Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone using Chademo and other DC charging from HECO, and how is it going? I have a friend who just took delivery of a Model Y. She lives in Kaimuki and unfortunately doesn't have charging at home. We REALLY need superchargers in Hawaii for such people. Hoping not too much longer.

Is anyone using Chademo and other DC charging from HECO, and how is it going? I have a friend who just took delivery of a Model Y. She lives in Kaimuki and unfortunately doesn't have charging at home. We REALLY need superchargers in Hawaii for such people. Hoping not too much longer.
The charging stations aren't bad. My LR M3 takes about 90 minutes to fully charge from about 20 miles

So far I know CHAdeMO adapters do not work on Model 3/Y. EU version definitely not and US version most likely not. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Better than nothing. Doesn't look like we're going to see the superchargers this year, typical tesla 🙄👎.
Nice to see volta installing DCFC at ala moana center. At least someone is expanding they're charging network. I can't wait to try them. Hopefully they charge a little faster than the 40 ish we get at the heco dcfc.

No new interesting charging-related permits lately, but I'm still scanning at least 3 times per week.

However, there are about 50+ permit entries this week for the Kapolei Energy Storage project.
"91-400 MALAKOLE ST // Kapolei Energy Storage 1, LLC - BESS (TESLA MEGAPACK 2XL)"
Good to see that project moving along.
does this mean that Kapolei will be getting a Tesla charger(s)?

Tesla updated their "coming soon" Supercharger map, and removed the Maui Supercharger pin in the process. Also, the second Oahu Supercharger is listed as Q4 2022. Disappointing, but not unexpected. 😞
I honestly don't understand why they opened a SC site on O‘ahu first. No island needs a supercharger except for Hawai‘i Island and even then, a Tesla can probably circle the island without charging as long as it was at 100% before departure. The Kona-Volcano-Hilo-Waimea-Kona loop is about 220 miles. But the first supercharger sites in the state should have gone up in Kailua-Kona and Hilo.

I honestly don't understand why they opened a SC site on O‘ahu first. No island needs a supercharger except for Hawai‘i Island and even then, a Tesla can probably circle the island without charging as long as it was at 100% before departure. The Kona-Volcano-Hilo-Waimea-Kona loop is about 220 miles. But the first supercharger sites in the state should have gone up in Kailua-Kona and Hilo.
It's not a distance thing here. There are many owners who live in condos who don't have access to home charging. There just isn't enough public charging here to support significant EV growth. Demand has proven to be strong here as the 6 superchargers are pretty full during the day. Plus, about 80%+ of the Teslas in the state are on Oahu so makes sense for Tesla to serve the most Tesla-dense island first.