Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hazy Front Windshield Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I got my front windshield tinted with 80% ceramic film to block the heat. I have a lot of hazy ripples around the edges. My installer said the ripples are actually in the glass and not with the tint application which sounds like a stretch. He also said its a very common issue with windshield tinting. I attached a picture to try and best capture it but its hard to photograph.

The windshields kinda dirty in the pic but I assure you it doesnt wipe off.

Anyone else have a similar issues with front windshield tints?

IMG-2381.jpg

I do know that my X had a layer of scum on the outside that was fairly difficult to get off. I ended up buying griots glass polish and used an orbital to get it off. I still think there is something on the inside too. But I'm not gonna run the orbital or use polish in the cabin. My Model 3 had the same scum.

I see you’re from LA. I’m no expert but it looks like a botched install. Did you choose a well reviewed and recommended shop? I’ve got mine done at extreme Autowerks in Brea. Long drive but worth it.

Correct. I am in LA and I used a well known installer. Your windshield is ceramic tinted? Is it totally clear?

My film I think is an 80% suntek, it went on as a single piece and cost about $1k to get done which I regret right now and may just have them remove it.

I would say these are beyond slight distortions perhaps they are highlighted by the tint? I find that pretty amazing if true. I like my installer and hes helped me with a lot of stuff but Im not sure I buy the distortions are in the glass and this is common.

Correct. I am in LA and I used a well known installer. Your windshield is ceramic tinted? Is it totally clear?

My film I think is an 80% suntek, it went on as a single piece and cost about $1k to get done which I regret right now and may just have them remove it.

Yes, my front is 70% and it’s perfectly clear. I don’t remember the brand but it’s the best film extreme Autowerks use.

When you guys say haze is it like mine with a ripple or is it a reduction in clarity?
On mine, I don't see much hazing on the windshield at all. I had some light hazing on the side windows with sun at low angles in the morning or evening. Brought it back to Extreme Autowerks and they redid for free. It's now almost completely gone so that I can live with it.

I had mine done with 80% ceramic. I have a very light haze, but no distortions and no bubbles.

I do see some streaking on the outside edges when I clean the interior windshield. It takes about three cleanings (fresh paper towels and very little windex) to satisfy my OCD, but I eventually get there and it lasts for months.

I had Suntek put on my 3 windshield and I have the same problem. I assume its from the brand of tint. Its not too bad so I can live with it. Seems to be magnified by certain angles of the sun and any dirt on the windshield.

If you are in Extreme's neck of the wood, I'd recommend taking it to them for a look. It is difficult to determine from photos alone. The MX front windshield is the most difficult to tint in the auto industry, which is why most companies won't be able to do it successfully in one piece. Minor distortions can not be absolutely avoided, but the experienced companies will be able to do it with the least amount of distortion.

Spectra Photosync IRD is the top heat rejecting window film in the industry. Extreme carries that and is in a select group with access to that tint. The owner, Bing, is a great guy, and I'm sure he won't hesitate to give you a second opinion.

Here is a vid we made for the Model X front windshield tint and Spectra Photosync IRD last year.

And another one with some Model 3s.

I had my front windshield done with air80 and when the sun hits it it looks permanently dirty. Trying to decide if this is normal or not.. anyone else that had their front tinted, does yours look like this? Went to the most expensive/best reviewed shop in my area, side windows are perfect, but darker so can’t see this kinda thing.

Attachments

• 3CF2196B-C672-4629-A792-6AA858E31008.jpeg
    3CF2196B-C672-4629-A792-6AA858E31008.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 168