Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an email communique with George B in August he hinted that the Hawaii service center, as well as many of the other new ones going in, might double as a type of rudimentary Tesla store, not just a service center, until such time as they put in a mall store. So its location may be affected by demographics. All the new stores on the map say by March 1 so hopefully that's a latest date. Regardless we're very lucky a service center will be here soon. It makes owing a Model S in Hawaii feasible.

With the required inspection service to maintain warranty, I wonder if it's ever going to be feasible for neighbor island people to get a Tesla? I suppose you could do all Ranger service but you'd still need to get the tires rotated / wheels aligned and they said that Rangers won't be able to do that on site.

With the required inspection service to maintain warranty, I wonder if it's ever going to be feasible for neighbor island people to get a Tesla? I suppose you could do all Ranger service but you'd still need to get the tires rotated / wheels aligned and they said that Rangers won't be able to do that on site.

With the air suspension, you will probably never need a wheel alignment unless the car is in an accident. Even with the standard suspension you shouldn't need more than an alignment once in every three sets of tires. Checking the tires for feathering and uneven wear will tell you if you need one or not.

Most everyone misses the most important tire rotation anyway. The first one should be done at 1600-2000 miles. This early rotation gives all tires a turn on the drive axle which help reduce the possibility of uneven wear later in the tires' life. Then a rotation when the fronts are 1/3 worn and another when the fronts are 2/3 worn should allow all four tires to wear out at the same time.

With the air suspension, you will probably never need a wheel alignment unless the car is in an accident. Even with the standard suspension you shouldn't need more than an alignment once in every three sets of tires. Checking the tires for feathering and uneven wear will tell you if you need one or not.

Most everyone misses the most important tire rotation anyway. The first one should be done at 1600-2000 miles. This early rotation gives all tires a turn on the drive axle which help reduce the possibility of uneven wear later in the tires' life. Then a rotation when the fronts are 1/3 worn and another when the fronts are 2/3 worn should allow all four tires to wear out at the same time.

Hmm, I wonder if I sign up for the 4 year service plan whether I can get the Tesla service center to rotate my tires at 2000 miles. :)

Hmm, I wonder if I sign up for the 4 year service plan whether I can get the Tesla service center to rotate my tires at 2000 miles. :)

I shouldn't think it would be a problem. They probably don't know about it because although it's been shown to be effective, it's not been publicized all that well.

You can always say "If tires were included in the maintenance contract I wouldn't care, but because they're not I want them to last as long as possible".

found this on the Tesla Facebook page

Aloha Big Island! This lucky Model S is the first to roll ashore on Hawaii! Congrats Henk and Blue Planet Foundation on your beautiful new Tesla!

I didnt' see any pins for the big island on the ZMap of World Map of Model S Reservation Holders

Wonder what number he was...

- - - Updated - - -

found this on the Tesla Facebook page

Aloha Big Island! This lucky Model S is the first to roll ashore on Hawaii! Congrats Henk and Blue Planet Foundation on your beautiful new Tesla!

I didnt' see any pins for the big island on the ZMap of World Map of Model S Reservation Holders

Wonder what number he was...

And plugged in at Ala Moana charging

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1350058112.289283.jpg

Just ordered Model X for Honolulu

In an email communique with George B in August he hinted that the Hawaii service center, as well as many of the other new ones going in, might double as a type of rudimentary Tesla store, not just a service center, until such time as they put in a mall store. So its location may be affected by demographics. All the new stores on the map say by March 1 so hopefully that's a latest date. Regardless we're very lucky a service center will be here soon. It makes owing a Model S in Hawaii feasible.

GP Res #1,6xx

- - - Updated - - -

Just reserved my "X" today for Honolulu.......#1,6xx

Posted this in the "Random Model S Sightings" thread but thought there may be some local interest as well.

At the Whole Foods in Kailua, found a Model S charging - my first sighting of a Model S in the flesh!

tesladay1.jpg

After Whole Foods, went to Windward Mall, and heading back to town, as a bonus ran into this green Roadster.

tesladay3.jpg

All in all, a very good Tesla day!

Hi! Am flying to San Jose this weekend to test drive the S :) am wondering what battery size people have in their cars (or have reserved)? I live in Mililani, but work downtown so probably drive 40 miles a day. I'm leaning towards the 40kwh so I can spend more on options. Any input is appreciated.

Hi! Am flying to San Jose this weekend to test drive the S :) am wondering what battery size people have in their cars (or have reserved)? I live in Mililani, but work downtown so probably drive 40 miles a day. I'm leaning towards the 40kwh so I can spend more on options. Any input is appreciated.
"Any input..."
1. For average daily drive you should be OK. Even with AM and PM traffic on H1.
2. Oahu circle island is about 120 miles.
3. I used to live in Kapolei and work at Pearl Harbor with a second job near Ala Moana. I easily did 50- 60 miles/day with comute and side trips. sometimes even more.
4. Also consider battery degredation over time and see if that meets your needs. (Whatever that will be for the 40kWh.)
What did I get? 85kWh. I got the largest I "can't" afford. I might have to get that 2nd job again.

Just keep in mind that there are two charge modes on the Model S, standard and range. Standard mode only charges the battery up to 80% of capacity I believe, and is better for the long term health of the battery. Range mode would fill the battery to capacity which would theoretically give you 160 miles of range, but it is not recommended for every day use because of battery degradation. So on a 40kwh battery your every day driving range is probably closer to 128 miles.

Furthermore, I've been driving around for a week and I've been averaging 355 kw/mile. At that consumption rate on a 40kwh battery, you are looking at a range of 113 miles in range mode and 90 miles in standard mode. So if you are comfortable with 90 miles of practical range on a daily basis, then the 40kwh battery is probably sufficient. You could be a more efficient driver than I am, but then again you could be worse. I tend to drive by myself most of the time and mostly in town stop and go traffic. I run my AC, play the stereo, have my daytime running lights on (because they look cool), and ambient cabin lights on at night. I've been trying to be more efficient with my driving lately, but since I've been giving a bunch of test rides, I've been known to floor it every once in a while which is not great for efficiency.

One of the advantages of the 60kwh battery is you can make use of the superchargers that Tesla is setting up whereas the 40kwh battery cannot. However, I doubt Tesla ever puts a supercharger on Oahu so unless you plan to move somewhere else, I think you can ignore the supercharger aspect of it.

From what I can tell, I think air suspension is a must as an option. It really is a great ride. If you can afford it, I would strongly suggest the panoramic roof even if you don't ever plan to open it. Not only is there more headroom in the back, but the ambience of the car seems nicer. The one thing I'm pretty sure you can get by without is the paint armor. Also it is probably cheaper to install a 14-50 NEMA outlet than getting the HPWC.

Hope this one man's opinion is helpful to you. Have fun on test drive. You'll love it and start counting the days until you get your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.