Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii touch up paint work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m too am struggling. I’m so embarrassed. I’m so lucky my neighbors have not noticed. I’ve been thinking about this all afternoon. I just have to get it off my chest. I hope this will help me feel better.

I have family coming in this weekend for a week. To that end, my baby get an extra special wash. (Baby is my red S.) Yeah, had ya thinking didn’t I. So extra special wash. You know this type. The one where you pull out the puddle lights and make sure the wires haven’t added a twist since the last time you looked. Get those Q-tips and wipe the dust off the courtesy lights under the front seats that shine on the rear mat. (Better check that those wires are straight too.) Raise the suspension and crawl underneath and double check that all the little black plastic push-in plugs are there. You know; it’s when you use that excuse to ArmourAll the red dirt marks on the cover over the big battery until it’s nice and those marks are all black and shiny. Where you remove the plastic trim around the outside of the frunk so you can wipe the top of the fenders properly and wipe down the underside of the trim before putting them back. That type of simple wash.

Well, was on my third wheel with the tooth brush scrubbing those little dark spots of brake dust out of the groves in the wheel weights and wiping it up with cotton balls. Just as I was reaching up to remove the cap on the valve stem to make sure the threads inside the cap where nice and even. That’s when I spotted it. If I had not been already lying down on my back looking up, I likely would have collapsed in shock and disgrace. Oh woe is me. I could hardly see for the tears in my eyes. But after a good shot full face from the high pressure garden hose to clear those tears, I could clearly see it. The valve stem cap was missing. Oh gosh how it hurts right now while I relive that hour. I don’t know when it happened. I don’t know how long it’s been gone. I am so embarrassed that I’ve been driving around out there in the clear blue yonder even the heavy traffic where anyone could see the valve stem cap was missing. Just stop and for a moment, close your eyes and think about all the cars that drove past and looked down at the wheel and saw that missing cap each time I was in a parking lot. Sends shivers up your back, huh? I know I have broken the code. I know I have disgraced myself in front of all of you. I am ready to begin to serve my penance. What’s it going to be? Please be gentle. I swear two things. I didn’t know it was missing and I won’t let it happen again.

Al least I have the chance to get to the SC before my family arrives. (With just a little luck, they will never know.) It will be easy to get out to the SC before daylight to get the cap. I’ll leave before daylight to make sure my neighbors are not exposed to the missing cap as I drive by. If there’s anyone out before daylight, I can draw their eyes towards me as I usually do. How do I do that you ask? I pull out of the garage with my hands held up high palms facing forward, so they can see I am not pressing the GDO to close the garage door. (They mutter in low voices – “There – See, it’s that Tesla Magic again – it closes the door itself.”

I’m so sorry. I’ve already written myself up for a very serious counseling session. And I have given myself a very good talking to.

Sometimes while resting after that effort washing our Tesla's, we have way-way too much time left on our hands, ya know? Somebody is going to say "Pictures or it didn't happen". I'm sorry, but I just can't post those that are paper clipped to the counseling statement.

Last edited:
I’m too am struggling. I’m so embarrassed. I’m so lucky my neighbors have not noticed. I’ve been thinking about this all afternoon. I just have to get it off my chest. I hope this will help me feel better.

I have family coming in this weekend for a week. To that end, my baby get an extra special wash. (Baby is my red S.) Yeah, had ya thinking didn’t I. So extra special wash. You know this type. The one where you pull out the puddle lights and make sure the wires haven’t added a twist since the last time you looked. Get those Q-tips and wipe the dust off the courtesy lights under the front seats that shine on the rear mat. (Better check that those wires are straight too.) Raise the suspension and crawl underneath and double check that all the little black plastic push-in plugs are there. You know; it’s when you use that excuse to ArmourAll the red dirt marks on the cover over the big battery until it’s nice and those marks are all black and shiny. Where you remove the plastic trim around the outside of the frunk so you can wipe the top of the fenders properly and wipe down the underside of the trim before putting them back. That type of simple wash.

Well, was on my third wheel with the tooth brush scrubbing those little dark spots of brake dust out of the groves in the wheel weights and wiping it up with cotton balls. Just as I was reaching up to remove the cap on the valve stem to make sure the threads inside the cap where nice and even. That’s when I spotted it. If I had not been already lying down on my back looking up, I likely would have collapsed in shock and disgrace. Oh woe is me. I could hardly see for the tears in my eyes. But after a good shot full face from the high pressure garden hose to clear those tears, I could clearly see it. The valve stem cap was missing. Oh gosh how it hurts right now while I relive that hour. I don’t know when it happened. I don’t know how long it’s been gone. I am so embarrassed that I’ve been driving around out there in the clear blue yonder even the heavy traffic where anyone could see the valve stem cap was missing. Just stop and for a moment, close your eyes and think about all the cars that drove past and looked down at the wheel and saw that missing cap each time I was in a parking lot. Sends shivers up your back, huh? I know I have broken the code. I know I have disgraced myself in front of all of you. I am ready to begin to serve my penance. What’s it going to be? Please be gentle. I swear two things. I didn’t know it was missing and I won’t let it happen again.

Al least I have the chance to get to the SC before my family arrives. (With just a little luck, they will never know.) It will be easy to get out to the SC before daylight to get the cap. I’ll leave before daylight to make sure my neighbors are not exposed to the missing cap as I drive by. If there’s anyone out before daylight, I can draw their eyes towards me as I usually do. How do I do that you ask? I pull out of the garage with my hands held up high palms facing forward, so they can see I am not pressing the GDO to close the garage door. (They mutter in low voices – “There – See, it’s that Tesla Magic again – it closes the door itself.”

I’m so sorry. I’ve already written myself up for a very serious counseling session. And I have given myself a very good talking to.

Sometimes while resting after that effort washing our Tesla's, we have way-way too much time left on our hands, ya know? Somebody is going to say "Pictures or it didn't happen". I'm sorry, but I just can't post those that are paper clipped to the counseling statement.
I think you are missing an opportunity for an upgrade.:D
https://www.amazon.com/Qingtech-Aluminium-Valve-Tesla-Modification/dp/B07D5QP13Z
or even... dare I say....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L4VLNY6

Nice work dsmith. You are right. I needed that. I better get a spare set for those just in case that I am away from the house driving and lose one. That way I do not need to wait til dark to sneak back into the garage. Do they come with a bag with the Tesla logo on them? How can we buy anything without the logo now days?