Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Tesla and other EV Related Resources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The chargers in my office building will be replaced this month according to our property manager and there's supposed be a screen where you can sign in ..I'll take a pic when it happens. Stalls are too small IMO for a MS so doubtful I will ever use though.

I received a reply to an inquiry I sent to the management at Windward Mall regarding their current lack of EV stalls and charger. Here's the key part of their response:

"We have just finalized an agreement for the EV charging station. We are waiting from the vendor to give us a install date."

Good on 'em for jumping on board!

FYI, for those parking at the Kaimuki municipal lot, be prepared to write your license plate and phone #s on your parking ticket when you leave to get the free parking benefit. It seems the parking attendants have varying levels of training on the procedures. I've parked there three times before, and out of 3 times, I got out once without anything, 2nd time I had to write my plate # and third time the attendant asked for plate & phone #.

FYI, for those parking at the Kaimuki municipal lot, be prepared to write your license plate and phone #s on your parking ticket when you leave to get the free parking benefit. It seems the parking attendants have varying levels of training on the procedures. I've parked there three times before, and out of 3 times, I got out once without anything, 2nd time I had to write my plate # and third time the attendant asked for plate & phone #.

Yeah, usually for most of the municipal lots (including the airport), they'll ask for your EV plate number, your phone number on the ticket - I just write it down to start off with to avoid hassles at the booth now.

I wanted to share my story about a complaint I got from a patient who visited the Kaiser Permanente Mapunapuna clinic. For those who know me, I am a stickler for right and wrong. So when I plug my MS in the morning, I monitor the progress of charging and go down and unplug my MS early so that others can plug in. I don't even park in the EV charging stall. I park in the EV parking only stall next to it. Apparently, this patient had come to the clinic 8 times and she reports that every time she came, my MS was plugged in. So she complained to Security. Fortunately, the security guard knows me and knows that I unplug on a timely fashion. He did tell the patient about this fact and that there is no policy against employees plugging their EVs in. The worse part is that at this clinic, there are very few EVs that come by and more often than not, no other EVs are seen other than my MS. And for the other employees that do come by, they know that they can unplug me to charge while they are there and plug me back in when they leave (Spleen, for example). And if they don't, they leave their charge door open so that I can plug them in when I unplug.

What I am doing now is keeping my charge time to only 1-1/2 to 2 hours at most. This means that I run down in the middle of clinic to do this. I don't think this happens elsewhere. I also plan to use the card that Akiki gave me to hang on my adapter to let people know that they can unplug to charge if they need to. I just need to laminate it for weather protection.

Let me know what you think.

I leave my charge courtesy card on my dashboard inside my car to notify people when they can unplug me.

I usually only charge at work when I'm visiting someplace where I plan to be gone within a few hours or I charge in the late afternoon/early night.

Thanks for this resource guys (and Akikiki for starting it). I just ordered the ProClip cell phone holder with mount for my iPhone 5s. Got tired of using the cup holder or fumbling for the phone when it's flopping around in the center console area. Just gotta wait for it to arrive now :)

Didn't know how to secure it in place.

If ya lived next door, I'd give you one of my two suction cup clips. But you can slide it up under the trim inside the back window on the side nearest the charge port and with a small piece of tape, it will stay nicely. Your method probably works with less extra motion when you get back to the car anyway. :)

That ProClip is the best MS phone holder/mount that I have seen so far for the iPhone.
I tried a strip of industrial strength Velcro for a while, to the left of the big picture, but didn't like the look when I wasn't using it.
I also found this simple approach that works well. Takes an extra 3 seconds longer than the ProClip though.
This is called a Barnacle Mount by ILoveHandles. $4.00 on Amazon.
Barnacle Mount1.jpg

Its the Red sticky suction cup thing. Comes in Red, Black, White - you know some of the great Tesla colors. :)
See, it even works if you don't have a Model S. :)
Funny though, they call the color of this on Orange. Doesn't look orange to me.

Last edited: