Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok cool.. Yeah if you can hear static that means I'll be able to too and that'll annoy me. I'll let you work on the audio option.

I know the pinouts for the speaker which would help anyone with external amp but still doesn't help with a seamless integration like muting audio when phone call comes in or voice control etc... I'll see if i can dig up a wiring diagram for the MS and see is there's a way to feed analog audio in - I'm thinking most likely via the fm radio module

Do you have the pinout for the external amp? I have a defective aftermarket amp I bought on the bench thats no longer sold. I haven't really gotten to trying to repair it yet but a pinout would be immensely helpful.

Do you have the pinout for the external amp? I have a defective aftermarket amp I bought on the bench thats no longer sold. I haven't really gotten to trying to repair it yet but a pinout would be immensely helpful.
hey sorry late reply.. didnt see notification... here's the MCU wiring that I've found

@BearBu - hey! check this out, there's actually an FM Analog input behind the MCU... so perhaps the HDMI audio can feed straight into there, maybe with a remote switch in case people ACTUALLY want to listen to the FM radio or anything (no idea why they would... I know I don't)....

upload_2019-4-9_9-57-42.png

There's also a factory AMP option but it seems to just take the speaker output from the MCU as inputs for the AMP anyway.. 5 channels. All analog...

So I redid my install. This is the correct way for AP 2 cars. The hdmi interface box has to be on the output of the autopilot hardware versus the input side. This way you can enable it without affecting autopilot hardware reading the back camera.

This install actually proved to be much easier. Remove the glove compartment and the autopilot output line is in there. The correct cable is labeled in the manual. I mounted the hdmi box using some self tapping screws. I attached a picture of where I placed it. Its also much easier to get the hdmi cable to go underneath that little cubby underneath the screen using this install location.

hey sorry late reply.. didnt see notification... here's the MCU wiring that I've found

@BearBu - hey! check this out, there's actually an FM Analog input behind the MCU... so perhaps the HDMI audio can feed straight into there, maybe with a remote switch in case people ACTUALLY want to listen to the FM radio or anything (no idea why they would... I know I don't)....

View attachment 395133

There's also a factory AMP option but it seems to just take the speaker output from the MCU as inputs for the AMP anyway.. 5 channels. All analog...
too complicated for meo_O

@BearBu, I just received my HDMI kit but need some help with the installation. More specifically, finding the backup camera cable.
I do have a 2013 Model S, so it´s pre-AP. According to the installation documentation I should find two cables with blue connectors in the passenger side foot well behind the door sill towards the A-pillar.
Well, unfortunately I can't find those cables there.
This is how my foot well looks like at the place as outlined in the documentation:
footwell_passenger_side.jpg
I did find two fakra connectors (pink and beige) hidden in an indentation behind the large, white cable connector.
After I removed the tape on one of them I was able to disconnect it and found it only has a single wire (the cable is also much thinner compared to what is shown in the guide).
fakra_connector.jpg
Disconnecting it did not disable the camera and given it is only a single wire I believe it may be cables for the radio antenna. I did not find any change in reception disconnecting the one (neither FM nor DAB got worse - I did not get any reception for AM with the cable connected or disconnected).
I did not try disconnecting the pink one as I feel this is not related to the camera.

I also took a look at the driver side foot well but couldn't find any cables or connectors resembling what I need to find.

Any ideas?
Is there someone here who did this mod on a 2013 Model S?

@BearBu, I just received my HDMI kit but need some help with the installation. More specifically, finding the backup camera cable.
I do have a 2013 Model S, so it´s pre-AP. According to the installation documentation I should find two cables with blue connectors in the passenger side foot well behind the door sill towards the A-pillar.
Well, unfortunately I can't find those cables there.
This is how my foot well looks like at the place as outlined in the documentation:
View attachment 456652
I did find two fakra connectors (pink and beige) hidden in an indentation behind the large, white cable connector.
After I removed the tape on one of them I was able to disconnect it and found it only has a single wire (the cable is also much thinner compared to what is shown in the guide).
View attachment 456654
Disconnecting it did not disable the camera and given it is only a single wire I believe it may be cables for the radio antenna. I did not find any change in reception disconnecting the one (neither FM nor DAB got worse - I did not get any reception for AM with the cable connected or disconnected).
I did not try disconnecting the pink one as I feel this is not related to the camera.

I also took a look at the driver side foot well but couldn't find any cables or connectors resembling what I need to find.

Any ideas?
Is there someone here who did this mod on a 2013 Model S?
Hi

It looks like you opened the right side footwell.

The rear camera cable (4 pin blue fakra) is inside the LEFT footwell

Please refer to the below video clip made by a member from this forum

As mentioned in my post I actually also looked at the driver side foot well. No joy.
The installation video shows a AP1 or newer car which apparently has different cabling. I.e. I am missing that massive ground connection just below the upper clip location for the door sill. Also, my cales and connector seem different.

This is why I would like some feedback from someone who did this on a pre-AP car.

I didn't install the HDMI interface kit. But in 2014 I installed the Front Camera Kit on my 2013 S. If you have a rear camera (who doesn't), the cable from the camera runs up the left side under the door sill mouldings. It can be found by removing the front upper door sill panel and the left side kick panel. Its often has only a short amount of play and make its difficult to unplug.

On the AP cars, the reason it comes up the right side is because the AP engine is mounted above the glove box and the cables going in and coming out have a shorter distance to the center console screen. And when I reinstalled the Front Camera Kit on my 2017, I found the rear camera cable coming up the right side and I disconnected it inside the removed glove box.

Not that you are asking, but we have heard a '2015 or 16 X owner report that on his the rear camera came up from under the center console. This was the only time we heard of this location. It's documented in a thread here on TMC. Shucks, it might be one of the dozens of pages of posts on this very thread.

Thanks @Akikiki and @BearBu for the additional information.

With this I was able to find the backup camera cable. It was tugged in behind the carpet near the top of the dead pedal. Once I looked that far to the front it was easy to find.
tms_2013_camera_plug_location.jpg
I could pull out the cable a pretty decent amount so disconnecting it was very easy (and thereby testing it was the correct cable).

Reactions: Akikiki and BearBu
Hi BearBu, I just purchased one of these adapters for my 2013 Model S and have everything connected but am unable to get the signal to switch. When going through the pre-installation check I'm unable to get the HDMI box to click and have tried each of the three power cables from the CAN bus decoder as well as the two control signal connectors without any success. I've also tried reseating the OBD connector a few times as well. If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi BearBu, I just purchased one of these adapters for my 2013 Model S and have everything connected but am unable to get the signal to switch. When going through the pre-installation check I'm unable to get the HDMI box to click and have tried each of the three power cables from the CAN bus decoder as well as the two control signal connectors without any success. I've also tried reseating the OBD connector a few times as well. If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

FYI that the switching method for AP0 / Pre-AP Model S is on the cruise stalk. Please refer to the following video:

Also, Please check with your OBD port if you have Pin 1 and 9 available. If your car is made before June 2013, you probably don't have the Pin1 / Pin 9 (Chassis CAN 6) on the OBD port.

OBD pin comparison.jpg

Since I updated to iOS 13, my switch isn’t mirroring my iPhone 11 Pro. Could it be the aftermarket cable I am using? Wondering if I need to use the official Apple HDMI adapter...

Any IOS update would block some aftermarket smartphone to HDMI adaptor.......

But using the official Apple HDMI adaptor could mute the audio / BT channel when it is in R (reverse) mode (reported by some users). I didn't test it with official Apple HDMI adaptor before

A question.
I have a model 3 and I would like to know if I could connect a raspberry to the car.
What image quality would we get?
Fullscreen?
Using the Raspberry could you watch HBO, Netflix, Movistar and Amazon Video?
What about the audio?
Thank you