Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Forum comments on news about Model S fires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like Elon said. The incidents have been getting an undue amount of press considering how much more likely you would be involved in a vehicle fire with an ICE car. Plus, everyone so far in the Model S has gotten out safely of any accident without serious injury. This will pass and we will still be driving the safest car on the planet.

Elon Musk interview about fires...interesting to hear about the Mexico accident.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24077-Elon-Speaks-on-TESLA-Fires

There's a Yahoo Finance article on Yahoo today titled, US safety agency opens probe into Tesla fires. Its an AP article.
There's a couple of things in the article worthy of repeating here, in case you don't see it.

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in a blog post that he requested the NHTSA investigation."

"NHTSA, in documents posted on its website, said it opened the preliminary evaluation "to examine the potential risks associated with undercarriage strikes" on the Tesla cars. The investigation could lead to a recall, but a decision likely is months away."

"Musk, who has stated previously that the Model S won't be recalled, said Tuesday that if NHTSA discovers something "that would result in a material improvement in occupant fire safety," Tesla will make the change on new cars, as well as existing vehicles free of charge. He said such a discovery is "unlikely.""

"In his blog post, Musk wrote that Tesla has done an over-the-air software update to give the car more ground clearance at highway speeds. The change, Musk wrote, was made to cut the chances of underbody damage, not to improve safety."

[And finally, most important to ease the mind of many...]
"Another software update in January will give the driver more control of the air suspension ride height, Musk wrote. The company also added fire damage to its warranty coverage "even if it's due to driver error.""

Yay!! :biggrin:
(A round of applause is on order here.)

There's a Yahoo Finance article on Yahoo today titled, US safety agency opens probe into Tesla fires. Its an AP article.
There's a couple of things in the article worthy of repeating here, in case you don't see it.

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in a blog post that he requested the NHTSA investigation."

"NHTSA, in documents posted on its website, said it opened the preliminary evaluation "to examine the potential risks associated with undercarriage strikes" on the Tesla cars. The investigation could lead to a recall, but a decision likely is months away."

"Musk, who has stated previously that the Model S won't be recalled, said Tuesday that if NHTSA discovers something "that would result in a material improvement in occupant fire safety," Tesla will make the change on new cars, as well as existing vehicles free of charge. He said such a discovery is "unlikely.""

"In his blog post, Musk wrote that Tesla has done an over-the-air software update to give the car more ground clearance at highway speeds. The change, Musk wrote, was made to cut the chances of underbody damage, not to improve safety."

[And finally, most important to ease the mind of many...]
"Another software update in January will give the driver more control of the air suspension ride height, Musk wrote. The company also added fire damage to its warranty coverage "even if it's due to driver error.""

Yay!! :biggrin:
(A round of applause is on order here.)

I saw the post late last night. It's so ridiculous how the media over-reacts (although I think the Big car companies have some hand in swaying them :scared:) Now really, what car company ASKS to have their cars investigated AND offers fire damage even if it's your fault????

No matter what, I still LOVE my Tesla...and i've been able to increase my long-term TSLA holdings with the price drop :rolleyes:

I saw the post late last night. It's so ridiculous how the media over-reacts (although I think the Big car companies have some hand in swaying them :scared:) Now really, what car company ASKS to have their cars investigated AND offers fire damage even if it's your fault????

No matter what, I still LOVE my Tesla...and i've been able to increase my long-term TSLA holdings with the price drop :rolleyes:

Yeah, when I got the news push on my phone last night, USA Today reported "BREAKING: U.S. to open Tesla formal safety probe." and I immediately thought that the stock was going to take another dive. I'm surprised that it ended up +$4.51 for the day.
My wife finally pulled the trigger and bought her own lot of shares back when it dropped from the ATH to $185, and I finally bought more when it dropped all the way to $155. Timing was off on my second round of purchases, as I had no idea it would ever get this low again, but in the longer time frame (I'm thinking at launch of Model E in 3-4 years or so) I think I will still make out quite handsomely.