Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HB 1653 / SB 639 Relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fraser said the way his finances are structured eliminates the possibility of a conflict. He founded and sold a successful pallet manufacturing and recycling business and hasn’t had a regular day job since. And he tells his financial advisers to spread his investments out broadly among various sectors but otherwise to leave him uninformed about what goes in or comes out of his portfolio.
:rolleyes: Ah yes, the Mitt Romney gambit. And like with Mitt, if you believe that Fraser has no idea what his money is invested in and what his returns are, then I have a bridge to sell you.

This was posted in the 'Short-term' thread:

I already made it publicly aware on Sen. Kelly's FB page asking if true and if so why.
So many things idiotic about this statement that I don't even know where to begin:
The auto dealers noted Tesla could bring 6,500 jobs to Texas if another gigafactory was located in the Lone Star State, but pointed out that auto dealers already employ 90,000 people. Any profits from the gigafactory venture would go back to shareholders in California, TADA insisted.

HB 1653 / SB 639 Relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle de...

So are companies not allowed to send profits out of state? What a odd statement by TADA proving they have no argument.

So are companies not allowed to send profits out of state? What a odd statement by TADA proving they have no argument.
Seriously. That's just one of many problems with that dumb argument:

1) Profits go to shareholders: not until TSLA starts paying a dividend
2) If profits did go to shareholders, it would all go to shareholders in California: absurd on its face as people in every state have probably invested in TSLA, including Texans
3) If TSLA was HQ'd in Texas, they'd have no issue with direct sales: yeah, sure they wouldn't

Apparently they have no problem with the vast majority of auto sales profits in Texas going to Detroit, Japan, and Germany. BUT GOD FORBID THEY MIGHT GO TO CALIFORNIA.

Texas even has a $2,500 tax rebate you can apply for if you buy a brand-new battery-electric car in Texas. However, the law concerning it specifically requires you to buy the car from a "dealer." Thus, Texans are blocked out of that rebate when they're buying a Tesla.

Meanwhile, Texans get the rebate if they purchase a Nissan Leaf or a BMW i8... and the profits leave the USA altogether and go to Japan and Germany, respectively.

TADA evidently has no problem with this. If you're a Texan who wants to buy an American-made electric car... no rebate for you.

Texas even has a $2,500 tax rebate you can apply for if you buy a brand-new battery-electric car in Texas. However, the law concerning it specifically requires you to buy the car from a "dealer." Thus, Texans are blocked out of that rebate when they're buying a Tesla.

Meanwhile, Texans get the rebate if they purchase a Nissan Leaf or a BMW i8... and the profits leave the USA altogether and go to Japan and Germany, respectively.

TADA evidently has no problem with this. If you're a Texan who wants to buy an American-made electric car... no rebate for you.

And THAT describes the profound arrogance and selfishness of the TADA Hegemon and their lackies (the Texas Legislature).
In effect, they are willing to support and encourage Nissan and BMW sales, yet ignore the best EV in the market place.
I do wonder how the Volt and ELR are handled WRT the rebate???

The next Texas Legislature session will be 2017, so it will probably be 2019 (soonest) before enough of the Legislature grows an actual spine and gets Texas into step with the Modern World.

Legislators represent those with deep pockets, not the Will of the People.
It's gonna be a lot of educating (of the masses) to get the word out about EVs, one (car) person at a time, in order to effect change.

smh

Mr. Tesla Blamed for Texas Bill Defeat

A deadline passed last Thursday and Texas HB 1653 never made it to the House floor. The bill is likely dead this session. Rep. Senfronia Thompson, member of the House Committee on Licensing and Administrative Procedures blamed Tesla. She said, "I can appreciate Tesla wanting to sell cars, but I think it would have been wiser if Mr. Tesla had sat down with the car dealers first.”

Mr. Tesla could not be reached for comment.

358px-Tesla_circa_1890.jpeg

Rep. Senfronia Thompson, member of the House Committee on Licensing and Administrative Procedures blamed Tesla. She said, "I can appreciate Tesla wanting to sell cars, but I think it would have been wiser if Mr. Tesla had sat down with the car dealers first.”
My first reaction: Ms. Thompson, I don't think Mr. Tesla understands our Texas Humor. You need to state it more plainly, like, "I only work here part time and don't make the rules. Talk to the Boss."

My second reaction is: That's a GREAT idea! Let's sit Mr. Tesla down with the top five Car Dealers in an idling F-250 or Cummins Ram Hemi. Anyone choosing to leave the vehicle yields the debate. I will offer use of my garage for this summit.

Third reaction may not be as printable as the first two...

Rick

David, I disagree. A lawsuit is the only way to go. Most of the legislature is bought and paid for by the dealers, free market be damned. Dan Patrick can dump the bill in a committee that doesn't even have to hold a hearing, and even if there were a majority of legislators that wanted the bill, he can make sure it dies in committee. A lawsuit, while expensive and time consuming, brings the issue to the forefront, lays out the arguments on each side, and I think any reasonable person would agree that Dealers provide no value. Tesla either wins outright or wins on appeal. When they do, the precedent helps bring the dealer system to an end. Where TADA could have easily compromised to 6 stores and moved on, keeping the existing system in place for 50 more years, a loss in the courts puts an immediate hurt on them.

David, I disagree. A lawsuit is the only way to go. Most of the legislature is bought and paid for by the dealers, free market be damned. Dan Patrick can dump the bill in a committee that doesn't even have to hold a hearing, and even if there were a majority of legislators that wanted the bill, he can make sure it dies in committee. A lawsuit, while expensive and time consuming, brings the issue to the forefront, lays out the arguments on each side, and I think any reasonable person would agree that Dealers provide no value. Tesla either wins outright or wins on appeal. When they do, the precedent helps bring the dealer system to an end. Where TADA could have easily compromised to 6 stores and moved on, keeping the existing system in place for 50 more years, a loss in the courts puts an immediate hurt on them.

I would hope that something other that a lawsuit would resolve this issue in Texas, but there is a LOT of money being poured into the legislator's willing pockets.
Basically the legislators will do as instructed by the Lobbyists and their biggest contributors.
The legislators probably are poking the bear a bit, and actually getting more from TADA with the idle threat of allowing the legislation to be introduced (a favorite tactic to increase donations).
And voted on.
Probably scares the auto dealers to give more than they give at church.
It is a game to them: promise, get the money, act according to the wishes of the fat cat Good Ole Boys.
Lawsuits are very expensive, and depending on the litigator and the personalities involved can yield big results.
Or big disappointments.
Timing is everything, and my sense is the timing just isn't there yet.

Talk to the man on the street, and you will quickly understand how little the average "Joe" actually knows (and cares) about EVs, much less a Tesla.

Personally, I am sick and tired of being told by an auto dealer that selling (and buying) a Tesla is "illegal" in Texas.
Yes, they would like (love) to sell the car, just as a sideline to the rest of their standard ICE offerings.
Them with the Gold wrote those Rules.

I hold little hope for the outcome in 2017 (next legislative session) to be any different.
There is very little TM can do to gain traction, because basically most folks have not even heard of Tesla Motors.
And those that have, would love to have the car, but can't fit it into their current budget.
TM doesn't advertise, yet every football, basketball, golf, news program, etc. has a virtual barrage of regular ICE (and very occasional EV) car ads.
And the media is being FED (paid) by those advertising dollars.
So where is their incentive to free advertise for Tesla?
TM gives them nothing (no direct advertising money), except click-bait web headlines.

Maybe 2019, or perhaps TM will have re-thought their business model when the Model 3 comes out.
It will be a completely different world (and logistics) when that car is being built and delivered in the 10s of thousands a year, maybe 10 thousand+ units delivered per month.
Then the world (masses) will start to awaken to the viability of good-looking, affordable and long-range EVs.

The future is bright, it just requires a lot of patience until the rising tide cleans all the debris out of the way.
2017 and the Model 3 ramped up production can't get here fast enough.