Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appletv doesn’t support Bluetooth to a vehicle (try pairing your appletv now to your vehicle and see it won’t work). You need to extract audio from hdmi out and transmit it using an external Bluetooth transmitter. Whether that transmitter supports a delay is an issue but the problem isn’t you need to add delay - you need to remove it! Which Bluetooth can’t have negative delay.
Gotcha. Makes sense. I have the kit for my X but haven’t installed it for this reason. I can’t believe no one has made a T harness or something to go in line get a direct Line In Aux cable.

Will this work with the Plaid? I'd like to install my Apple TV in the car and have it connect directly via an HDMI cable.
Glad you answered this. Had a 2014 pre ap s85 but it was in a accident so ended up with a 2016.5 75d with a fsd cpu. Still has mcu1 but Still got my beatsonic hdmi unit and wasn’t sure if it would work with newer hardware. I’ll have to check out the pics and instructions.

Appletv doesn’t support Bluetooth to a vehicle (try pairing your appletv now to your vehicle and see it won’t work). You need to extract audio from hdmi out and transmit it using an external Bluetooth transmitter. Whether that transmitter supports a delay is an issue but the problem isn’t you need to add delay - you need to remove it! Which Bluetooth can’t have negative delay.
Funny i was playing with my HDMI box a few days ago, with my old MCU1 there was an analog input harness for the radio so i was able to just splice the wire, tune to a non-existent AM station (so you get silence instead of static on FM) and just have clean audio coming through like an aux port. I lost that with MCU2 upgrade and was thinking of how else to solve the problem. According to Bearbu (original creator of the box) there's already a delay built into the HDMI box to offset the audio delay but as far as I can tell, bluetooth is now the only option to get sound into the MCU without taking the MCU apart and soldering in a customer AUX port on the main board itself.

Funny i was playing with my HDMI box a few days ago, with my old MCU1 there was an analog input harness for the radio so i was able to just splice the wire, tune to a non-existent AM station (so you get silence instead of static on FM) and just have clean audio coming through like an aux port. I lost that with MCU2 upgrade and was thinking of how else to solve the problem. According to Bearbu (original creator of the box) there's already a delay built into the HDMI box to offset the audio delay but as far as I can tell, bluetooth is now the only option to get sound into the MCU without taking the MCU apart and soldering in a customer AUX port on the main board itself.
i had a hdmi box that would split audio out to headphone jack, then fm transmitter from that , solved the delay from bluetooth but like you mentioned still had static sometimes on mcu 1 . on mcu 2 with the fm tuner add on it seemed a bit better .

i had a hdmi box that would split audio out to headphone jack, then fm transmitter from that , solved the delay from bluetooth but like you mentioned still had static sometimes on mcu 1 . on mcu 2 with the fm tuner add on it seemed a bit better .
Yeah i just dunno how i feel about spending yet another $500 on an FM module. Seriously tho an aux port has been standard on car stereos since the turn of the millennium. I wish Tesla came up with ann aux port, even if it's one of those optic fibre ones, cos transmitting via FM as an aux is something people used to do back in like the early 90s, for such an advanced car to resort to that is just ridiculous

Reactions: rickyjb
Does anyone know, or have any specs or documentation to what the ethernet tuner IP protocol might look like? Perhaps it's possible to create a module that mimics the "FM radio" but actually takes an external hardwired audio input like PCM/SPDIF? Google have turned up absolutely zilch aside from Teslatap's reference to the pin assignments and that it requires a toolbox config to enable. We know it's a Harman radio unit, I don't imagine this was invented purely for Tesla so a similar unit could be already used in other high end european cars, so there should be some literature floating around somewhere that describes the message format between the MCU and the ethernet tuner, and maybe @BearBu (if he's still lurking around) could come up with an AUX interface box for that? :)

I just installed the HDMI interface on my 2014 MS. Didn't get the courage to install the 360 kit yet (it is sitting here unopened till I get the courage).
The good part - I have Samsung S10 that I connected wired to the HDMI. I have a cheap USB-C HDMI dock. Screen mirroring did not work. But as soon as I switched to Dex view - voila! full desktop mode working without any issues. I can use the phone as the touchpad to operate it. Netflix, Youtube, Maps all work without any issues! Don't see any audio lag as well with Netflix.

Thanks for the great product BearBu! It is excellently made. Great work.

I can confirm that this is the way. Previously I was running an Apple TV via a HDMI splitter (input: hdmi, output: hdmi + 3.5mm audio) into a FM radio transmitter. It was OK on both MCU1 and now MCU2 due to intermittent reception static. Recently got a Samsung S21 FE ($400 at Best Buy) and DEX works flawlessly.

Step 1) Pair your phone with the car
Step 2) Plug USB-C into the HDMI input in bearbu's box
Step 3) Press the bottom left corner (DEX button) on your Samsung Galaxy phone

The phone then becomes just a virtual touchpad, and the display is now some version of what looks like a chromebook. Audio/Video sync sounds pretty good to me, on par with the FM transmitter. I am on MCU2 though (in a AP1 X) FWIW.

I can confirm that this is the way. Previously I was running an Apple TV via a HDMI splitter (input: hdmi, output: hdmi + 3.5mm audio) into a FM radio transmitter. It was OK on both MCU1 and now MCU2 due to intermittent reception static. Recently got a Samsung S21 FE ($400 at Best Buy) and DEX works flawlessly.

Step 1) Pair your phone with the car
Step 2) Plug USB-C into the HDMI input in bearbu's box
Step 3) Press the bottom left corner (DEX button) on your Samsung Galaxy phone

The phone then becomes just a virtual touchpad, and the display is now some version of what looks like a chromebook. Audio/Video sync sounds pretty good to me, on par with the FM transmitter. I am on MCU2 though (in a AP1 X) FWIW.
This is the same way I do it. It lets me use my phone while playing whatever I want on the tesla screen

Reactions: CravingMender9
Wanted to add some more info - regular screen mirroring also works flawlessly after you change the resolution of your phone to some specific one (can't remember which).
I did that with my S10 and it worked. I don't have the S10 anymore and have S21 FE now. I haven't tried finding the correct resolution on this phone yet, but can try sometime and post back here (unless someone else can try and tell us first).

;)We are making a board that allows HDMI signal (1080p/1080i/720p) and have it projected on the MCU (touchscreen) thru the LVDS port from the rear camera. The fine-tuning is ongoing and would probably finished by mid July. Will post some pics as update from time to time

With the HDMI done and workable , the 360 around system, smartphone mirroring, videos playback etc are nolonger a dream. ;)

Stay tuned!

View attachment 313452
I’m interested in help you bring model 3 hdmi interface to model 3 contact me on dm face book MAL Back Talking Tesla

I would be happy to test out in my model 3 I’m no stranger to pulling my car apart to assist manfacturers Hanshow EVOffer autoSonos to name a few manufactures who have benefited from engineering and audio skills back ground You can reach out to me on face book youtube you can direct message me if that would be helpful regards
MAL Back Talking Tesla

Bought one second hand from a 2017 Model X user. Wired everything up but no click when pulling the stalk. Anybody here able to help or have suggestions?

2013 Model S PreAP.

may be a silly question ( same pre ap car too ) , just checking you are pulling the cruise control stalk towards you ? If so make sure the stalk is not pressed in before pulling it towards you ( orange light should be off ) .

other than that double check connections , i had one not seat correctly which lead to issues .

may be a silly question ( same pre ap car too ) , just checking you are pulling the cruise control stalk towards you ? If so make sure the stalk is not pressed in before pulling it towards you ( orange light should be off ) .

other than that double check connections , i had one not seat correctly which lead to issues .
Correct. I tried with the orange light off and on. Neither worked. I triple checked all of the connections :(

Reactions: rickyjb