Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla - Fun and Interesting Stories -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So assuming that the 383 Wh/mile represents your energy usage while driving the 95 miles you drove, then the difference between your energy usage and rated energy usage accounts for approximately 25 miles of the miles lost. This means that 100 miles are unaccounted for of which vampire losses are definitely part of the equation. Sucks, sorry. :(

Soooo. for the purposes of wrapping this "test" up. I know that I will be able to leave my car for at least one week when they reschedule my training.

Additional info regarding energy usage. There is a very good and very long explaination on analyzing energy use and where does the mojo go on the TM side. Author is "Rod and Barbara". I can't do justice to his research, but he basically is saying that:
1. When you get to 0, you can still go 17 miles.
2. As you drive, the system "banks" juice at its own pace and schedule. It banks this juice to give it back to you later, IF you need it as you run low. In other words, its not telling you the truth when it reports what range is left.

I believe your discussion is about vampire load, not about when your MS is banking juice and taking it from the range screen. However, I wanted to point out that Rod had been doing some work on this and its good reading.

I am sorry I posted this under stories, but I wanted to put the info with your discussion on vampire load.

Last edited:
great story...all I can say is damn you Tesla for providing P85 loaner cars, knowing full well that we'll like it so much that we'll want to upgrade! dsmith...At least it's not too much of stretch for you to upgrade since you've already got an 85 :)

coincidentally as I was plugging in tonight I spoke with the owner of a new black Leaf:rolleyes:. as he asked me about my car (he said he was so jealous even though he just got the leaf) he noticed my trouble breathing and said that he just got over a similar bought with walking pneumonia, only he put off treatment thinking it would get better (and his son is a doctor). it finally ended him checked into the hospital. He should have had a tesla, it would have kept him as an outpatient. He had seen a red one at the Blaisdell last night and someone at the Honolulu club just got one. He said he spoke to Barry while he was shopping for his new car. The reason he didn't get the MS was because he prefers to lease and Tesla doesn't have a traditional leasing program. we talked for a while about the MS, MX and Gen III. he mistakenly thought the MX was the same as the Gen III. hopefully Tesla will be selling Gen III in 3 years when his lease is up.
every other statement I made about my MS made it harder breath and my constant coughing finally ended the conversation. I guess I was getting too excited for my own good.:biggrin:

since there have been no stories in a while and Nigel moved all my breathing stuff:scared: I thought I would share what just happened at Sam's club.
I had the frunk open and was unloading my cart all of a sudden somebody runs from behind my car saying...

"this is a Tesla I've never seen the engi... huh? there's nothing there. I've always wondered what it looked like and it's not there."

priceless, he was so excited. and to see his face drop when he saw the empty (except for my Sam's Club "booty") frunk.
even after having my car all this time I never get tired of peoples reactions when you crush their pre-conceived notions of what a car (especially an EV) should be. and what a Tesla MS is.

I was at a baby shower today and met one of the youngest Tesla fans! He was around 11 and I overheard him telling his mom .."there's a Tesla!" They started walking around my car and admiring it when I asked if they wanted to see the inside ...of course he said yes :) the first thing he said when he sat down was "is this a P85?" Lol.. I told him I couldn't afford that and it was a 60. He knew everything about the screen, adjustable suspension, horsepower on for each battery size, and on and on and on. Then I asked if he wanted to go for a ride..of course he said yes..I gave him and his sister the usual rocket ship ride :)

when I asked him how he heard of Tesla, he said it was part of his school work..he and his sister are home schooled and one of their classes is investments so they get to study whatever interests them. They live in waialua and I guess there's a couple MS there. His mom said its his dream car and he was trying to convince her that it was roomier than their Honda so they should get one..lol

was great to talk Teska with such a young fan and future owner!

I was at a baby shower today and met one of the youngest Tesla fans! He was around 11 and I overheard him telling his mom .."there's a Tesla!" They started walking around my car and admiring it when I asked if they wanted to see the inside ...of course he said yes :) the first thing he said when he sat down was "is this a P85?" Lol.. I told him I couldn't afford that and it was a 60. He knew everything about the screen, adjustable suspension, horsepower on for each battery size, and on and on and on. Then I asked if he wanted to go for a ride..of course he said yes..I gave him and his sister the usual rocket ship ride :)

when I asked him how he heard of Tesla, he said it was part of his school work..he and his sister are home schooled and one of their classes is investments so they get to study whatever interests them. They live in waialua and I guess there's a couple MS there. His mom said its his dream car and he was trying to convince her that it was roomier than their Honda so they should get one..lol

was great to talk Teska with such a young fan and future owner!
Start-em young... Investment class at 11 years old? I had to wait for college for that class. I wish I could have taken it earlier.
I hope their parents set up a stock account for them and bought TSLA. they will each be able to afford a 2020 MS PXXX+ (whatever the biggest battery is by then) when they turn 18 and have enough left for College.
I told him I couldn't afford that and it was a 60.
That's just wrong, lying to an 11 Year old. But then again they say 60 is the new 40. (or is it the other way around)

Last edited:
I didn't totally lie...I was talking about the battery :)
At first I thought you meant he was lying when he said he couldn't afford it. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Investment class at 11 years old?
Some investment folk would drool at the prospect of "imagine a generation where the average person began investing at age 11". They'd probably be looking from the compound interest side. I'd be looking from the politics side -- a lot of the, um, "excrement logic" wouldn't pass muster with a generation savvy with money.

Just a bit of background for you Brianman. she really has a 40 not a 60 and yes she can probably afford a P85. probably +.(She will deny it)
so... double lie... to an 11 year old...
And a bit of clarification:
My comment was more about the TCO affordability of the Model S rather than something more personal regarding any individual's finances. Hopefully no feathers were ruffled or feeling hurt, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I could afford a P85+...who needs a house with a mortgage when the MS is pretty roomy :)
The house is a place to anchor a garage to keep your Tesla warm and plugged in. ;)