Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Showroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really unfortunate, but the showroom is still not open, despite their signage from what I posted showing it was supposed to open May 12th. They took the sign down, but still have their doors locked. They really should put up another sign, as they look like they're open, and people are constantly pulling on the locked doors.

It's really unfortunate, but the showroom is still not open, despite their signage from what I posted showing it was supposed to open May 12th. They took the sign down, but still have their doors locked. They really should put up another sign, as they look like they're open, and people are constantly pulling on the locked doors.

Rumor is they haven't secured their sales license yet. Grand opening Party still on though.

• Informative
Reactions: StephenM
In case you all haven't seen, Tesla took over the corner of the 4th floor parking lot. There's another two stalls to the right that are not in frame. I'm guessing that these stalls are reserved for the store's use only, similar to Ala Moana and other Tesla stores on the mainland in malls I've visited.
20170514_175459.jpg

That was a fun event. I really enjoyed getting to see all our Tesla friends and getting to meet some new ones. So many pretty people to look at too. The new store is beautiful and tasteful. Tesla folks have something to be very proud of here. Was great to meet our Tesla friends from the Big Island too -the Hall-Morins.

And the International Market Place is amazing. Nothing like it used to be with small carts selling everything. All are high end stores now.

Store is opening today as a gallery which means the can't "sell" there but people can still look at the cars and the powerwall.

I think they will perform a valuable function even as a gallery. No, they can't talk sales, but I would guess that many of their guests are here from out of town visiting and are seeing Tesla products up close for the first time. Many of those that are "sold" to get one will do so when they return home and place their order then.

Its interesting to me to see this evolution of Tesla. Almost 5 years ago, George Blankenship - creator of the Tesla store, was asked why there is no Tesla store in Hawaii. George's answer was, we are supply challenged and to display the car implies there's plenty available. It will simply make people that visit here angry to see something that they can't buy/get yet. So here we've come 5 years and Tesla is producing enough supply that we can showcase the Tesla products where so many people from Asia and the good old U.SofA - to name a few places - can see it here although they can't see the products at their own hometown. We've come a long ways.

Permanent Ala Moana Store opened 2.5 years ago today - back then there were 422 Teslas on Oahu (according to our count) - Today there are 1,208 Oahu Teslas - that we know of/that we have documented !!! And another 100+ that are waiting on tags.

Last edited:
Reactions: nanimac
Hoping we don't lose Ala Moana or IMP or both stores after today's announcement of online sales only and store closures :confused:

I believe both the Ala Moana and IMP stores are high traffic stores. That being said, from a cost standpoint, it doesn't seem to make sense to have two stores so close to each other so I'd guess that one of the two stores will probably close.

I believe both the Ala Moana and IMP stores are high traffic stores. That being said, from a cost standpoint, it doesn't seem to make sense to have two stores so close to each other so I'd guess that one of the two stores will probably close.

Agree. Both stores provide global exposure for Tesla. Ala Moana store serves both residents and tourists but rent is probably more $$$$ than IMP. Guess we will find out soon...

I'm more worried about losing the service center. Business standpoint makes sense to only have mobile mechanics, but it seems sketchy.

I don’t think we’ll lose the service centers. There’s just some things mobile service can’t do. They just won’t need to expand the center as much as the number of cars increases. I’ve seen the mobile van here as well as Model S and tire van in Fremont. Even saw the tire van change out someone’s tire in a parking lot. Balanced it and everything. Pretty impressive!

There's no way that we will lose the service center. They're overwhelmed as it is. If anything, they need to consider another service center considering the growth in numbers of Tesla's on the road and many more to come (Model Y will be even bigger than Model 3 and the truck probably equal to that). I do think it will make sense to lose one of the showrooms, however. Which one will likely matter on rent. IMP showroom is Kalakaua Avenue facing in the primest of prime spots in Waikiki, so that can't be cheap. They had trouble filling the spaces when they opened and were giving big incentives to the more premium tenants there. My guess is as this phases out and they have to start paying full rent, they will decide to leave. I wonder what they will do with all of the Tesla chargers when they leave (AMC or IMP)