Center, but there's a note that they are enforcing a "PCC visitors only" policy for them. Does anyone know if I'd be able to use these chargers at night, or while visiting the nearby shopping center but not necessarily the PCC?

If I could start every day with a 75% charge I think I'd be fine, but I don't want to have to drive a half hour out of my way every night to top off.
Are you staying in a hotel or an Air BNB? If it's an AirBNB, check with the renter if you have access to a garage and permission to use a plug in the garage (assuming there's one available). At standard 110V charging, the Model 3/Y will charge 5 mi/hr. Assuming between evening and overnight sleeping, you should be able to put back in 40-50 miles/day.

Otherwise, if you're at the Marriott, it looks like the Laie Shopping center is your nearest choice, but it's $2.20/hour on chargepoint according to Plugshare. In general, the paid chargers on island are usually more reliable, since most people here don't use the paid chargers as much.

There are many more charging options available in town (including Tesla wall chargers) available in some locations.

Good luck & safe travels!

Reactions: nanimac

Ames808

Apr 6, 2021
Oahu
Aloha

Aloha- what hotel are you staying at?

OldSenileGuy

Apr 24, 2014
NY
I'm staying at an AirBnB in Laie. I'll have to get in touch with them to see if there's an outlet I can use, but I would assume there is not.

TerranApart

Apr 19, 2018
USA
Well, there's a permit application for an "Electrical Charging Station Installation at Ala Moana Shopping Center".

I'm watching the application and scanning the permit database daily now, so if it turns out to be Tesla, I'll start a new topic.
Cautious optimism...
Bad news: it's not Tesla.
Good news: it looks like a $195k expansion of Volta chargers at Ala Moana: Honolulu Internet Permit System - Building Permit

TerranApart

Apr 19, 2018
USA

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC