Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla - Fun and Interesting Stories -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had the loaner P85 for 2 days now ( swapping out tomorrow with my car) and have been having ALOT of fun with it! It really does go 0-60 in 4.2 seconds :)

My funny story for the day.... In the morning I usually have some toast with almond butter/nutella for breakfast and eat it while I'm driving. Today I was driving down Meheuela Pkwy to get to the freeway and purposely kept hitting the lights so I could accelerate from a stop (to the speed limit of course). After the first fun stoplight...I looked for my sandwich in my purse and couldn't find if anywhere. Thinking I left it on the dining table and worried the dogs would get to it (Nutella has cocoa in it) i called my husband to look for it. He couldn't find it anywhere so I figured it was still buried in my huge purse somewhere. I get to town..park the car...as I walk away, I notice my breakfast on the back seat!! Still wrapped in a napkin. I laughed..realizing it was probably on the armrest and was shot in the back like rocket when I floored it at my first fun stoplight :biggrin:

So I've had the loaner P85 for 2 days now ( swapping out tomorrow with my car) and have been having ALOT of fun with it! It really does go 0-60 in 4.2 seconds :)
  • "Yes, officer, I'm aware of the speed limit and that I left the light with little hesitation."
  • "Yes, officer, I'm aware that I've done this for three lights in a row. This town really does have too many lights. Ruins the pleasant drive through the beautiful scenery."
  • "No, officer, I'm not in a hurry. It's such a pretty day though, isn't it?"
  • "Really? Electric vehicles go that fast? I didn't notice because there was no rumble from the engine, and it was just so smooth. My brother told me it's a nice car, but I didn't believe him so... Officer? (yelling) Well, it was nice meeting you. I'll try to be more attentive in the future. Have a nice day."

Sometimes only hearing half the conversation is needed to get the spirit of the discussion across. :)

I've done this before - accelerated hard off the line and found things in the back seat that I thought I had left on the armrest. :)

After a while, I learned not to leave anything there.
Perhaps it's my driving style, but I often find things pressed against the back of the seats but never have items moved from the seat to the floor. I guess that means my braking isn't aggressive.

I notice my breakfast on the back seat!! Still wrapped in a napkin. I laughed..realizing it was probably on the armrest and was shot in the back like rocket when I floored it at my first fun stoplight :biggrin:

LOL! first world problems...

I have a folded up microfiber towel that serves a dual purpose. Plugs my cubby perfectly for when I stomp it, and readily available to wipe down the touchscreen of fingerprints. I was tired of fishing for my parking card, sunglasses, etc.. which would all end up in the backseat floor well.

I was recently offered some training in San Diego for work. :biggrin: Then I started thinking about leaving my MS85 for a week+.:scared: It's never been without juice for that long since I've had it. in fact I usually try to keep it between 75% and 90%.:smile: I had to test how long I could go without charging it.:eek: I did a 90% charge last Friday night (232 rated miles). I only had minor errands over the weekend and my daily commute were the only other miles I would be putting on the car.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday... Training Canceled.:frown:
There was no reason to continue my test. as I arrived at the public charging station near my home, 2 Leafs taking up the charger. Off to my charging location. 1 Leaf and 1 Volt (Just plugging in. Is it really an EV?:confused: Seriously, is it?)
I guess my test will continue for one more day.
My current rated miles? 55. actual miles driven? 80. They really need to fix the vampire drain.

Original post in "Hawaii Tesla Owners"
Top two reactions to seeing my MS.
a few months ago some one saw my MS pass them in a parking garage. He started jumping up and down, pointing and screaming "A Tesla, I've seen a Tesla!!!!"

and today has to be the best reaction I hope to see over and over again.
As I pulled up to a stop sign. it was funny that all the cars entering the intersection stopped and none proceeded through the intersection. Then I saw her, a beautiful girl wearing a form fitting long dress.:love: She was crossing in front of me from the right. As she got right in front of me, her head started to turn to look at my MS, then down at the License plate, then up at me. She repeated this cycle as she continued to walk. when she was in the middle of the next lane she turned her head to look at the profile of the car, slowing down and almost stopping in the middle of the street to see the car. The smile on her face grew:smile: with every glance she took at me:cool: (or was it the car):biggrin:. As soon as she reached the opposite sidewalk the show was over and the rest of the cars started moving again.
I lingered a few moments more hoping she would come back and ask for a ride.

Ellingtones Instrumental "Girl form Ipanema"

Lovely! What a fitting tune for the girl!

dsmith, Who says you have to leave it? You know that that stretch of highway out in front of the old Robin Masters estate before you get to Sea Life Park? Get a running start, and punch the pedal. You should land in Baja, then drive up to S.D. Seems perfectly logical to me.

Last edited:
maybe someone can babysit your tesla while you're gone :cool: :tongue: :biggrin: I'm sure you can find eager volunteers!

nanimac; I thought of asking you to babysit, but I think you would try to return your 60 to me instead of my 85. :rolleyes: how many days/weeks after your service was complete did the SC get their p85 back from you?

nanimac; I thought of asking you to babysit, but I think you would try to return your 60 to me instead of my 85. :rolleyes: how many days/weeks after your service was complete did the SC get their p85 back from you?

Dsmith - if you really need a place for your MS to hang out, I've got a spare 14-50 outlet that we could leave your car plugged into. Just let me know.

LOL..how did you know I'd be happy to car sit :) It took 3 days before I gave back the P85 only to find out I have to bring my car back next week for the pano roof creak fix.. I should've just kept it until then :tongue:

I was recently offered some training in San Diego for work. :biggrin: Then I started thinking about leaving my MS85 for a week+.:scared: It's never been without juice for that long since I've had it. in fact I usually try to keep it between 75% and 90%.:smile: I had to test how long I could go without charging it.:eek: I did a 90% charge last Friday night (232 rated miles). I only had minor errands over the weekend and my daily commute were the only other miles I would be putting on the car.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday... Training Canceled.:frown:
There was no reason to continue my test. as I arrived at the public charging station near my home, 2 Leafs taking up the charger. Off to my charging location. 1 Leaf and 1 Volt (Just plugging in. Is it really an EV?:confused: Seriously, is it?)
I guess my test will continue for one more day.
My current rated miles? 55. actual miles driven? 80. They really need to fix the vampire drain.

The Test Continues. I thought I would be able to plug in at my favorite Friday night charging spot. Too bad there was a Volt charging:cursing:
I guess I will have to plug in tomorrow morning.
To review
Last Friday I charged to a standard (90%) 232 Rated Miles.
When I parked tonight I had driven 95 spirited miles.:biggrin:
here is the current state of charge.
TeslaLow.png

That means I lost about 125 miles in seven days to vampire load.:cursing:
My battery bar in the car shows the same 11% charge the image above has. :confused:who are they kidding.

The Test Continues. I thought I would be able to plug in at my favorite Friday night charging spot. Too bad there was a Volt charging:cursing:
I guess I will have to plug in tomorrow morning.
To review
Last Friday I charged to a standard (90%) 232 Rated Miles.
When I parked tonight I had driven 95 spirited miles.:biggrin:
here is the current state of charge.
View attachment 27900
That means I lost about 125 miles in seven days to vampire load.:cursing:
My battery bar in the car shows the same 11% charge the image above has. :confused:who are they kidding.

Wait, does that equate? Are you saying that you drive "spirited"ly but still get "rated" energy usage (I think around 305 Wh/mile or so)? Because that's the only way you could subtract your actual mileage driven from your rated miles and be able to conclude that the difference was all because of vampire losses. Otherwise, some of that difference could simply be because of your driving technique.

Last edited:
Wait, does that equate? Are you saying that you drive "spirited"ly but still get "rated" energy usage (I think around 305 Wh/mile or so)? Because that's the only way you could subtract your actual mileage driven from your rated miles and be able to conclude that the difference was all because of vampire losses. Otherwise, some of that difference could simply be because of your driving technique.

By spirited I mean my morning and afternoon commute between down town and Pearl.:rolleyes: Oh, I guess I should have said "stop and go" driving:eek: on H1. but spirited sounded better and I wasn't driving aggressively and I wasn't babying the throttle either.:biggrin:
What I was trying to say was that out of 232 miles charged I was only able to drive about 95 miles in one week and in my opinion most of the loss was while I was not behind the wheel.
Finally plugged in... I may have to break the charging session in two so I don't hog the charger today.
TeslaLow2.png

Last edited:
By spirited I mean my morning and afternoon commute between down town and Pearl.:rolleyes: Oh, I guess I should have said "stop and go" driving:eek: on H1. but spirited sounded better and I wasn't driving aggressively and I wasn't babying the throttle either.:biggrin:
What I was trying to say was that out of 232 miles charged I was only able to drive about 95 miles in one week and in my opinion most of the loss was while I was not behind the wheel.
Finally plugged in... I may have to break the charging session in two so I don't hog the charger today.
View attachment 27910

What's your recent average Wh/mile reading say on the energy screen?

Not the greatest picture
View attachment 27979

So assuming that the 383 Wh/mile represents your energy usage while driving the 95 miles you drove, then the difference between your energy usage and rated energy usage accounts for approximately 25 miles of the miles lost. This means that 100 miles are unaccounted for of which vampire losses are definitely part of the equation. Sucks, sorry. :(