Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Model S accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After much thought, I decided to blackout part of my MS :cool:. I've been tinkering with the idea for a while now, and settled on only blacking out the rear chrome strip so that I could highlight the Tesla name more (chrome lettering on a chrome strip was not the best design IMHO).

The first attempt ended with a drip during the final (3rd) coat :scared:, so I had to strip it off and re-do it again :crying:. I am pleased with the results on the second attempt, which is one thick coat. The letters are red vinyl, from Roger on the forum.
View attachment 47724
Oh No you got some overspray on your license plate:scared:

Looks really neat WeazL.
Now, shall I tell you how you easy it is to take the chrome strip off?....(I feel so mean to say that, but it really is easy to remove and refit).

NigelM, I recall reading in a thread somewhere that the chrome strip was hard to remove without breaking (it went as far to mention that SC's break them frequently when removing them) which is why I masked the entire rear end. Perhaps I misread this somewhere? I believe it was a thread by Artsci discussing the complications of installing a lighted rear T...that it tends to break over the light assembly.

But yes, I would appreciate the knowledge of easy removal of the strip for future benefit.
:wink:

The chrome strip is held on with double sided tape. The trick to removing it is to use wide plastic spreaders such as those in the pic below. Gently and evenly work your way across and back to make sure you don't kink it. Tesla actually has pre-cut tape at the service centers to fit around the plastic pieces that are in the center of the rear lights at each end of the chrome strip (that's the piece that sometimes gets water in and where folks complain of water in the lights). Those "clear reflectors" are actually part of the chrome strip and not part of the rear lights so it's important to get underneath them as that's where most people make their mistake.

6331530-21.jpg

100% DIY, gmtom1. Did it under a tent in my driveway. I've got painting experience from previous work, which I think gave me more confidence than advantage in this case--this was not difficult and I think most people could do it. It seems to work best with thick coats so that they smooth over nicely when driving. Definitely must do in the shade to allow proper curing time. If sone in the sun, this stuff won't have time to self-level and smooth over.

Anyone else receive their replacement 14-50 adapter? I received my second one this week. That's one for Tessie 1 and one for Tessie Too. Took the second one to Tessie 1's "daddy" today.

Yes, received mine about three weeks ago and it's been sitting on the shelf in my garage since I only use 110V to charge. Returned my old one to the service center when I took my car in for a tire rotation in early April.

They're holding out on you Dave! Got mine about 3 weeks ago! Maybe shoot them in email?
Finally got my new 14-50 adapter yesterday. :smile:
the day before I got my new Torklift "The Law" front license plate bracket. I haven't tried it on the car yet, but it looks like I will be able to adjust the plate height (with a Bell Universal mounting plate) for installation of my front camera. :cool:
Let me know if you want to see the bracket.

Last week I installed the Blackvue DR550GW-2Ch Front and Rear Dash Cam to my S. And this weekend I added four sets of tie down straps to keep stuff from moving around in the trunk. While involved with installing the straps in the trunk corners, I also added the same puddle lights from the doors to the rear inside corners of the trunk. (My Red Chicken didn't have them already in the trunk.)

The tie down straps are made of varying lengths, depending of where they stick out, x 1" nylon strap like you would find on a backpack. Instead of D-Rings, I used some plastic triangluar shaped "rings". For lack of a better name, I call them V-Rings. I purchased the straps and V-Rings years ago at Kilgro's. Anyone remember Kilgo's ? :crying:

I wrote tie down installation instructions with pictures and sent it to TeslaTap to post on his site. He's not added them yet, but you will be able to find them under Modifications on his main page. If you want the Word document sooner, send me an email and I will send them to you. You know where to find my email address.

Akikiki, I'm literally on the computer to order the Blackvue camera--I'd like to chat with you about the installation and see how you approached it. I'm keeping abreast of it on the forum, but would like to hear of your thoughts.

I'm going back and forth on the 2 channel or single camera, but leaning towards the single. What swayed you to the 2-channel?