Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning to make the 1st batch of 100set of such project, and , due to the relative small volume, the production cost is cheap with the time and effort spent from our team.

What we can see and foresee is the cost for this 1st batch. If the market potential as well as volume is getting bigger , the product cost as well the initial investment cost can be diluted at a significant rate. This is what we are eager to see in the future.

Btw, I hope this would be a fair game to your side and my side. The bill of material of an iPhone X is also less than $100

Also, I should mention, this is an extremely unfinished product that has not been demo'd to mirror Smartphone displays. The risk/reward here simply isn't worth it. If it's a success and the product is a hit, the price will drop as you said. Early Adopters will pay more for a very young product that might have a lot of issues.

I love the idea, but the execution here is way off.

Reactions: boerlin and JohnnyG
My previous car was a Lexus and I come from Club Lexus. I'm used to product introductions there. I was expecting you will be selling us early adopters at near BOM cost and we together help you diagnose problems, suggest you features along the way you make your product mature and stable. Later as you get popular (also because of us, community mostly), you can gradually increase the price to your target price (500$ is still bad) and the community stands with you even when other people clone your idea and start selling copies.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
The fund raising is supposed to somehow covering the initial development cost (engineering , hardware, software, time spent, trial and error, opportunity cost)for the first batch of 100set, and yes, the fun raising idea from Kickstarter / Indiegogo is risk-taking game. Btw, “projects” in Kickstarter are mostly in development stage and I am not going to take Kickstarter as a sales platform / channel. The project volume is 100set.

The production cost for small quantity is not cheap (I think I had a typo in the previous message), even in China.

Anyway, Appreciate for your comments and thoughts

Reactions: hiroshiy
@BearBu - I agree with your desire to recoup your hard work and investment, both in time and materials. I'd want the same and I want it for you. I would be glad to help test any homelink needs you have, but, I also am out at $500. I can't justify that to the wife. The Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is <$200 for me I believe. Just a data point.

I'll do whatever I can to help you though - it's people like you that make the forum and diy community very fun.

I have to agree with the forum consensus as well.
I would be pretty upset to find that I paid $500 for something that is in development and ultimately does not reach the actual goal of mirroring of functionality with and Apple TV or the such.
Then I end up buying it again to get what I really want for another $200. Nah.
I usually am the 1st one to jump on gadgets like this (Club Lexus Vaistech stuff included) but I don't want to end up with a alpha or beta product that sucks, then end up having to buy the consumer version later.

Reactions: wedge07 and JohnnyG
What is the cost difference for creating 100 or 500 units? I'm guessing hardly anymore for 500. That being said I think you could easily sell 500 to the Tesla Community. Put your offer up at a hundred or $200 each but don't take the money or make any promises until you get your 500 orders. Could work! And if you ship 500 that work, you'll sell 5000 no problem. I know I would buy one! Let's see 5000 orders X $100 each, hmm, that's a lot of money!

@BearBu - I agree with your desire to recoup your hard work and investment, both in time and materials. I'd want the same and I want it for you. I would be glad to help test any homelink needs you have, but, I also am out at $500. I can't justify that to the wife. The Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is <$200 for me I believe. Just a data point.

I'll do whatever I can to help you though - it's people like you that make the forum and diy community very fun.
I am totally useing "WAF" from now on.

lol

Smartphone mirror (Samsung S8+) FYI

D8CA80C0-9957-4663-A5AA-2B2FFEC69588.jpeg
B9854115-4789-4F3B-9AB2-061AF8E138E9.jpeg

Will do iphone 7S tonight

Reactions: David99 and Matias