Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just was notified by the service center that I have about 1,000 miles left on my tires. What has been the consensus here, that it makes the most sense to have the service center replace it, and what is the cost for that?

Or has anyone found a good reputable shop that knows Teslas and can replace with quality tires at a lower cost?

I just was notified by the service center that I have about 1,000 miles left on my tires. What has been the consensus here, that it makes the most sense to have the service center replace it, and what is the cost for that?

Or has anyone found a good reputable shop that knows Teslas and can replace with quality tires at a lower cost?

Might be too far for you, but used RAD Motorsports in Waipahu for my husband's car rims. They do a lot of work with Teslas since they work closely with Sigs Body Shop which is an approved shop for Tesla. Really nice and knowledgeable guys over there. Pricing seemed reasonable.

Might be too far for you, but used RAD Motorsports in Waipahu for my husband's car rims. They do a lot of work with Teslas since they work closely with Sigs Body Shop which is an approved shop for Tesla. Really nice and knowledgeable guys over there. Pricing seemed reasonable.

Thanks! I'm going to check out the differential in costs for comparable tires to see if it is worth forgoing the convenience of valet service. Anyone care to share how much they paid to purchase/install tires? Can PM me if you don't want to post it. Just wanted to get some basis for comparison.

I did some research & comparison shopping early last year when I needed to replace the two front original 19" Goodyears on my S. The only local shop that carried the same OEM tire was Goodyear (duh!), and non-sale difference in price wasn't worth the hassle/worry of not having the SC and their excellent service team work on my S.

I did briefly consider switching brands, because of much cheaper, non-OEM tire options available from Costco, Lex, etc., but since I was only doing 2 tires, that option was quickly dismissed.

I've been using Goodyear on Waialae Ave. because Telsa won't install non-OEM tires and the tires I've been using are perfectly fine and half the cost (21" Hankook Ventus). I haven't had any problem with them, though I will say the guy checking my car in never has a clue what a Tesla is. Kept asking me "who makes it?" and this was as late as January of 2016. How the heck have you never even heard of a Tesla Model S 4 years after it came out and you're in the tire business?? I don't remember the cost to install but it seemed reasonable to me for mounting/balancing/alignment and disposal of old tires plus an extra charge because of the TPMS sensors (it was in the ballpark of $200 iirc).

I have ordered tires from tireRack..com and DiscountTireDirect.com. even with shipping (I use ShipToHawaii.com) it is usually cheaper if you have a place that will install them. Most any garage with a tire machine can do it. Just find one with a good reputation. if they have the tires in stock they will ship right away otherwise they will have it shipped directly from the tire distributor which adds a few days to the order depending on availability.
they also offer road hazard protection and TPMS rebuild kits with your order.I just got a free +$75 air shipping (from ShipToHawaii) replacement tire from Discount Tire Direct after a pot hole incident, no questions asked.
(all are 21")
Discount Tire Direct Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 are about $187 each
Discount Tire Direct Nitto Invo are about $278 each.
Tire Rack Continental ContiSportContact 5 are about $333 each (MTG Maserati)
Tire Rack Contenental ContiSportContact 5P ContiSilent are about $349 each
Tire Rack Contenental ContiSportContact 5 ContiSilent are about $408 each sale $301 each
Tire Rack Contenental ContiSportContact 5 are about $325 each
Tire Rack Contenental ExtremeContact DW are about $216 each
Tire Rack Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 are about $181 each
Tire Rack Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 are about $279 each ((96Y XL)
Tire Rack Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 are about $327 each (RF)
Tire Rack Michelin Pilot Super Sport Acoustic Tech are about $330 each (Tesla,)
Tire Rack Michelin Pilot Super Sport are about $278 each
Tire Rack Pirelli P Zero are about $343 each
Tire Rack Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) are about $297 each (Sport)
Tire Rack Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) are about $338 each (Volvo, PNCS Luxury)
Tire Rack Pirelli P Zero Run Flat are about $429 each (Star RSC BMW )
Tire Rack Pirelli P Zero Run Flat (PZ4) are about $545 each (Star RSC BMW, Luxury)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spleen and Akikiki
I used to go through TireRack.com but someone told me about amazon and that they give free shipping with an order that large. It came out cheaper that way for me. Hankook Ventus V12 is listed at $200 per tire and it's $181 at Tirerack but the shipping there comes out to $325.

• Informative
Reactions: spleen and nanimac
I was just at Lex Brodie / Queen St today for my wife's BMW. I asked a supervisor about the their ability to replace Model S tires. He said they don't carry anything for the 21" wheels, but could replace the 19" with Michelins speced for the Tesla. They do not carry the Goodyear 19"s.

Per RodF's post, I'd be fine with paying the above-cited price for the GY Touring 19s at the SC.