TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

HD Radio?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Hank101, Jul 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Does the Model S come standard with HD radio? Will the M3?

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

I would hope so. many low end aftermarket radios comes with it

3. AceSkywalker

AceSkywalker Member

HD Radio sucks in terms of signal reception and audio quality. You're better off streaming from your phone.

• Disagree x 2
  4. animorph

animorph Member

I use HD radio in my X. Works fine. Seems like a standard feature for Tesla, but they might use something simpler for the 3.

• Like x 1
  5. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Simpler? Some things you just expect would be standard, even on a 35k car.

• Disagree x 1
  6. AceSkywalker

AceSkywalker Member

I disagree. What is standard on a $35,000 car? Leather seats? No. Tesla plays by different rules. The premium that you're paying for is not the fluffy creature comforts. You're paying for a superior electric drivetrain, environmentally conscious design (electric & vegan interior), advanced safety, and the ability to option the car to drive itself. Its why the Model S & X are destroying the sales numbers of say a Mercedes S-Class while not offering the creature comforts that is "expected" in that price bracket like massaging and ventilated seats.

Luxury should not be defined by the interior design, or the crafting of the stitching on the seats. It should be defined by absolute safety. Not having to drive will be the ultimate luxury, in which a self-driving, stripped down $20,000 car will be superior to a $500,000 waste of a supercar that you have to drive yourself.

• Like x 1
  7. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

You do realize we're talking about HD radio?

8. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

It should come standard. It's relatively inexpensive and the competition has had the feature standard for many years.

9. AceSkywalker

AceSkywalker Member

Yes, and I'm saying that expectations NEED to be reduced. What may be standard on cars in this price bracket may not appear on the Model 3. And that's more than fine. I would be happy with a Model 3 that had cloth seats and had a small display showing basic information like speed, and still pay north of 30,000 for it, and so would many. If I wanted features galore and creature comforts, I would get a traditional car.

10. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Nah. HD radio allows for real time traffic updates on your route. What is it, a $5 chip? What is this vegan seat comparison? Apples and oranges. Need to address the OP.

• Like x 1
  11. jlv1

jlv1 Member

As said above, the S does come with HD Radio standard. I suspect the 3 will, also (I'd be surprised if it didn't at this point in time).

What is possibly more interesting is the terms on the LTE connection (how long will it be free).

12. AceSkywalker

AceSkywalker Member

LTE connection is expensive for Tesla, and expecting it on possibly hundreds of thousands of cars is a fool's errand. It will only be free for a year at most, and that's being generous. You'll probably have to pay for it.