Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hd-wave with frequency shift power control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m here asking because I think the HD-wave SolarEdge inverter is used with Tesla power wall. I’ve got a semi-off grid system using SMA sunny islands and am looking at AC coupling using the HD Wave. Sorry for the kinda sorta off brand question… but Sunny islands use the same 62hz power curtailment as the power wall does, so I’m trying to get a feel for if the HD Wave works with power wall it should work with my sunny island. So far the answer I got from SolarEdge tech support was they did not support off grid mode and would not offer any tech answers… just the telephone operator script sort of answers. FWIW, I’ve got a 11400 solar edge but it predates the frequenvy shift, so I’m very interested in keeping the optimizers that are arelady on my panels… it would be slick to just swap the inverter for the HDwave and be done.

Thanks for any answers I get.

AC coupling is tricky and you are going to have optimum results if the inverters are both UL1741SA compliant. I had a Solaredge AC coupled to an Outback Skybox. I can understand why the Solaredge tech support would say they do not support off grid mode, however if the question were phrased as an AC coupling question the answer might have been more positive. However, on other forums I have seen issues with SunnyIslands being able to AC couple with other brand inverters. I don't know why that is the case but the problem may be related to slight differences in how the frequency shift algorithm is implemented.

There are a couple of threads on this forum where SunnyIslands have been successfully AC coupled. On that forum, search for "SunnyIsland AC coupling".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ai4px
AC coupling is tricky and you are going to have optimum results if the inverters are both UL1741SA compliant. I had a Solaredge AC coupled to an Outback Skybox. I can understand why the Solaredge tech support would say they do not support off grid mode, however if the question were phrased as an AC coupling question the answer might have been more positive. However, on other forums I have seen issues with SunnyIslands being able to AC couple with other brand inverters. I don't know why that is the case but the problem may be related to slight differences in how the frequency shift algorithm is implemented.

There are a couple of threads on this forum where SunnyIslands have been successfully AC coupled. On that forum, search for "SunnyIsland AC coupling".

Just adding on to this: in theory any complaint inverter will be able to be configured however you'd like. Since the Powerwall is grid tied and your inverters are "behind" the Powerwall from the grid's perspective the AHJ almost certainly doesn't care how it's configured as long as the Powerwall meets their requirements.

in theory any complaint inverter will be able to be configured however you'd like. Since the Powerwall is grid tied and your inverters are "behind" the Powerwall from the grid's perspective the AHJ almost certainly doesn't care how it's configured as long as the Powerwall meets their requirements.
That is true in theory. The OP's question was whether a SunnyIsland battery backed inverter could successfully be AC coupled with a Solaredge. My answer attempted to explain that on other forums I had seen users having issues with AC coupling SunnyIslands with other brand inverters.

That is true in theory. The OP's question was whether a SunnyIsland battery backed inverter could successfully be AC coupled with a Solaredge. My answer attempted to explain that on other forums I had seen users having issues with AC coupling SunnyIslands with other brand inverters.

Right, that's something I'm not familiar with. If the SunnyIsland is UL1741SA/IEEE 1547 complaint there shouldn't be an issue (because that's why the standards exist!)...

Reactions: Ampster