Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very exciting news! Good luck. Keep everyone posted.

Got the Temp CA registration, Bil of Sale and MSO via Fedex. Also included a letter instructing me to got to Hawaii County DMV and their office addresses in Hilo, Kona and Pahoa. I think I might just go the sattelite City Hall at Ala Moana since it is less than a mile away and save the airfare to the big island. I will also be able to charge the car since Solar City has yet to instaill my NIMA 14-50 Plug.
No communication from Tesla in the last week regarding vehicle status/wherabouts. emailed UPS autologistics today hoping they can tell me if it made it onboard the (Matson) Mokihana for the trip to Honolulu.
Hopefully, it made it onboard and will arrive in 10 Jan (00:01 AM). I requested they deliver it to my home but I am now having second thoughts and think it may be faster to pick it up at the Matson termnal, given the opportunity.

Got the Temp CA registration, Bil of Sale and MSO via Fedex. Also included a letter instructing me to got to Hawaii County DMV and their office addresses in Hilo, Kona and Pahoa. I think I might just go the sattelite City Hall at Ala Moana since it is less than a mile away and save the airfare to the big island. I will also be able to charge the car since Solar City has yet to instaill my NIMA 14-50 Plug.
No communication from Tesla in the last week regarding vehicle status/wherabouts. emailed UPS autologistics today hoping they can tell me if it made it onboard the (Matson) Mokihana for the trip to Honolulu.
Hopefully, it made it onboard and will arrive in 10 Jan (00:01 AM). I requested they deliver it to my home but I am now having second thoughts and think it may be faster to pick it up at the Matson termnal, given the opportunity.

I would have hoped by now that Tesla would have cleaned up its delivery problems. On the one hand I doubt Tesla will have a backlog of 12,000+ cars to deliver for years to come, but on the other hand it has to improve the delivery service. Whether it is forcing UPS to be more communicative or finding another solution for delivery other than UPS, something has to change. Customers forking over $90k+ for a car are not happy with the level of information they are getting during the delivery process which is evidenced by all the frustrated comments in the delivery threads. What car company can get away with typically keeping its customers in the dark, and then one day before delivery contacting the customer? Lucky for Tesla, the majority of customers seem to drop whatever they are doing to accept the car.

At any rate I'm glad they at least got you the temporary registration BEFORE you got the car. In my case it was the opposite and I had to let the new car sit in my garage until my registration arrived. That sucked.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been holo holo for a while. Dang car sat in the garage so long I got morose. Been driving, a lot (too fast too!). So, as you can see, it is fixed. The guy coming to the islands, on Wednesday, Barry, is spot on! As I have said, so many wanting to do so much; so much to do though! He got the thing humming and has checked in pretty regularly. He is coming home BTW, so I am feeling much happier. The only problem I have with my car now is my near constant desire to wash or polish it every time I drive it! If only the rain did some wash-n-wax ...

The only problem I have with my car now is my near constant desire to wash or polish it every time I drive it! If only the rain did some wash-n-wax ...

Heh, heh, I know what you mean. I'm pretty obsessed with keeping my car looking great. I think my wife is impressed by how well I've been treating my car, especially since I did virtually nothing to keep my previous car clean.

Yesterday, I was showing my car off to another potential reservation holder (he ended up putting a reservation in after he drove my car which makes at least a handful of people I've helped to make their decision), when two local guys walked up to check the car out. Turns out one of those guys is a Tesla engineer. He's a local boy working at Tesla who was home for vacation. Nice guy.

dsmith - hope your car shows up soon! (Crossing fingers)

islesowner - glad to hear that your car got fixed! So our service rep here in Hawaii is Barry?

False alarm. It left the factory on Dec 31 (it should have left on Dec 24th) and has been sitting untouched in the port of oakland ever since. It never got loaded on the Mokihana which left on Jan 4th. Just got the appologetic phone call today, appologizing for the delay, applogizing for the bad info I got, appologizing for the 2013 dated paperwork (I paid for it Dec 17th).
I was told that my car did in fact move closer to the pier today (but didn't get on the ship that left today) and will be on the next ship leaving for Hawaii (Matson's MahiMahi) Scheduled to arrive the evening of Jan 16th. One month since Dec 17th when I actually paid for the car. that doesn't mean I will actually get the car when the Matson offices open at 8AM on the 17th, but at least someone has told me something after multiple emails, with no reply, requesting status.

That's got to be frustrating. Hang in there. As you've seen, the car is a dream and is worth all the aggravation you are going through now.

Got a corrected MVPA today, it reflects when the car left the factory (Dec 31) instead of the bogus Jan 2 date. Now I don't have to hide from the IRS.
forgot to mention something in my last post. When I was talking with the DS getting my car info striaighened out, I asked him if he had any info on the Service Center.
He said he knew they were opening one here, but he would have to ask arround to find out where and when it will open. Hope to get that info from him soon.

Got a corrected MVPA today, it reflects when the car left the factory (Dec 31) instead of the bogus Jan 2 date. Now I don't have to hide from the IRS.
forgot to mention something in my last post. When I was talking with the DS getting my car info striaighened out, I asked him if he had any info on the Service Center.
He said he knew they were opening one here, but he would have to ask arround to find out where and when it will open. Hope to get that info from him soon.

It's getting closer! (if only by a few miles). I would be on such pins and needles.

Anyone on the Big Island taken delivery of their S yet? We're visiting for a week and would love to meet up with other S owner(s) while we're here. I'd be happy to share what I've learned in three-plus months of ownership.

So far they have only talked about a service center. No sales site for hawaii.
I had a personal correspondence with George B by email last summer in which he hinted that the service center here might be of a new, different kind. I inferred this to mean they might also have a car or two around for people to look at or, who knows, maybe test drive. Note that this was my inference, reading between the lines, and not directly stated. But George was clear and direct that a mall store was not planned initially and would be something farther down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.