Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Tesla and other EV Related Resources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 8/13/13 Advertiser's Kokua Line column had a lot of information regarding the 1 EV Charging Station per 100 stalls question. According to the state they did not insert into the law an enforcement clause. No office or agency is assigned to enforce the 1/100 part of the law, there's no penalty for not complying. And according to the column, the state legislature has nothing on their agenda to correct or change it.

Last edited:
The 8/13/13 Advertiser's Kokua Line column had a lot of information regarding the 1 EV Charging Station per 100 stalls question. According to the state they did not insert into the law an enforcement clause. Not only is assigned anyone to enforce the 1/100 part of the law, there's no penalty for not complying. And according to the column, the state legislature has nothing on their agenda to correct or change it.

Our government doing their finest work as usual so some politician can take credit for it without revealing the small print! Lol. Guess at least it got a lot of buildings/shopping centers to comply.

spleen, AH HA !!, there it is. I was wondering when that story would run. Last Thursday night, I went to the HawaiiNewsNow web and found where I could post an idea for a story. I told them about the Hawaii statute that requires 1 charging station for min 100 parking spaces. I added that Windward Mall, Windward Shopping Center, Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and Costco do not have the 1 charging stations. And we would like to see a story about this to focus some light on this. The next day, someone from HawaiiNewsNow emailed me and wanted call them for an interview. I didn't reply because I really preferred to not be interviewed or be on TV. I was wondering when this story would air. And figured that I had missed it. Thanks Spleen, nice to know I can go find some info on it.

HawiiNewsNow (I think) really did a great job of reporting the situation of "missing charging stations". I wrote them and thanked them for the story.

Like drtko147 said, its good to see our politicians displaying some interest in putting some teeth into the law. We also need to encourage them to give the police the power or responsibility to pose a penalty or fine on non-EVs when they part in a EV charging station.

Last edited:
spleen, AH HA !!, there it is. I was wondering when that story would run. Last Thursday night, I went to the HawaiiNewsNow web and found where I could post an idea for a story. I told them about the Hawaii statute that requires 1 charging station for min 100 parking spaces. I added that Windward Mall, Windward Shopping Center, Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and Costco do not have the 1 charging stations. And we would like to see a story about this to focus some light on this. The next day, someone from HawaiiNewsNow emailed me and wanted call them for an interview. I didn't reply because I really preferred to not be interviewed or be on TV. I was wondering when this story would air. And figured that I had missed it. Thanks Spleen, nice to know I can go find some info on it.

I wonder if most of us are really that dependent on business for an EV charge? Yes, its nice to know its there. Who among us doesn't have the range to get home without it? Even though we are not dependent, what can we do to effect the change to the statute that will energize those large businesses to honor the spirit of the law for all EV owners? Anyone with any ideas?

I saw the story on HawaiiNewsNow when it aired. I was not too surprised to hear how much non-compliance there is for this law. I believe their estimate is very low since they are only counting the commercial parking lots. When I read the law it seemed to me they were talking about ALL parking lots whether commercial or not. (Condos and apartment buildings) I guess I read it wrong when I thought they mentioned penalties, but never assigned a value.

Yes this is very sad, I'm glad others know this is going on. I think we should try reversing it around and make it a positive this for EV and Malls to support charging stations.. Like I will drive longer distance that has a EV charger to spend my money. I normally would not shop there cause of the longer drive, but because of the charger I shop there more often than I normally would. So win win for the EV owner and the Mall. ect. Ev owners have money to speed, there not buying gas LOL!!

Yes this is very sad, I'm glad others know this is going on. I think we should try reversing it around and make it a positive this for EV and Malls to support charging stations.. Like I will drive longer distance that has a EV charger to spend my money. I normally would not shop there cause of the longer drive, but because of the charger I shop there more often than I normally would. So win win for the EV owner and the Mall. ect. Ev owners have money to speed, there not buying gas LOL!!

That's how Volta works.

I am still having problems with my music off my USB drive not showing the artist, album name. I don't care about the album art. I tried rebooting my display but it still has the same problem. I checked the information on the files and the information is there. Mostly AAC format. Some MP3. But even the MP3 with the proper ID3 tag doesn't show. Any suggestions? I do see the information when I play music via bluetooth off my phone.

@drtko - How big is your USB drive and how many files? I had a 64GB FAT32 formatted drive with approximately 8000 mp3s with the same problem. The circle would keep spinning whenever I selected USB as the source. Rebooting never helped, and I suspect the drive was causing the main screen to reboot by itself too.

Luke at the SC mentioned the car has to index each file on the drive before you can use the drive, and this is a low priority process so it takes a while. What makes it worse is it has to restart each time if it doesn't finish before you switch off the car or if you remove the drive. Luke suggested a smaller drive with less files. I think that's poor programming/UI design that I'm hoping will be fixed in a future software update.

- - - Updated - - -

Sidebar - Has anyone tried using the EV chargers on the 3rd floor of the Sheraton Waikiki lot? I was pleasantly surprised to find there were 6 spaces there and only 2 were occupied by Leafs (Leafs always seem to take all the spaces everyplace I go!) The charger was a converted Better Place/Op Connect one. According to the EV Hawaii app, you need to get a fob from the front desk to start charging - too much hassle for me to go back and forth, but the front desk said I could park there even though I wasn't charging.

Has anyone heard anything about if OpConnect plans to convert the existing BetterPlace chargers to accept the OpConnect card I have?

I am still having problems with my music off my USB drive not showing the artist, album name. I don't care about the album art. I tried rebooting my display but it still has the same problem. I checked the information on the files and the information is there. Mostly AAC format. Some MP3. But even the MP3 with the proper ID3 tag doesn't show. Any suggestions? I do see the information when I play music via bluetooth off my phone.

Drtko147, just checking do you have your music files in a sub folder more than one level down? I recall seeing that in that instance the metadata that contains song information is not accessed.

Sidebar - Has anyone tried using the EV chargers on the 3rd floor of the Sheraton Waikiki lot? I was pleasantly surprised to find there were 6 spaces there and only 2 were occupied by Leafs (Leafs always seem to take all the spaces everyplace I go!) The charger was a converted Better Place/Op Connect one. According to the EV Hawaii app, you need to get a fob from the front desk to start charging - too much hassle for me to go back and forth, but the front desk said I could park there even though I wasn't charging.

Has anyone heard anything about if OpConnect plans to convert the existing BetterPlace chargers to accept the OpConnect card I have?

one word I have for the old Better Place chargers at the Sheraton Waikiki (and all other Better Place chargers) slow, slow, slow. I think I was getting about 10 mi/hr charge when I tried them.
I was in the last parking space with no other cars there, when I returned there was a leaf parked in the next spot so close I could barely get into my car. (and still none of the other spaces occupied.)

When I spoke to the OpConnect rep he said that they were going to replace and upgrade all the Better Place chargers with the OpConnect chargers. (ugly, blue box in my opinion.) No timeline was given.

@drtko - How big is your USB drive and how many files? I had a 64GB FAT32 formatted drive with approximately 8000 mp3s with the same problem. The circle would keep spinning whenever I selected USB as the source. Rebooting never helped, and I suspect the drive was causing the main screen to reboot by itself too.

Luke at the SC mentioned the car has to index each file on the drive before you can use the drive, and this is a low priority process so it takes a while. What makes it worse is it has to restart each time if it doesn't finish before you switch off the car or if you remove the drive. Luke suggested a smaller drive with less files. I think that's poor programming/UI design that I'm hoping will be fixed in a future software update.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is 32GB FAT32. I have only about 700 songs. I found out that when you use the "By Folder", it only shows the song name. No artist or album art. So I have taken everything out of folders and just search by genre. To help me sort, I changed the genre in iTunes to make it easier to search for my music. I converted all the files to MP3 and updated the ID3 to v2.4 and searched for album art before copying back to the drive. It seemed to work better. Did the same thing for the songs on my Galaxy S3.

- - - Updated - - -

Drtko147, just checking do you have your music files in a sub folder more than one level down? I recall seeing that in that instance the metadata that contains song information is not accessed.

Found out that it seemed to a problem when you put the files in a folder. Seems the metadata doesn't show. I have solved the problem.

Mine is 32GB FAT32. I have only about 700 songs. I found out that when you use the "By Folder", it only shows the song name. No artist or album art. So I have taken everything out of folders and just search by genre. To help me sort, I changed the genre in iTunes to make it easier to search for my music. I converted all the files to MP3 and updated the ID3 to v2.4 and searched for album art before copying back to the drive. It seemed to work better. Did the same thing for the songs on my Galaxy S3.

- - - Updated - - -

Found out that it seemed to a problem when you put the files in a folder. Seems the metadata doesn't show. I have solved the problem.

Good to hear!

drtko147, I've no experience with using the USB with a lot of songs, Mine works with a few songs. I don't have many. I recommend you do both of these test. (1) Take a few songs and put them on another USB drive and see if the problem still exists.
(2) send me a PM and I will give you my address. Send me your USB drive and I will try it in my car and report the result. (And I will make copies of your songs, put them on another USB drive and "test them for you" (and keep a copy, since I have none). And after my report back to you, I will return your USB drive with sufficient cash to cover your postage to me.

Now, is that a deal or is that a deal?

gmtom1, Yes, I heard that OpConnect intends to transition Better Place to their units and upgrade the circuit. Their announcement said, they need some time to do this. They would not happen all at once either.

drtko, now that I have read the rest of this thread, I see you figured it out. Darn, shucks. drat. Well it was worth a shot. :)

drtko147, I've no experience with using the USB with a lot of songs, Mine works with a few songs. I don't have many. I recommend you do both of these test. (1) Take a few songs and put them on another USB drive and see if the problem still exists.
(2) send me a PM and I will give you my address. Send me your USB drive and I will try it in my car and report the result. (And I will make copies of your songs, put them on another USB drive and "test them for you" (and keep a copy, since I have none). And after my report back to you, I will return your USB drive with sufficient cash to cover your postage to me.

Now, is that a deal or is that a deal?

gmtom1, Yes, I heard that OpConnect intends to transition Better Place to their units and upgrade the circuit. Their announcement said, they need some time to do this. They would not happen all at once either.

drtko, now that I have read the rest of this thread, I see you figured it out. Darn, shucks. drat. Well it was worth a shot. :)

Akiki,

Thanks for the offer. I knew that I didn't do anything wrong from the copying from iTunes. Just minor complaints, I know. But I look at these as opportunities to learn.