Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hazy Model S windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my MS about 1 year and I’ve always noticed the windshield seems to have a slight haze to it relative to other cars I’ve driven. It’s particularly noticeable when driving into the sun. When I get into my wife’s Honda Clarity, the view through the windshield just seems more ‘transparent’.

I’m not sure if this is normal and related to a UV coating. I should mention this is not the ghosting issue that some discuss. Night driving presents no double images or ghosting.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I washed mine with glass-wipes shortly after i got the car and had a haze I could not get off. I had washed the car and the haze was still present. When I was at Tesla I mentioned it and they washed it with [something] and its was clear again. Threw away the wipes.....

Are you certain the problem is on the inside? Could it be on the outside? After 70,000 miles, my Model S windshield was a mess. When the sun hit it I could barely see because of thousands of specs of some sort that were on the outside. I bought this clay bar designed for glass and, in conjunction with some spray detailer, made the windshield look nearly factory new in less than five minutes.

I have this issue on many car interior windshields all the time. Are you sure that the haze is not just some kind of residue? If it is, I've had success cleaning it off with this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037LKPWC/ref=psdc_15718531_t2_B0007OWD2M.

Good luck!
Interestingly, I have used that exact cleaner with no success. It doesn’t look like the light haze is a residue of something, but rather inherent in the glass. Of course I could be wrong. It’s been there since the day I picked up the car. I know the film you’re talking about and I’ve certainly had that in many cars. The difference is I’ve always been able to get it off with various cleaners.

Some of it is definitely the angle of the windshield. Beyond that, if you do have a film of some kind (often very evident when raining as you will get wiper smear), I've used Meguiars Cleaner Wax as it simply "cuts" throigh that film way better than regular glass cleaners. As a process I clean the glass with glass cleaner (Sprayway or Invisible Glass), "wax/clean" with the Meguiars cleaner/wax, let that dry and then buff the residue, and then to remove the wax I clean again with the glass cleaner. I might be able to eliminate the second glass cleaning if I just used something like one of Meguiars light mirror glaze products w/o any wax, but the "chemical" cutting of the Cleaner wax is what does the work vs. any real abrasive in some of their other products.

Some of it is definitely the angle of the windshield. Beyond that, if you do have a film of some kind (often very evident when raining as you will get wiper smear), I've used Meguiars Cleaner Wax as it simply "cuts" throigh that film way better than regular glass cleaners. As a process I clean the glass with glass cleaner (Sprayway or Invisible Glass), "wax/clean" with the Meguiars cleaner/wax, let that dry and then buff the residue, and then to remove the wax I clean again with the glass cleaner. I might be able to eliminate the second glass cleaning if I just used something like one of Meguiars light mirror glaze products w/o any wax, but the "chemical" cutting of the Cleaner wax is what does the work vs. any real abrasive in some of their other products.
I always thought using a wax on the windshield was a no no.

I always thought using a wax on the windshield was a no no.

I think the issue with wax is that it can actually make the windshield "too slick". When it rains, the wipers swipe back and forth and actually need a little friction to allow the rubber blade to "flip over" at the start of each (up or down). You will notice that I am doing the wax/cleaner (really for the "cleaner") and then using a regular window cleaner afterwards. The latter is to essentially remove the wax. Indeed, right after I wax it, the glass is slick as can be. One swipe with the glass cleaner and it is "squeaky" clean again and the slickness is gone.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ken7
I've never had this issue before. I never wipe my windshield with anything other than Rain-X. I only wash the car with Rain-X and I accidentally used Awesome cleaner on my wheels... I almost had a panic attack, thankfully it washed off and left no damage.